tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 01:17 PM

Very nice property Todd, I would make sure you get a competent home inspector who knows his or her stuff to go over everything, electrical, plumbing, structure. I’m sure you know all that!!! But that would be your best investment. Also when you go to sell your current house it would advised to stage it first before anyone comes to view it. I just sold my place in the city and moved to the country and a little paint and remove any clutter goes a long way when showing. I had an appraiser, appraise my town house for $160,000.00 and the realtor thought the same. It sold within 24hr for $184,000.00 with multiple offers. I know you will make the right choice for your family, good luck and best wishes in you new home.

I have had a home inspection for all of my past home purchases. I am always disappointed at how little they find. The last home inspection my buddy (home improvement pro) and I found twice as much as the inspectors. The good thing was that they agreed with everything we found and put it on the list. I will hire one again, but only to have the faults written down by the cetified inspector, I won't count on them to find everything. I have actually looked at most the major stuff during the showing. The additions look great, the old farm house... not so much, but nothing that can't be fixed. My dad and I built his house from the ground up, we did not hire out for anything except the block work. So, I feel confident that the house is in good shape, but being built in 1920, I'm sure there will plenty to update and fix, especially hiden behind the walls.
Our current house has been completely remodeled during the last 4 years, so I am sure it will show well. Not much is for sale around me, so.... comps will be a problem.

#32 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 01:25 PM

Wish you well in what option you decide on

I think the decision has been made. We are moving forward, the question will be, how far do we get. I am really starting to get a vision of what the house could look like after I get my hands on it..... I like the possibilities. I can see myself stting on the back porch looking over the pond, listening the spring peepers, watching the sun set and having a cold one after days work on the property. Ahhhhh.....:orangecool:
Oh yea, and I have a really good reason to buy a bigger tractor. :dancingbanana:

#33 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 01:39 PM

I think the decision has been made. We are moving forward, the question will be, how far do we get. I am really starting to get a vision of what the house could look like after I get my hands on it..... I like the possibilities. I can see myself stting on the back porch looking over the pond, listening the spring peepers, watching the sun set and having a cold one after days work on the property. Ahhhhh.....:orangecool:
Oh yea, and I have a really good reason to buy a bigger tractor. :dancingbanana:

That sure sounds good to me :thumbs:

#34 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 03:19 PM

With home inspectors it's important to remember that they really really can't do anything invasive. They will miss anything in the walls etc.. They also tend to look at thing in a pass/fail kind of way, so something that is up to minimum code but not very good tends to pass. Up here pretty much anybody can do it too, so you never know if they actually know anything or not. I know I've caught several things they've missed at friend's houses over the years, some of them pretty major.

I like the sound of you moving forward on this property though. It sounds really nice, looks excellent in the pics, and anything that justifies a bigger tractor just has to be a good thing.