Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 02:02 PM

It Finally Happened, Rear End Went Out.

Alan, I was worried there for a minute. When I first read the title I figured you'd be in the hospital for a while.

Turns out it was a good thing we repaired that old rear end.

Someone oughtta show this to the Dr's in Texas. Brian would of been up and at 'em a lot faster if they would of swapped his out and repaired it while he ran on a spare.

:loosing_it:  :thank_you:

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#32 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 02:03 PM

"let's hear it for quality control". How many decades did it last before cracking??

You're right of course... My complaint is that the weld was bad from the factory and no one ever taxed it to the point that it showed.
I suppose if they had, the unit would be brake rotors now instead of in my garage.
Those 20 horses were used for mowing and snowblowing and not much for pushing or pulling.
Kinda Shows the intermediate step between the bullet proof stuff from the 70's and the drop the quality for quantity mentality of later decades.
  • olcowhand and wvbuzzmaster have said thanks

#33 JBRamsey OFFLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 973 Thanks
  • 587 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 07:17 PM

MH81. I wasn't givig you a hard time, just poking at you a little. You're exactly right about the throwaway world we live in. I pull stuff out of the metal dumpster at work on a regular basis that is good stuff. My best find was a set of steel lawn furniture that needed a few cans of Krylon. I have a perfectly good weedeater because the neighbor couldn't get it to start one day. He bought a new one and give the old one to me. A new primer bulb later and I was in business.
  • MH81 said thank you

#34 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 08:16 PM

MH81. I wasn't givig you a hard time, just poking at you a little. You're exactly right about the throwaway world we live in. I pull stuff out of the metal dumpster at work on a regular basis that is good stuff. My best find was a set of steel lawn furniture that needed a few cans of Krylon. I have a perfectly good weedeater because the neighbor couldn't get it to start one day. He bought a new one and give the old one to me. A new primer bulb later and I was in business.

Oh, I knew you werent giving me a hard time, just explaining my statement

Yep, have a chainsaw because of a starter cup and a less than informed consumer with disposable income. :thumbs:

#35 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 08:44 PM

You're right of course... My complaint is that the weld was bad from the factory and no one ever taxed it to the point that it showed.
I suppose if they had, the unit would be brake rotors now instead of in my garage.
Those 20 horses were used for mowing and snowblowing and not much for pushing or pulling.
Kinda Shows the intermediate step between the bullet proof stuff from the 70's and the drop the quality for quantity mentality of later decades.

Disagree whole heartily! Spent 1000's of hours hood down behind the dark glass watching the bright light. If your referencing (all I can see to your point) the original weld with the crack thru it, that looks to me like a SOLID wire fed (mig weld) it didn't split like that at its inception, sure looks to me like years of torque caused metal fatigue.The fact the the weld split and did not break where the two pieces were joined tells me the penetration of the weld was fine. Perhaps a bad run of wire in the welders machine, shielding gas issues, hard to say , but IMO that was a good clean factory weld. Design issue or again maybe, bad consumable, don't take this wrong but if that weld broke, I have concerns for yours.

#36 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 09:05 PM

Disagree whole heartily! Spent 1000's of hours hood down behind the dark glass watching the bright light. If your referencing (all I can see to your point) the original weld with the crack thru it, that looks to me like a SOLID wire fed (mig weld) it didn't split like that at its inception, sure looks to me like years of torque caused metal fatigue.The fact the the weld split and did not break where the two pieces were joined tells me the penetration of the weld was fine. Perhaps a bad run of wire in the welders machine, shielding gas issues, hard to say , but IMO that was a good clean factory weld. Design issue or again maybe, bad consumable, don't take this wrong but if that weld broke, I have concerns for yours.

I wish the amount of slag and impurities that were trapped in and under had showed up in the picture better. it would explain my statement so much better than I can with words.

As for your concern, I am a rank amature when it comes to welding, so suspicion of mine is perfectly warranted, :D

You should've seen me cussin out a piece of casing I was trying to weld "Legs" on to today.

#37 WrenchinOnIt OFFLINE  

WrenchinOnIt
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8592
  • 2,515 Thanks
  • 732 posts

Posted June 14, 2015 - 09:17 PM

I wish the amount of slag and impurities that were trapped in and under had showed up in the picture better. it would explain my statement so much better than I can with words.
As for your concern, I am a rank amature when it comes to welding, so suspicion of mine is perfectly warranted, :D
You should've seen me cussin out a piece of casing I was trying to weld "Legs" on to today.

Okay if you discovered porosity in the innerds of the weld, then poor metal prep or shielding gas issues probably to blame. As clean and uniform as it appears in the one pic it almost looks like a machine (robotic submerged arc weld) usually a poor weld will push the impurities and the 'uglies' to the surface it's hard to see it in the pic. Good luck and good work on what had to of become a vexing repair