• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • Member No: 57486
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 04:00 PM

I bought a 332 last week with some issues that I knew I would have to address. It is in pretty good shape and the hour meter says a little over 700 hours. It starts and runs but has a good amount of blow by. I did a compression test and one is a little out of spec but not by much. It seems to have fuel in the oil so I did an oil change on it. It ran for about 20 minutes in my garage and has fuel in the oil again!! It runs very rough and is hard as heck to start. I pulled the injection pump out and it isn't leaking into the oil, so I am starting to suspect that I may have an injector problem. I did get a couple of videos of it attempting to run. The electric fuel pump is working

as well. I had the injectors out and apart to clean them and it was very difficult to start even after bleeding every injector line at the injector. If it isn't the injection pump diluting the oil, it has to be an injector right?

http://youtu.be/k9nJEb7IzQI

http://youtu.be/w2z5u7kKgqE

• Texas Deere and Horse and A.C.T. have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 04:14 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. That one is beyond me. I wonder if the fuel pump has been messed with and is out of time or too rich.

I'm sure there will be some useful help here soon. 

#3 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 08:27 PM

The oil level has risen about 1/4" running it today but it is starting easier....I think that the injectors need replaced but is there anything else that I'm missing?
  • A.C.T. said thank you

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 08:38 PM

The way to blows black smoke while you are trying to start it makes me think you have a pump that is set way too rich.. But I'm not as big a diesel man as some on here are. I would have the pump checked if it were mine. And when you say you took the injectors apart, how did you set the pop off when you put them back together?

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Try some good fuel injector cleaning additive first, such as Lucas or Seafoam treatments.  If your injector isn't popping off at high pressure, then it won't fire properly & will wash the cylinder walls, and some will get past the rings.  It can also cause wear on the piston, rings, and cylinder wall.

Best to have an expert look at the pump/injector settings.

#6 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 08:54 PM

Something else I'll add is that it will idle and will not respond to throttle input. It will also surge and start running very rough and die. Other times it will act decent just run with a noticeable miss. I noticed tonight that a screw with a locking nut on top has been tampered with in top of the pump. There is no one around here to mess with the pump and injectors that I know of.

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 08:57 PM

The idling with no throttle response sounds like my JD F935 when it had an air leak into the suction side of the fuel pump.  It also would start surging & die.  Air in the system wouldn't cause fuel in the oil though.

#8 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 09:37 PM

I temporarily replaced the fuel hose between the filter and injection pump with a piece of clear hose. I noticed some small air bubbles...very tiny ones. What was weird was when it ran decent I could see good flow though the line towards the injection pump. When it starts trying to die and rattling the fuel in the clear line is flowing back towards the filter....it looks like the fuel is flowing backward.
  • Alc and A.C.T. have said thanks

#9 1971Deere OFFLINE  

1971Deere

• Member No: 1289
  • 48 Thanks
  • 66 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 12:39 AM

Welcome to the forum. Not sure how the fuel is getting in the oil. There is a fuel tranfer pump feeding to the filter.

Here is the test for it.

Perform test at room temperature.
Disconnect fuel transfer pump outlet hose from
fuel filter (330, 332) or fuel/water separator (430).
Put end of hose in a graduated container.
Turn key switch to ON/RUN position for 30
seconds and record amount of fuel in container.
DO NOT start engine.

MINIMUM FUEL FLOW

330 and 332 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 200 mL/30 seconds
(7 oz/30 seconds)

430 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 600 mL/30 seconds
(20 oz/30 seconds)

• Alc said thank you

#10 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 01:58 PM

I know the pump is putting that amount out easy. I pumped all of the old fuel out in 10 minutes and it was a little over 2 gallons

#11 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 12:44 PM

Is the pump supposed to come on and then shutoff until the tractor is started? Mine runs continually with the switch on. I can hear it clicking and rattling but when I pinch the hose between the filter and injection pump with my finger it stops making noise....why would that be? Is it pumping fuel somewhere with the fuel off?

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 02:31 PM

There is a return line from the injection pump to the fuel tank.  Fuel is circulated to prevent fuel getting too hot in the injection pump.

#13 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 11:43 PM

That return line is on the injectors though right? It would only return fuel when the pintle in the injector moves so the tractor would have to be running....am I thinkin right on that one? There is only one line in on the injection pump and the three out to the injectors.

I noticed in the parts breakdown that there is a spring under the fuel filter. Do all of them have that because mine doesn't and I don't know if it supposed to or not.

#14 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 07:35 AM

That return line is on the injectors though right? It would only return fuel when the pintle in the injector moves so the tractor would have to be running....am I thinkin right on that one? There is only one line in on the injection pump and the three out to the injectors.

I noticed in the parts breakdown that there is a spring under the fuel filter. Do all of them have that because mine doesn't and I don't know if it supposed to or not.

You're thinking right, I brain farted.  Are you SURE there isn't fuel leaking from the pump body into the crankcase?  It sounds like that is your source of fuel in the oil.  I have no knowledge on the spring, but sounds correct.

#15 12VRattler OFFLINE  

12VRattler
  • 8 Thanks
  • 15 posts

Posted May 21, 2014 - 05:38 PM

I took it to a pump shop along with the injectors so hopefully they can figure out if something is wrong with them
  • olcowhand and Texas Deere and Horse have said thanks