#16 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8044
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 09:44 PM

I don't know how familiar you are with the Simplicity transmissions but don't try to force it into gear....they are not forgiving of rough shifting. Get everything loosened up one point at a time then adjust brakes, clutch and shuttle mechanism according to manual.
  • KennyP said thank you

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 07:38 AM

I don't know how familiar you are with the Simplicity transmissions but don't try to force it into gear....they are not forgiving of rough shifting. Get everything loosened up one point at a time then adjust brakes, clutch and shuttle mechanism according to manual.

I know nothing about this, thank you! I was kind of wondering if it was running if it would go into gear eaiser? I did jack up the rear and tried spinning the tires to get it to go into a gear. No luck. I try not to force something unless I know it's only rust causing the bind. I have the Shuttle lever moving some, but may have to take it apart to clean the pivot points of rust.

#18 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 10:02 AM

Oh I thought you had it running. It should not be hard to get into gear just sitting though you might have to rock together gears to line up. You may already have an issue if previous owner tried running it with the shuttle not functioning properly and forced it into gear. Does the tractor roll in neutral?
  • KennyP said thank you

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted May 17, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Phil, is the Allis 716 6-speed the same basic running gear?    If so, then Kenny, I may have parts if you need them.  This deck is shot though.

DSC00141.JPG DSC00142.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#20 skunkhome OFFLINE  

skunkhome

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 322 Thanks
  • 455 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 10:14 PM

Well the Six speed is a three speed plus geared reverse while the shuttle is a four speed with planetary reverser. I feel certain if the shuttle is shot he could use the transaxle from your 716.

Edited by skunkhome, May 19, 2014 - 10:16 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 04:56 AM

Oh I thought you had it running. It should not be hard to get into gear just sitting though you might have to rock together gears to line up. You may already have an issue if previous owner tried running it with the shuttle not functioning properly and forced it into gear. Does the tractor roll in neutral?

It rolls very easy! I haven't gotten to do much more with it as yet. Work has gotten in the way.

Daniel, I'll keep that in mind. I hope to get it running this weekend. We'll see what happens then!

#22 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 06:20 PM

Today, I pulled the engine so we could get the Pecan shells out of the flywheel shroud. Aaron wanted to power wash everything so I got the tins off and got it all ready. Kenny's Towing Service (boom pole) took the tractor down for a bath. Then the fork lift  came into play to get the engine down there. I want to open the carb and see what it looks like inside. Fuel tank needs a good cleaning also. I bet the fuel pump is toast too!

Image007.jpg     Image008.jpg

Image009.jpg

#23 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted May 22, 2014 - 08:47 PM

Nice find.  Can't wait to see it finished.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 04:59 AM

Nice find.  Can't wait to see it finished.

Lots of issues to work through. The Shuttle linkage is nearly frozen with rust. Hope to get the engine running soon. This thing has had a rough life then left in the elements for a number of years.

#25 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 05:53 AM

This thing has had a rough life then left in the elements for a number of years.

That's pretty evident from the pictures but, given all that, the sheet metal looks pretty good.  Get the engine running and the tranny working right and you have the hardest part done.  I hope it goes easier than you ever expected.  I'm sure it will look great when it's done.

#26 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 06:00 AM

He plans to paint and get new decals once it's working good! The deck spindles are going to be the hardest part to get working again.

#27 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,275 Thanks
  • 1,770 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 09:38 AM

The deck spindles are going to be the hardest part to get working again.

I have a parts 300 series deck. I can check the spindles. PM me if interested.

• KennyP said thank you

#28 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 07:25 PM

We got the deck off this morning. Also got the deck belt off it. It was rusted to pullies. I haven't had time to see what the deck needs as yet, but I'll keep you in mind if we need parts!

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,526 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted May 23, 2014 - 08:22 PM

Remind me to NOT buy one of these!  Way to hard to work on this thing. NOTHING is simple to fix! I finally got the Shuttle lever out of it after heating it to find it has plastic bushings that were rusted to the shaft. STUPID! And where it is! Good lord what were these folks thinking! Had to pry the side cover out to get the nut off the Shuttle shaft as it was right up against the steering column. Can't get to anything as all the panels are pop riveted together. DUH! Dumb design as far as I am concerned!

#30 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 09:25 AM

Remind me to NOT buy one of these!  Way to hard to work on this thing. NOTHING is simple to fix! I finally got the Shuttle lever out of it after heating it to find it has plastic bushings that were rusted to the shaft. STUPID! And where it is! Good lord what were these folks thinking! Had to pry the side cover out to get the nut off the Shuttle shaft as it was right up against the steering column. Can't get to anything as all the panels are pop riveted together. DUH! Dumb design as far as I am concerned!

I feel your pain Kenny, I have two shuttles that I am trying to get going, they are a pain in the butt to say the least, not only that, those spindel bearings are high dollar new and I can't afford to replace them at the prices they want for the new ones :(

Edited by victor3ranger, May 24, 2014 - 09:26 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ac 416, allis 416s, allis chalmers 416 shuttle