Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 07:15 AM

This machine was listed in our local classifieds this weekend.  Since reading of Daniel (old cow hand) and other's experience with these machines I've been wanting to get one... This one has the 3ph and a rear PTO... I'm thinking his price is a little high, though.  What do y'all think?

http://www.ksl.com/?...napper&ad_cid=5

Smitty

• A.C.T. and gtcsreg have said thanks

#2 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 07:31 AM

" Im in no rush to sell"  Seller knows he is overpriced. So expect hard negotiations. Smitty, your the best guy for the job!

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 07:41 AM

.I see the engine head tin shroud is missing from the one side.  3pt came off a Massey model, as by the paint color.  Looks pretty weathered, so ya better look over it well.  He's way high on it though!  If you can't run & drive it, don't think about buying it, unless it's at a very low price.  I wouldn't go over $500 - $600 unless she ran/operated like brand new.

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 08:05 AM

Just looking at the photo it looks pretty rough. All that rust on the console control levers makes me think it's been outside for a while. It certainly has potential to be a very nice tractor. These things always seem to look much better in a photo then they do up close. 

#5 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,807 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 08:13 AM

If its been outside the plastic will probably be brittle. My dash is falling apart because the plastic is so brittle. Good Luck, Rick

#6 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • Member No: 55814
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 08:42 AM

"No rush to sell"...."Very collectable".....

He's fishing and knows its overpriced..Id love to have an 1855 myself but I think that's pretty high.

#7 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 09:12 AM

I have to add that around here that would be a very reasonable price..Anything with a 3-point and a PTO automatically adds $1000 to the price and Im not joking at all.

Edited by Kentucky, May 19, 2014 - 09:13 AM.

#8 ENafziger OFFLINE  

ENafziger
  • Member No: 45112
  • 254 Thanks
  • 254 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 10:34 AM

That'd be a pretty fair price for around here.  I've almost never seen one in the eastern US for the $500-600 range, unless it was missing major pieces like the engine, etc.  It doesn't look that rusty to me for a 35 year old tractor. I guess what part of the country you're from makes all the difference though...

#9 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 01:04 PM

That'd be a pretty fair price for around here.  I've almost never seen one in the eastern US for the $500-600 range, unless it was missing major pieces like the engine, etc.  It doesn't look that rusty to me for a 35 year old tractor. I guess what part of the country you're from makes all the difference though...

Your in Knoxville not all that far from me so Id say you see about the same prices that I do..Things tend to run high here I can tell you that for sure. I had people say that $650 was too much for a JD 216 in good shape but around here that's about $200 below average.

#10 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 01:43 PM

I have to add that around here that would be a very reasonable price..Anything with a 3-point and a PTO automatically adds $1000 to the price and Im not joking at all.

The PTO is a nice feature, but it's just the shaft that the gear reduction unit hooks to... I think it runs at engine speed if I understand correctly.

If he was at about half the price I would be interested, but I'm working a deal on a couple Bolens H11XLS right now... one runs, with manual lift, other missing engine, but has hydraulic lift... Price is right... gonna go see them Friday.

My GTs are like rabbits--even when I thin 'em out a little, they seem to keep multiplying again....

Smitty

#11 Kentucky OFFLINE  

Kentucky
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 02:07 PM

good luck on the bolens. I think your right its engine speed pto and requires a massey tiller? I may be wrong someone correct me if I am.

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 04:06 PM

No, it looks to be the entire pto unit, which will be 2000rpm, standard in GT world.  The power shaft from engine is up top, then pulley reduction to the female output at the bottom.

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 06:52 AM

No, it looks to be the entire pto unit, which will be 2000rpm, standard in GT world.  The power shaft from engine is up top, then pulley reduction to the female output at the bottom.

That's good to know, Daniel. I had seen a MF speed reduction init on the forum--had a metal guard and male output shaft, so I thought this one was incomplete.

Smitty

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: snapper 1855, massey-ferguson 1855, simplicity 1855, pto