• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 07:14 PM

I'm a bit late getting it tilled and it actually didn't get tilled last fall so it was pretty nasty. I had grass clumps growing  here and there so I hauled them out before I started. I got the Troy Bilt Jr out of the shed and got it going without too much grief. What a nice tiller for a small garden like I have.  I've only had this tiller for a couple of years after finding it for 40$ at a yard sale without an air cleaner. I spent about $100 on it and got it working pretty well. It had been sitting for 15 yrs and had low hours. It still has some paint on the tines now. 

I tilled it twice, once shallow and then deep in the opposite direction. Added some Peat moss to try to help with moisture retention, lime and 5 or six bags the compost and manure. Tilled that in and it's looking pretty good. It's supposed to rain for a few days which should help dissolve the lime and soak that peat moss. Another quick till after that and planting will begin. It seems late to a lot of folks but we have still been getting frost almost every night. 

• daytime dave, Alc, Texas Deere and Horse and 8 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 07:29 PM

Glad you could finally get out there, Brian. Guess I'll have to take pics of our garden so you can drool on the keyboard!

• daytime dave, JDBrian and tinbender7 have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 07:34 PM

I find we usually have a warm fall here and harvesting in September isn't an issue for a lot of crops. I'm looking forward to when I retire and will have more time to maintain the gardens. I'm toying with the idea of clearing some space to make another one but it's expensive to turn woodland into a garden. Where I grew up it was farm land and fertile soil. Here the soil is gravel and rocks. I guess when I retire we could always move back to the valley to a property with more open space.

• daytime dave and tinbender7 have said thanks

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 07:52 PM

We broke into virgin soil this year! Already ate a bunch of radishes! Got lots of things going. Should have turnips ready before long!

• daytime dave and tinbender7 have said thanks

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Good to hear you're finally getting in there, Brian. The wife and I planted the rest of the garden today with the exception of the peppers and tomatoes. They go in tomorrow. It's milk jug city out there right now.

#6 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 17, 2014 - 10:04 PM

Glad to hear you finally getting some garden time 

Brian.

Good luck.

#7 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 10:09 PM

Good Deal JD., Glad to hear you got it worked up and ready to plant. Post some pictures when you can.

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 10:11 PM

Good to hear the garden is going in.  Mine will have to go in soon too.

#9 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 11:15 PM

Better late than never.

We are still having frost here, no garden yet either :wallbanging:

#10 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 05:24 AM

Glad to hear you got some gardening time in . Maybe you might want to try a small raised bed that you could cover with plastic to get a little earlier start . Or a framed cover using the garden area you have now .  I use both but not as well  as I could if I had more  time to spend ,like you maybe when I retire   

#11 JDBrian ONLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 06:05 AM

Glad to hear you got some gardening time in . Maybe you might want to try a small raised bed that you could cover with plastic to get a little earlier start . Or a framed cover using the garden area you have now .  I use both but not as well  as I could if I had more  time to spend ,like you maybe when I retire   

That's a good idea Al.  I plan on making some cold frames against the south side of the house. There is a local garden enthusiast/writer who has published a book where she shows how you can grow some things all winter in this climate. Since she is a 10 minute drive from me I know I should be able to do it here as well. As always it's hard to find the time to do this stuff with everything else. 

• Alc said thank you

#12 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 18, 2014 - 08:40 PM

Brian...congrats on getting to the garden . Bet it feels great to start working the soil again. Hope you get some nice rain and then get to planting this week.
  • Gabriel said thank you