Time to vote for Tractor of the Month!
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Gt17 Moves Very Slow In Forward Need Hlp Plz !

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 79gt17 OFFLINE  

79gt17
  • Member No: 57368
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 12:44 PM

Ariens project 2.jpg

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 3,067 Thanks
  • 2,376 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 02:01 PM

Welcome to the site.
Thanks for the pic but guys here will need some more info to help diagnose.
ie: what year if known, what have you done/ tried so far? Tom

Edited by TomLGT195, May 16, 2014 - 02:02 PM.

• 79gt17 said thank you

#3 79gt17 OFFLINE  

79gt17
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 03:20 PM

]Thanks for having me !!! ok  here we go .... not sure of year I find no mfg tag any where I look ...  has a  79 Kohler Series I k17 motor runs nice no smoke !!!  as far as my prob ...  slow forward movement and good reverse movement  sketchy neutral ... I've come to the conclusion that the main tranny control arm under seat has been broken before and wielded ...  (pic A) , I tried to adjust the small ez adjust linkage arm ... (pic B) under floor inspection plate and by adjusting it , it moved the tranny arm back giving me way better forward speed but  no neutral little or no reverse , haven't tried to adjust the the 2 nuts on the big linkage arm that the smaller arm is tied to ....  (pic C) ...  thanks !!

Pic A.jpg

Pic B.jpg

Pic C.jpg

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#4 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 12,634 Thanks
  • 9,346 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 05:53 PM

Sounds like you don't have full range of movement. Adjust one way, lose reverse, adjust the opposite and you lose forward. I would remove the upper linkage and see what the full range of motion is. Then re-hook the linkage and see where the issue is. Is it possible the break/weld was done in a manner that shortened that arm? (first pic)

• TomLGT195 and 79gt17 have said thanks

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,594 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 07:47 PM

Welcome to GTTalk. Check our manuals section for information on that tractor. I'm pretty sure there is a manual for those Ariens GTs. It may describe the procedure for adjusting neutral etc. Sometimes the linkages get worn or sticky and cause problems like you describe. 

• 79gt17 said thank you

#6 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6172
  • 4,339 Thanks
  • 4,506 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 08:45 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!

What you are describing sounds almost like what I ran into with my older S-16. On mine it was in the cam area which I don't think you have. Try to find neutral and find a way to mark and hold that on the hydro control arm and then adjust the linkage to bring the speed selector back to neutral.

In the first picture, about center at the bottom is the release for towing. One thing to check would be to make sure that both valves are up the whole way. It looks like the one is a bit wet like it might have been a slow leak. This also could cause erratic control of speed.

Edited by shorty, May 16, 2014 - 09:08 PM.

• 79gt17 said thank you

#7 79gt17 OFFLINE  

79gt17
  • 2 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 09:29 PM

Thanks all who commented !!! what I found so far is its out of adjustment  getting closer but not perfect yet  !!! .... ohh mowed 3 strips today with it b4 it sheered a pin , because front of the deck fell outta the hanger .... back at it in the morn !!! ty all again !!! still not bad  for $200.00 I see a lot of potential here !!!!

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, May 17, 2014 - 10:33 PM.