#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 01:23 PM

In Church this morning, we had a new couple introduced that will be going to an African nation to start a church. They showed numerous pictures and a short video of the people who live there and the poverty that they are living. Those folks really have to work hard in order to survive. They don't have parents that they can turn to for money or handouts whenever there is a need. After watching the video, it got me thinking about the ways of life here in the United States, not only about how good we have things, but also about how things have changed throughout the years. 

We as Americans have some of the best material things available to us. A lot of things that make life much more easier to live. So much more easier, that we are getting away from the ways of life that our parents, grandparents, and ancestors taught us to live. 

For example, we were taught to work hard for the things that we wanted. By planting and growing our own food, we could appreciate the blessings and rewards that our efforts have given us. Most of the people now days are content to just buy the fruits and vegetables at the store and or farmers markets, but yet have the guts enough to complain about the high prices. Most people don't want to work, so they don't know or understand the time and effort it takes to cultivate the soil, plant the seeds, spend hours in the heat pulling weeds, and then going row by row picking everything. Then there is the money to buy the equipment, keep the equipment maintained, and to make sure there is gas to run the equipment. 

I ask you, have we as a society grown that blind or that lazy to just take everything for granted, and expect the world to hand us what we want on a silver platter? Who are we to complain about things that aren't meeting our standards, if we aren't willing to put forth the effort to change things? It seems that people just don't want to work for what they want anymore. America was built on hard work, faith, and dedication. Our forefathers are probably rolling over in their graves, and feeling like their efforts were all for nothing. Take for example our younger generation right now. They don't want to work. They just want to party, text, or play video games. They don't get any type of exercise and most are severely over weight. Why? Is it their fault? Maybe, but I feel that it's more like our fault as parents, more than theirs. Think back to the 40's and 50's, if you can, and think of the things that we had to do that America today has gotten away from, or has made easier. Sure they may be small things, but in a way, they were very important. Back then we had to get up off our butts to: change the TV station dial, turn on or change the speed of the ceiling fan, answer the telephone, look for the phone book, write out checks, lock each door in the house before going to bed at night, clean the carpets, make coffee, and so on. In today's world, thanks to convenience, technology, and computers, most of the appliances that we own come standard with remote control. There is a gadget that you turn on that will sweep the carpets by itself, and most people don't have a coffee pot anymore, it's just easier to stop at Starbucks. If these things are allowed to be used in our homes, and we use them to make our lives easier, then why wouldn't our kids want their way of life easier too? Why work if you don't have to? Wasn't it us, the parents, that bought them that phone so they can text us should practice go a little later than normal? I mean, we couldn't just sit and wait in the parking lot a few minutes until practice is over right? That same phone or that X-Box that play's games, was bought for them last Christmas, correct? Was that bought to make the kids happy, or was it to keep the kids content and out of Mom and Dad's hair for a few hours?  

As parents we must show our younger generation how to work. Most of the teachers in our school district aren't much older than my oldest son. So if the teacher doesn't know what hard work is away from school, and if we don't show them hard work, how then will they learn? Example, if we pay someone to cut the grass or trim the bushes, so that we don't have to do it, or we don't plant gardens anymore due to too much work, or we'd rather go through a car wash rather than getting out a bucket and the garden hose and washing the car ourselves. How then can you blame your kid for not wanting to put forth the effort themselves? 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One day my wife sent me to the grocery store for bread and milk. After getting what I needed, I started towards the checkout line and was going to use the 10 items or less aisle, since I had three items. Well needless to say, there were two people in front of me first. One with 12 items, the other with 14. These were grown adults and new that they shouldn't have been in this aisle, but they were both in a hurry and wanted to get out of there. The cashier was young but experienced, and clearly told the first customer that she has too many items for being in this aisle. There were a couple of choice words said by the customer, but needless to say the customer was checked out and sent through. The second customer who over heard the scolding, started putting items on the floor or in the candy bin displays, because she didn't want scolded and was afraid the cashier would make her jump to another line. The customer was too lazy to walk the items back to be replaced on the shelves, so time constraint that she couldn't wait a few minutes to be in the correct aisle, and too bullheaded to care about the restrictions. Eventually I got through the line and made my way out to the truck. While walking through the parking lot, I over heard both of these same customers telling each other how wrong they thought the cashier was by trying to enforce the rule. Also while walking to the truck, I notice two individual cars pull into handicap spaces. One clearly marked with handicapped tags, the other wasn't. I sat in my truck just waiting and watching for the individuals to get out. The one without the handicapped tag walked towards the store with a bad limp, while the owner of the handicapped vehicle almost ran. I couldn't help but wonder, did the guy who was limping apply for handicap tags, and got refused or rejected due to so many people taking advantage of the system? Did the guy who ran maybe have a handicap at one time but decided he wasn't giving the tags back due to the convenience of how close he can park to everything? Then I spied a pregnant lady who looked like she was about 10 seconds from delivery. I watched as she was heading to the store, and believe me, she looked like she was hurting. Where was she parked? Right next to me, about 25 spaces from the store. I thought, why wouldn't her husband have gone to the store for her? Is he one of the types that thinks grocery shopping is women's work? Or, maybe she is a single Mom, and has another child depending on her for food, so if she doesn't do it, no one will. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In today's world, It seems that most people only think about themselves, and think that everybody owes them. They need to have the best that money can buy, and won't settle for anything less. Whether they can afford it or not, they will put themselves in dept just to have the convenience on making life fuller and easier. Don't get me wrong, I like convenience too, but I'm not willing to let it change my life, or make me into something I wasn't brought up to be. I still make a pot of coffee everything morning before going to work, I still use a key to unlock and turn on my truck, I still pay my bills with hand written paper checks, I grow my own vegetables, cut my own grass, wash my truck and car by hand, and work from sun up to sun down as much as I can. I hardly ever watch television, and the only time I'm on the computer is at work and in the evenings from time to time to check in with you guys. I work hard for everything I own, and I'm not afraid to sweat! I make all of my kids work or give a helping hand when needed, and they are only allowed to play video games for two hours over the weekends. I believe in the morals and efforts of our forefathers, and would like to think that there are still a few good men out there that will join with me in trying to get this nation back on it's feet again. Together we can make a difference, but we need to get off of our butts in order to get it done!

