#1 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,731 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 10:13 PM

I'm still slowly working on my HT23, I just realized today (maybe I should of checked sooner) that there is no compression, I'm guessing the valves are stuck???

I bought this garden tractor from a friend and it had been siting for several years. Although he said the engine ran great when it was parked, the engine was covered so I'm guessing it isn't stuck very bad.

I'm not really looking into a complete rebuild and I don't have the equipment to grind the valves and ect.

If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it.

Thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 11:10 PM

Take the lifter covers off and spray very generously with PB Blaster or whatever you use. Pull the spark plugs and spray generously in the cylinder. I then roll the engine over by hand and see which valves are stuck, most likely it's the exhaust valves. I use a thin slotted screw driver between the lifter and valve to see if I can get it to open any, if so usually it will move back and forth after that. Keep working them by hand until they move freely. Good Luck !!

• Alc and BTS have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 06:27 AM

I would do a decarbon with Seafoam after you get the valves loosened up. I had this happen in a  MF 8 (HM80 tec. ). I simply sprayed penetrating oil into the cylinder and let it sit then turned it over. It did the trick. It had been sitting for 5 years. 

• Texas Deere and Horse and BTS have said thanks

#4 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,731 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 05:23 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try

#5 BTS OFFLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • 2,737 Thanks
  • 1,731 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 07:09 AM

I filled the cylinders full of liquid wrench two days ago, rolled the engine over by hand and didn't have any compression at all. I let it sit and then I refilled the cylinders again with liquid wrench and then rolled it over again by hand and what would you know it now has compression!!!!!

I stuck a battery on it and the compression seems to be really good.

Now I just need to finish rebuilding the carb, put in new plugs and points in it. Then try to start it!

Cant wait,

Thanks again for the help :worshippy1: :thumbs:

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#6 nglauer OFFLINE  

nglauer
  • Member No: 46660
  • 390 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 06:11 PM

The valves on my HT23 were sticking. They had some major carbon build up on them - but they cleaned up nicely. I soaked everything and used plenty of seafoam and various other stuff to get the hard carbon cleared off the valves etc.