12 replies to this topic

#1 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 53758
  • 375 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 11:59 PM

We'll here I go again. The 1556 hydrostatic drive is making noise and will lose power going up hills. Can these be fixed. Or do you take a chance on a used one.

#2 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 04:56 AM

We'll here I go again. The 1556 hydrostatic drive is making noise and will lose power going up hills. Can these be fixed. Or do you take a chance on a used one.

Need to identify why it's losing power uphill. I have read that overheating can cause this. Are the fins and the fan blade clean and is the fan blade intact and in good condition? Do you see any wetness at any of the connections indicating a leak? What does the fluid look like? Look for the little things first before thinking you may need to tear it open.

Looking forward to your answers.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#3 Husky ONLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 06:31 AM

I agree with mybolens1053. Let us know how those things look. Also a plugged oil filter will cause a loss of power as would air in the system. Keep us posted on what you find hopefully it is not a total loss. 

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#4 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 375 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 11:22 AM

The system had a little water in it when I got it . I flushed the system the best I could. I took off the old filter and blew air thru the fill hole on top of the unit, this would blow out most of the old oil thru the oil filter connection. Also by moving the ram back and forth when blowing would help get a little more old fluid out. Then I installed a new filter and used a heavy duty automatic trans fluid made for hydro static drive trans. When I first tested it I could put it up against something that doesn't move and both wheels would spin. As far as getting hot, I don't think so, fan blades looked good and all was cleaned. Out on the flat lawn it will be real quiet but as soon as you hit any kind of grade it will start wining like a little girl. I am not loseing fluid but I will check for leaks, I did get a big burp out of the fill tank one day but I think that was from me blowing out the system, it only did it once.

#5 Hydrohusky OFFLINE  

Hydrohusky
  • Member No: 48182
  • 36 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 08:08 PM

This is a long shot, but, when i first took ownership of my 1556, the tension spring on the drive belts was failing. When put under load, (going up a hill) the drive belts would start to deflect the tensioning spring and the hydro would grown loudly and lose momentum. I replaced the spring with one from one of our vendors here and it's been good since. (Full winter of plowing)

Edited by Hydrohusky, May 19, 2014 - 08:08 PM.

• sodisr, MyBolens1053 and Rainier have said thanks

#6 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 10:20 AM

Rainier,,,  sorry to hear.... ALL good things to check  before getting to scared and buying someone ele's problems..  Funny that you could spin the wheels.earlier,,  AND not now ???    Try spinning the wheels now and see if it reacts like it doe's going up an incline..

If all else fails  I would go rebuild...  ( Hope that's not the case )  I never tried it but have heard ,,, it's not that hard...  I have heard of a guy,,,,,  MR. DAD  on other fourums..   Thad rebuilds them..

Good luck and keep us posted                                                                      sodi

• MyBolens1053 and Rainier have said thanks

#7 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 375 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 11:03 AM

I'll check that spring it has been very bouncy. I have new belts to put on there today

#8 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 375 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 11:58 AM

If a guy was to rebuild one, where would you get parts?

#9 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 375 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 01:29 PM

Ok put new belts on and it made a big difference. It quieted down and would pull the hill with no problem, then after about half an hour it would not pull its self up the hill.
Here is a pic of the belts I put on, maybe this is the problem?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#10 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 375 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 01:33 PM

Oh ya
This is the fluid I'm running in it, maybe this is a problem?

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#11 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 09:06 AM

Rainier,,,???   doe's your'e engine bog down going up the hill,, or  just that it has no power..??

My large frame doe's that a little... But my engine seems to bog..I just contribute it to an older engine,and the locking throtle seems to slide in abit so the RPMs drop..   Not enough to worry about yet...  That's where hydros come in nicely

Belts either work...   or they slip... try soap on your'e belts ( the inside ) if that helps,,, then I would get some belt dressing...

#12 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 05:22 AM

Ok put new belts on and it made a big difference. It quieted down and would pull the hill with no problem, then after about half an hour it would not pull its self up the hill.
Here is a pic of the belts I put on, maybe this is the problem?

Oh ya
This is the fluid I'm running in it, maybe this is a problem?

Well, you may be on to something here. Your Bolens was made in the USA. Your aftermarket products are labeled in Spanish. :rolling:

All joking aside, you mentioned a 'burp' and you used compressed air. I remember reading on another site that there is a check valve that can get boogered up if that is done. It's internal and has a ball bearing in it, if I recall.

Run your tractor for a bit until you get the failing of power and then check the temp of the hydro. See if it is really hot.

• Rainier said thank you

#13 Rainier OFFLINE  

Rainier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • 375 Thanks
  • 392 posts

Posted June 03, 2014 - 09:27 PM

i checked the tempeture and it was a little over a hundered deg. in the tank. this was after running it up and down the hill until it would not do it any more.

I am not sure what the temp should be. I would love to find a service manual for it. and if a guy was going to work on one where whould you get parts?

PS sorry for the delay in responce, i had to go to Dutch Harbor for work!!! not much internet there.