• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Diesel guy OFFLINE  

Diesel guy
  • Member No: 57503
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 09:21 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post. I just purchased a simplicity sunstar 18 with the Briggs vanguard. 48" deck with power steering and a hyd lift in the rear. I was just curious as to what everyone seems to think about these mowers. I haven't heard much bad about them. But always good to hear some first hand experiences and things (if any) to keep an eye on other than the usual things (oil levels, etc). I will say that I rode it around some today and it has independent brakes (or the option to split the brake pedals and use them separately at least) but when I tried to use them independently, they kick the hydro lever back to the neutral position. Which mowers I have used before that are hydro do this but it seems that with this tractor doing that the independent brake option is pretty much useless?? Any input on that would be great as well. Sorry for the long post! Thanks in advance for any info
  • Talntedmrgreen said thank you

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 09:23 PM

Welcome to GTtalk, Someone will be along shortly to help you out.

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 09:24 PM

I do not have one nor have I had the pleasure to try them, but they do have a decent reputation.
I am pretty sure that several members have (or had) them and should be able to give you some feedback.

Looking forward to seeing pics and :welcometogttalk:

#4 Diesel guy OFFLINE  

Diesel guy
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome . I will say that this thing is a TANK. Can't believe how heavily built it is. I'm pretty new to the world of older GTs. I think I've found a new hobby!! Here's a picture of it on the trailer. More to come of it out doing some work later! ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400466868.594819.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 10:06 PM

The Sunstar is a great little tractor.  One of my favorites.  It is a horse for work.  The hydraulic lift on the rear is a bonus. 

Ben W. 

• MH81 said thank you

#6 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 10:27 PM

Welcome here. I'm a previous owner and my wife's family has four of them. The first thing I would do is pull the tunnel cover off and check the condition of the drive shaft universal joints. For some reason people tend to not grease the rear one and this can lead to real problems for the Hydro input shaft. If the joint feels good grease it and if the shaft seal isn't leaking you should be good to go. 

Also make sure the front suspension is being maintained. 

They are very good tractors and deserve to be taken care. It should serve you well for many years to come. 

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#7 Diesel guy OFFLINE  

Diesel guy
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 10:37 PM

I'll have to check the shaft! What all should I check out on the front end. What is the suspension comprised of? It has about 1395 hrs on it. What the average lifespan of one of properly maintained??

#8 rustyoldjunk OFFLINE  

rustyoldjunk

Has anybody seen my coffee ?

• Member No: 325
  • 2,368 Thanks
  • 1,212 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 12:01 AM

I love mine,it is my go to machine. I believe that when you use the brakes independently the hydro is suppose to reduce speed so that you don't accidentally make a a fast super sharp turn. You can down load and print manuals for it. Here is a link to the owners manual,if it works. http://bsintek.basco...rE3CNg5kbp796Dq

Attached Thumbnails

• sunstar.jpg 12.jpg

• MH81 and Alc have said thanks

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 05:35 AM

Welcome to GTTalk , Jim might be right about turning too quick , when I use the brakes at all on my JD 318 you can see the hydro lever go back towards netural by it's self but never to the extent that yours might be I bet the  hydo/brake must have some kind of adjustment . Keep us posted , Al

#10 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,167 Thanks
  • 5,759 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 07:10 AM

:welcometogttalk:

#11 Diesel guy OFFLINE  

Diesel guy
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm going to mow with it today I'll post up the results. Never been so excited to mow the grass :)

#12 Diesel guy OFFLINE  

Diesel guy
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 07:15 AM

Thanks everyone! I'm going to mow with it today I'll post up the results. Never been so excited to mow the grass :)

#13 Diesel guy OFFLINE  

Diesel guy
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 09:01 AM

Ok fellas. Here's the latest. I just finished up mowing. This thing is an absolute animal compared to my grandfathers JD 325ohv that I have been using. But I've noticed a few issues. The engine has developed a pretty good oil leak on the left bank. Looks like it may just be a head gasket. I was told that it hasn't been used in 2-3 years. Next, with the engine running I pulled the oil fill cap off. Seemed to have excessive amounts of blowby so I performed a compression test. Results are : right bank- 130psi

Left bank- 165-170psi. What's your thoughts? The tractor runs very well I thought. So maybe not an issue?

#14 Diesel guy OFFLINE  

Diesel guy
  • 2 Thanks
  • 9 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 09:01 AM

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400508077.087522.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1400508088.755619.jpg

Top one is right bank bottom one is left

#15 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 09:24 AM

Might just be tight valves on the low cylinder. 

Some of the twins do seems to move a lot of air in the crankcase while they are running. Personally if it is not using oil or smoking I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

• Alc said thank you