• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • Member No: 57486
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 06:50 PM

Well good and bad news....good news is I think I figured out why it is running poorly and had fuel in oil. Injectors were slobbering but the shop thinks they can be dimmed back to spec. The pump WAS leaking externally and I guess the barrels were worn so bad they have to be replaced. Im happy to be figuring it out.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#17 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 01:13 AM

Do all of the fuel filter assemblies have springs in them? I wasn't sure if mine was missing or if it was a later revision of the housing where the spring isn't required. Also does anyone know what size the fuel hoses are? I was gonna replace them all.

#18 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 12:39 AM

Well I got the pump and injectors back and figured out I have low compression across all of the cylinders so I have pulled the head. Does these pictures look like the head gasket was blown and could cause low compression/blow by? It also looks like the head gasket has black silicone all over it, is that normal?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140601_001401.jpg
  • 20140601_001347.jpg

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 07:36 AM

I can't see any signs of a blown gasket.  If it were blown, you'd know it.  Blown between cylinders is almost a no-run situation, and blown to the water jacket would be pushing water out your radiator overflow like mad.  More likely worn rings, accelerated by the diesel fuel in the oil.  It causes the oil to be washed from the cylinder wall, providing poor lubrication to the rings.

#20 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 09:05 AM

I wasn't getting any leaking into the cooling system as far as I could tell but I had fuel to every cylinder and it still wouldn't start. All of the cylinders were below 300 with the front one being 220. I thought that the gasket might not be sealing seeing the black discoloration surrounding all of the cylinders. The gasket looked like someone had taken it apart before and used silicone in an attempt to reuse it.

#21 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 09:21 AM

I have a manual that states minimum compression for your engine.  MINIMUM is 355psi, with max difference between cylinders of 71psi.  None of your cylinders meet minimum compression specs I'm afraid.  

#22 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 09:28 AM

Would them being this low cause a no start? It sounds like it's trying but just doesn't quite do it. I don't know whether to put a new head gasket in it and try it or to pull it out and clean up the cylinders with a ball hone and rering it.

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 09:41 AM

Yes, the low compression will make for really hard starting, even in hot weather.  If it were me, as much as I hate to say it, I'd re-ring it.  The gaskets are high dollar, and I think it would just be wasting the new gasket not to re-ring it first.  Gonna be costly, but worth it if you want to keep & use it.  You already got your injector pump fixed.

• 12VRattler said thank you

#24 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted June 01, 2014 - 01:18 PM

Yea it's frusrating....im debating at this point whether to try to get back what I have in it or keep at it.There is a decent ridge at the top of the cylinders, hope it doesnt need more than a ball hone.

#25 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted June 21, 2014 - 07:37 PM

Update.....pulled it all apart and honed the cylinders along with new rings and head gasket. Adjusted the valves and everything looks good internally.....BUT it still does the same damn thing without the blowby. It will not start without a shot of starting fluid....and yes I know the dangers of this. Glow plugs are new and are getting voltage. It still idles very rough and sometimes will respond to throttle input but mostly will not respond when moving the throttle lever. Any ideas? The fuel pump is working and putting out more than the minimum spec but it is acting like it is fuel starved.

Edited by 12VRattler, June 22, 2014 - 10:04 AM.