#1 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 09:21 PM

Last weekend Caleb (jdelfjunior), Craig (ckjakline) and I were talking about the days when Craig and I were young, and all the things we did as kids, that kids today just can't get away with. Caleb (my son) was thrilled to hear about all the things, and wishes he could have had done them too. Some things we did, weren't too bad, but others were just down right terrible. Some of the things that were mentioned were:

-Racing the local cop through town, and finally getting stopped on the opposite side of town. No arrest or fine. Was just told to go straight home and let my Dad know what I did wrong.

-Toilet papering peoples houses and trees. We wouldn't do a job until we had at least 300 rolls of toilet paper saved up. The local fast shop stores and grocery stores used to hate us when ever we stopped in.

-Shrink wrapping a fellow classmates car to a light pole in the High School parking lot right before the first bell rang. I believe we used 7 rolls of shrink wrap. The only thing the classmate had to cut the car loose was his car key.

-Wrapping up dog poop in newspaper, lighting it on fire, setting it on someones porch, ringing the door bell, then running to hide in the closest bushes. 

-Filling up a pickup truck bed with those big green gourds that you find along the roadside, then throwing then at road signs and mailboxes while driving down the road late at night.

-Using our buddies 4x4 pickup to pull farm equipment out of a farmers field, and moving it a couple of miles down the road into another farmers field.

-You know those different colored "gazing balls" that some people have in their front yards mounted on top of bird bath stands? We used to keep a log of addresses and what color ball they had, then replace it with a different colored ball just about every four nights. Eventually they got their original ball color back.

-We used a spot light, like used for spotting deer at night, and would go from one end of town to the other, putting out the street lights. When they would all come back on, we'd go through town again until they were all out again.

-Racing cars on back roads. Need I say more?

-Look for fields full of cows, mostly at night, drive by with my automatic transmission car, shift it in low, shut off the ignition, let the car coast in front of the cows, then start the car. The combustion that built up made a very load bang, and usually sent the cows running. This lasted until the valves came up through the hood of the car one night. 

-Cow tipping/Cow riding. Again, need I say more?

-Stringing individual corn kernals, spaced 12" apart with small knots, onto fishing line, then throwing the whole thing into the duck pen of my great uncles farm. I don't remember a thing after that that day, other than my butt meeting the rusted flat shovel!

-Shooting the glass out of electrical meters with the pellet gun.

-Ringing door bells and running.

-Throwing 16 penny nails into the air conditioning fan while school was in process. Make quite the interesting rattle throughout the duct work.

-Removing the mouth piece from the classroom-to-office communication phones.

-Hanging our underwear from the school and area park flagpoles. 

-Streaking. No more details on that!

We all had fun back then, and in most cases, it wasn't destructive or hurting anybody. Now days, there is no way that kids could even think about doing any of these things.

So what did you do as a kid? Any good stories? Post away and let's hear them. Oh, I guess I should post the following, just in case there are any wheels out there turning:

Kids: DO NOT TRY ANY OF THESE STATEMENTS AT HOME, SCHOOL, WORK, OR ANYWHERE!!!! IT JUST NOT WORTH THE CONSEQUENCES!!!! TIMES HAVE CHANGED, AND ARE NOT LIKE THEY USED TO BE.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, IamSherwood and 9 others have said thanks

#2 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 09:26 PM

We helped old ladies across the street and went to church on Sunday
  • tractorgarden, johndeereelfman, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#3 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 10:43 PM

Corning cars, houses, etc. once took the bubble gum machine off the top off a PSP interceptor car.
that was cob and all. Shelled field corn was the norm. Had a manakin with a sheet over it zip lined
from one bank across hi-way to other bank.....yeah not good. I better stop.
  • johndeereelfman, pharmer and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,538 Thanks
  • 3,924 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 04:48 AM

Looking back through old memories can be quite humorous. It seems that when all the friends from the teen years get together, that is what we talk about.

• tractorgarden, johndeereelfman and pharmer have said thanks

#5 DennyIN OFFLINE  

DennyIN
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 52096
  • 290 Thanks
  • 182 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 05:48 AM

At night, we would tie a string across the road just past the last street light going out of town. When the headlights hit it, it looked like a wire and they would lock up the brakes trying to stop. Usually they would get out, cuss, tear the sting down and drive off. Nobody ever thought to take the sting with them, so we just put it back up and did it again.

At night we would pick up hedge apples and ride around the county throwing them at signs and mailboxes as we drove past.

Caught a possum one Saturday night and put it in a mailbox so the Sunday paper carrier would get a surprise when they opened the mailbox door the next morning.