GTtalk will leave this thread open as long as it does not turn into a flame war about the Political views of our members.

• Bolens 1000, nra1ifer, Gtractor and 15 others have said thanks

#2 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,625 Thanks
  • 2,577 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 01:52 PM

Well Said. At the risk of not wanting this to get to political, I will only say hard work builds a non entitlement society.    JM2CW.                           Roger.

• KennyP, johndeereelfman, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#3 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 02:33 PM

Cudo's this has actually brought a tear to my eye.  My daughter will be 9 this year and my biggest fear for her is that she grows up lazy and entitled, I have worked my entire life for what I have and so will she, no one gets free ride around me, you earn your place in the world it is not given.

Well said

Edited by petrj6, May 18, 2014 - 02:33 PM.

• MH81, hamman, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,521 Thanks
  • 2,829 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 02:50 PM

We're now seeing a third generation of people that wake up in the morning expecting & not giving anything. I could add a lot but even though I don't agree with much of our government but wholesome living starts at home. It has snowballed in the past years like a disease of human parasites. We don't have many homes these days filled with a family that care. My twenty year old son our youngest just came back from his third missions trip, this time from Nicaragua. His heart bleeds for these people that have a heart of love & to give but have nothing of their own. I'm not saying you have to go out of the country but it seems like America has gotten so spoiled to the point where it's hard to help someone who actually needs it. My wife & I are part of several ministries in our home church, one where we feed the homeless. I can't believe the people that come to get fed because it's free not really needing it. Just a quick example before go on a rant here. I previous had a discussion about cups of coffee bought instead of making it  at home.I drink about one & a half pots of coffee a day..Folgers 100% Columbian. It costs me about .03 cents a cup, less than $200. a year. This lady spends over $1300. a year buying her coffee at the ....bucks.  :(

• hamman, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 1 other said thanks

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 03:23 PM

People are mostly lazy.  While at Kroger yesterday, Teresa wanted to get a couple things, and I (being lazy at the moment) stayed in the Jeep.  Directly across from me, 2 ladies, in their late 30's I'd say, in separate cars were too lazy to return the carts to the cart keeper corral.  One lady was parked in just the 2nd slot from the corral!!  It would have been about 5' further to take it to the corral, but being she was putting the groceries in on the passenger side door, I suppose it was too far fort her o go, so she put it in front of her car, where several carts were already taking up a parking space.  Then the other lady was about 20' from the corral, but put her cart in the same pile of carts the other lady put them in.  In the time it took her to get the cart to not want to roll off, she could have taken it to the corral.  Both ladies were pretty overweight, but not enough to make it difficult at all to place the carts where they should have. I suspect, giving them a few years, they will become quite large.  Yes, lots of people are lazy.   :(

• nra1ifer, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 5 others have said thanks

#6 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,066 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 04:10 PM

I think we are all guilty of not appreciating the things we have and the opportunities we have.
  • olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 2 others have said thanks

#7 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 04:13 PM

Good thoughts, Troy, and well thought through. 

Thanks for sharing!

Ben W.

