5 replies to this topic

#1 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 09:09 PM

Today was a good day....

Since we have had a ton of rain and I'm unable to get in the garden I decided it was time to start working on the David Bradley....

I got it partially stripped down and spent the morning with a flap disc, wire wheel, sandpaper and mineral spirits. 

After getting her ready for paint, (it wasn't a total tear down since I'm simply making her look a little better while she's working), I then gave her a good coat of primer and then a few hours later put on the first topcoat. 

I'm hoping that within the next few days to a week, I'll have it ready to re-assemble and get some pics uploaded. 

It's not going to be a show job and I still have all of the implements to do but from what I've seen so far I think it is really going to turn out looking good. 

I'm using IH Case Red and Rustoleum Fern Green, (thanks for the tip VSTROM), for the colors. 

I still have a little bit of welding to do, (putting a cable end on the Tecumseh throttle), and have to route the throttle cable through the handlebar and figure out how to hook it all up. Other than that it's another coat or two of paint and then I can get it put back together. 

I'm excited about the DB again. It's been a long few weeks without doing anything to it!

• MH81, Alc and tinbender7 have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 28,003 Thanks
  • 28,948 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 10:52 PM

Man, no pics. :(
Just kidding, glad it's coming along and looking forward to seeing the results.
  • Likesspace said thank you

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,570 Thanks
  • 2,852 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 11:20 PM

Sounds like its going to be nice. I've seen those colors & they look good together. Looking :)

#4 VSTROM803 OFFLINE  

VSTROM803
  • Member No: 10269
  • 369 Thanks
  • 338 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 03:42 AM

Glad to hear that you are progressing. Things seem to work better when they are clean and painted. That is why I painted mine too. I wanted them to look a little better while getting the job done. These little tractors have been around 50-60 years. I'm sure after cleaning and painting they can out last us.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,653 Thanks
  • 6,743 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 05:09 AM

Happy to hear your enjoying the DB  I enjoy using mine . I do have one that I would like to restored like the way  your doing someday

#6 Likesspace OFFLINE  

Likesspace
  • Member No: 54810
  • 190 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 06:41 PM

Happy to hear your enjoying the DB  I enjoy using mine . I do have one that I would like to restored like the way  your doing someday

You know, Alc....I was honestly amazed at how quick it was to do.

Like I said I didn't completely disassemble the tractor so that saved a lot of time and effort. I did however sand down everything that I could easily get to  and all in all I'm happy with it. It doesn't look new but it does look good.

Today I got the second coat of paint on everything and did the work I needed to do on the motor. 

Tomorrow evening I plan on starting to put it all back together, put on the handlebar grips, and re-mount the wheels.

Then on Tuesday evening I'll hopefully get the motor mounted, run the throttle cable through the handlebars and try to figure out how to make the throttle linkage work.

After that all I'll have to do is put the letters on the hood and get it mounted. Then I can start working on the various implements one by one. 

Not counting the time I'll spend on putting the vinyl letters on the hood I probably won't have over 20 hours total in the refresh. In my opinion that's not bad considering how much better it's going to look. 

Once finished, (hopefully Wednesday, Thursday or Friday of this week), I'll get some pics up.