#1 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,912 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 07:34 PM

I HAVE A TECUMSEH ENGINE THATS SMOKING I SUSPECT THE VALVE GUIDES ARE WORN IT IS FROM A 1961 WHEELHORSE ENGINE MODEL H50D 2113 WHAT CAN BE DONE WITH IT THANKS HANKG

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,810 Thanks
  • 2,223 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 07:59 PM

I would take it apart and look before you assume what is wrong, it may need rings or the vale seats re ground.  I have re-built a few old briggs engines and have never had to do anything to the valve guide's

• HANKG said thank you

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 08:19 PM

If it is smoking, verify first that the valves are worn.  Check the other things first, as in rings, valve seats (as has been suggested), breathers, and the carburetor and ignition system.  Make sure you are running the right oil level and the right viscosity. 

If your valve guides are worn, to fix them you pull the engine down and ream the guides out for 1/32 more clearance for oversize valves.

The oversize valves run $45 for the intake side and $33 for the exhaust side.  . 

Ben W.

• boyscout862, HANKG and propane1 have said thanks

#4 jaysgt18 OFFLINE  

jaysgt18
  • Member No: 59024
  • 5 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 24, 2014 - 09:18 AM

The easiest way I found to check valve guides is to pull the valve out about an inch and wiggle. Excesive movement means the guides/ valve is worn and needs replaced. Hope this info helps. Good luck!