2 replies to this topic

#1 cmn135 ONLINE  

cmn135
  • Member No: 56682
  • 34 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 10:15 AM

Hi guys,

Quick question on the mower deck. This is my first case mower deck. I've worked on decks before but nothing this old. I've attached a video below of the spindle function. I can turn it fairly easily by hand but there's definitely some resistance. Is this about where it should be at or should it move more freely?

There are no grease fittings so I'm not sure of a way to maintain this. Do you just replace the bearings when it slows up like this?

https://www.youtube....h?v=19q35OMQwhE

I can't get this to embed to save my life...

Edited by cmn135, May 16, 2014 - 10:35 AM.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#2 marlboro180 OFFLINE  

marlboro180
  • Member No: 10710
  • 634 Thanks
  • 954 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 06:55 AM

Chris- What does the bottom of the deck look like? Is is full of crud like the top ?

Are the steel cups on the underside of the deck ( under each spindle ) all rusty and flakey?   If so, this could be where the noise is coming from. 

I'd take the belt off and check each spindle individually to see where things are at, where the resistance is coming from, and see who the noisemaker is.

You are correct, if the bearings are gone they are readily replaced.

#3 cmn135 ONLINE  

cmn135
  • Member No: 56682
  • 34 Thanks
  • 54 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 05:56 PM

Thanks. I did a good clean up and it spins a little better. I'll eventually replace the bearings but it should be ok for the time being. Thanks again.

The new issue is it won't stay in gear with the mowing deck on. I have to hold the stick at speed if i let go it goes back to neutral. I believe from other threads I've read I may need to adjust the ez clutch. I may try that next.
  • marlboro180 said thank you