• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 79gt17 OFFLINE  

79gt17
  • Member No: 57368
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 07:16 PM

Hello all hope every 1 had a safe and super weekend !!!  Ok  I have a  late 70s early to mid 80s Ariens GT17 just got it up and runnin was mowin the front 40  and turned it off as company pulled up ... when they left I tried to fire it up again was turnin over slowly and did not fire  ,,,,  now it  only clicks at solenoid no starter engagement at all only click at solenoid  ... starter was very hot  to touch  I let it cool for a few hours  and same result ,,,, so best way to remove starter would be ?  ty for your input  !!!

• c--line said thank you

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 07:27 PM

Is your battery healthy? I would try to jump start it to eliminate the battery as a cause. If it still won't turn over then I'd look at the wiring from the battery to solenoid and then to the starter. If that checks out and you have a good connection to the battery - terminal from the engine chassis you may have to remove the starter. If you have a voltmeter you could check  the voltage at the starter when cranking. In most cases you will have to remove or at least lift the engine from the frame to get the starter off. I don't have an Ariens but have a KT17 in a JD317.  

• Cvans, boyscout862, superaben and 2 others have said thanks

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 10:44 PM

If it is getting hot right away there is a good chance that your armature is starting to drag and the starter is due for a rebuild. Check the things Brian mentioned first and then pull the starter and make sure it spins freely with no unusual noises. 

• 79gt17 and c--line have said thanks

#4 79gt17 OFFLINE  

79gt17
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 10:51 PM

Im thinking it's fried .... It has dragged a lil since day 1 and it was really hot today when I checked it ....  Imo  it locked up Il be taking starter out tomorrow  =(   Thanks for the help all  =) ..... any secret starter rebuild kits  available on line  ?

#5 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 12:40 AM

any secret starter rebuild kits  available on line  ?

The only time I needed a starter Kit I found it on E-bay. Just google the brand and model number and see what comes up. I'd be leery of purchasing a used starter as there is a good chance that it's been around a while also.

Good luck.

• 79gt17 said thank you

#6 79gt17 OFFLINE  

79gt17
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 03:51 PM

Well all went out morning and fired the GT17 right up think starter was really hot ..... mowed 3.5 acres so far so good  =)) Have a great 1  ty all for your help and input !!!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bad day