• hamman and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 05:04 PM

I agree with you wholeheartedly, Troy!

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#9 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,805 Thanks
  • 2,216 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 05:15 PM

Funny, rite after I posted in this thread I went out and got my daughter. we have been out back and splitting wood since.  Just the other day we were at the soccer complex and Izabeelle went over to the two guys that take care of the fields (one of them has cerebral palsy) and out of the blue she thanked them and said they were doing a great job.

Keep up the faith guys, there are good people out there they are just few and far between.  :wave:

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#10 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,509 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 08:23 PM

A thought provoking subject. And not just about what the others are doing.  It really makes me think about what am I doing for the next generation. Am I fully teaching my son how to be fully responsible for himself, work with with his hands and enjoy life at the level his pay will accommodate. That there is nothing wrong with being thrifty and making do with what we have already.

• johndeereelfman, LilysDad, petrj6 and 1 other said thanks

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 08:36 PM

I try to teach my daughters how to feed themselves, where to find food if none is available, and how to care for themselves if something terrible were to happen. We call it Zombie Apocalypse training. Makes it kinda fun. And I sincerely hope they both graduate from college and get rewarding careers where they never use the skills I attempt to teach them. Sure, they should know the value of hard work and how to pinch a penny. I hope they never have to, it's my job to do without if necessary. Not theirs.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, johndeereelfman, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#12 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,559 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 08:50 PM

I think we are all guilty of not appreciating the things we have and the opportunities we have.

Yes, I have been guilty multiple times, and likely I'll lapse at times again.  I try not to, but sometimes it takes someone else's misfortune to snap us back into line.

• Texas Deere and Horse and johndeereelfman have said thanks

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,653 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 07:13 AM

Have you folks heard of the Heifer Project? It is a mission to other countries and also domestic. The mission gives farm animals to needy people. The idea is that they can harvest eggs, milk, wool, whatever to sell. The first baby from the animal must be given to another poor person; in that way they are paying it ahead.

This is very different than giving a hand out. I think the idea could make a big difference. Remember the CCC & WPA? Why can't we do that anymore?

• johndeereelfman and Sawdust have said thanks

#14 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 09:47 AM

Have you folks heard of the Heifer Project? It is a mission to other countries and also domestic. The mission gives farm animals to needy people. The idea is that they can harvest eggs, milk, wool, whatever to sell. The first baby from the animal must be given to another poor person; in that way they are paying it ahead.

This is very different than giving a hand out. I think the idea could make a big difference. Remember the CCC & WPA? Why can't we do that anymore?

I not only have heard about this, but have been giving towards Chickens for the past three years. The has become our families way, including the kids, to help the needy. We usually give towards this project every Christmas. This year we are planning on giving towards a goat or two. Very good organization. 

• LilysDad and Sawdust have said thanks

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,477 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 09:48 AM

I would have to agree on quite a few points.

Is it my fault that my kids do not do the work they need to be, yep. I buy them "conveniences" electronics, etc. My son will play his vidoe games or chill in his bedroom, but he does work. If it wasn't for him this year cutting our grass, not sure if I would ever get projects done. He will work when asked and he is cutting grass for several people, he wants stuff, he knows he has to work to get it.

our daugther is like my wife who in turn is like her mom, they sit and do not a lot at home. My wife works 9 hr a day, but it'a battle to get her to do housework or just anything around the house besides sitting. It's a struggle for me working 13-14 hrs a day and them not.

you hit a couple of my pet peeves, the handicapped parking is one. I see it all the time. I have an elderly mother who has a sticker, but she will park down the row so someone else who needs it more can use space. I see alot of people who have relative with a parking tag, but they are the driver and when they have tag, they take advantage of spot when the handicapped person is not in the car...100% wrong.

The other is the grocery thing, my wife will do it sometimes and I will blow up...not taking time or walking back to put something back, just lay it down.....GGGRRRRR  I asked one cashier at Walmart about the cart full of meat between a coupel registers, she told me once a customer pulls form the shelf and decide they do not want at register, the store can not put back on the shelf. this was a cart half full of meat, probably a couple $100 worth...going to trash!

We live in such a wasteful lazy society that feels so entitled to be catered too, it has gotten so sad.

Not to get into a reilgious discussion, but my neighbor just retired as a pastor and his son is a new pastor. I won't say the group he bleongs to, but it is a well known Protestant religion. He told his dad that at the international conventions, they have to wait for the Third world reprensentatives to leave before they can make any "liberal" decisions. All these many years, we sent Christian missionaries into the 3rd world countries to "save" them, now it appears they will be the ones to come back to America to "save" it from it's self destructive ways.

• johndeereelfman and TomLGT195 have said thanks