At night 4 or 5 of us would line up for 1/4 mile in a standing corn field and throw shelled corn at passing cars. Some would stop and cuss but they couldn't find us. We would laugh out loud from the field. Sure wouldn't try doing that today.

At night, we hung a dummy in the center of a covered bridge. We didn't know someone saw us pull in the bridge and put the lights out. The sheriff and a deputy boxed us in and they made us take it down.

Open up the headers and light it up late at night to wake up the neighborhood.         

• tractorgarden, johndeereelfman, pharmer and 1 other said thanks

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,449 Thanks
  • 6,616 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 05:48 AM

Reminded me of when I was in 7th grade , we lived in a small city ( Easton Pa)  and I had a mini bike , I would push it through town to a park at the edge of town and ride it all day ,   I bet you would  just get it started before being hauled away now  lol

#7 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 06:46 AM

Oh yeah....possum stompin...... and my favorite chasing porcupines hitting them with your ball cap...
then going in to the pizza joint like that. Sleeping out..raiding gardens. Rolled some front loader
tires down a big hill...(they had to be at least 988 cat size)
  • johndeereelfman and pharmer have said thanks

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 07:00 AM

There are lots I won't fess up to in front of the kids...And im not sure when the statute of limitations will run out on some... besides, the bad ones are for me and God to sort out later :bigrofl:
One I will tell, there was a one lane bridge thru a local boro that was a favorite of the inebriated trying to get home via back roads. My buddy acquired a stack of orange cones and we came up with the plan to put one in the middle of the bridge at 2:30 AM and watch.

Only one or two got run over. Usually, some guy with a snoot full would lumber out of the car, walk around it for a while, move it to the side of the road and drive on... Often they would get out and put the cone back.

#9 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 08:25 PM

We helped old ladies across the street and went to church on Sunday

I used that line when I was trying to catch my wife :bigrofl:

When the group gets together we have often wondered how we lived thru those years...

This is well past limits and nobody ever got hurt, except my backside from dads belt, so I'll share it. In NE Ohio there is a small town called Fairport Harber. One road in that splits into a wye and the town is between the legs of the wye. Well with just one police car in town it was great fun to sneak in quiet like and then drop the plugs on the exhaust and light'em up in front of the station. Ya give him time to get in the car and then head out of town. A mile up the wye the powers that be had put in this great new "super highway" called Rt 2. up the ramp and you were gone. You could look down at the cruiser lights bouncing over the railroad tracks and laugh all the way to Mentor. Well we didn't know that the regular guy had an appendix operation the last time I was involved and the Chief from Mentor on the Lake was filling in that weekend. I got home around 2:00 a.m. and thought wow the lights are on in the kitchen, thats strange.

Well in the kitchen having a cup of coffee with my mom sits Chief Kogal. You know that deal about your whole life flashing in front of you.... Turns out Chief had gone to school with my mom and dad and he recognized my car. My dad was on nights so the real pain started a few hours later. Way too many people on the road to try anything this stupid nowadays, plus the law has way better equipment !

So as our good man has stated above:

Kids: DO NOT TRY ANY OF THESE STATEMENTS AT HOME, SCHOOL, WORK, OR ANYWHERE!!!! IT JUST NOT WORTH THE CONSEQUENCES!!!! TIMES HAVE CHANGED, AND ARE NOT LIKE THEY USED TO BE.

• johndeereelfman, pharmer and panzersarebest have said thanks

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,608 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 11:22 PM

Reading this thread, I keep hearing this in my head for some reason...

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpg

#11 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 06:01 AM

A few of the local hell raisers used to pull off some not so good tricks such as hiding out and watching someone go into an out house and then sneak up and tie a rope around the out house so the user could not get out.  Pick up the band teachers Volkswagon, carried it up the stairs in front of the gym and set it on the landing in front of the doors.  Pick up the rear of the same Volkswagon, put it on blocks then watch him come out, start it up and the back tires just spin when he tried to drive away.

• MH81, johndeereelfman and pharmer have said thanks

#12 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,133 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 06:34 AM

The mean streets of easton pa! Did you go through the circle alc?

#13 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,622 Thanks
  • 7,665 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 06:47 AM

This was all in the days before they knew what ADHD was.

• MH81, johndeereelfman and pharmer have said thanks

#14 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 07:04 AM

I helped re-locate a mailbox from a farm a few miles away to a golf course and plunked it right into a hole that wasn't being used at the moment . The golf course owner must have liked the idea . A mailbox is permanently planted nearby .

The hole wasn't intended to a posthole or be for sale at that time so the used post hole gag doesn't apply . Troy gets this post .
  • MH81, GTTinkerer and johndeereelfman have said thanks