• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 06:49 PM

And BTW Todd.....beef cows don't bother me one bit! No hand to hand combat 2X a day with them!:D

#17 Meangreen OFFLINE  

Meangreen

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 31
  • 94 Thanks
  • 300 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 06:56 PM

For me the 28 acres would be the huge buying point. Can you buy 25 acres that attaches to your current property? 3300 sq feet is a lot of room for two people when kids move out. Maybe redo the bottom level and block off the upstairs on this house and save $ not heating and cooling it. You could build a bigger garage than the one in the picture on your current property but still only have 3 acres. My humble opinion.

#18 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 07:16 PM

For me the 28 acres would be the huge buying point. Can you buy 25 acres that attaches to your current property? 3300 sq feet is a lot of room for two people when kids move out. Maybe redo the bottom level and block off the upstairs on this house and save $ not heating and cooling it. You could build a bigger garage than the one in the picture on your current property but still only have 3 acres. My humble opinion.

Yes, the 28 acres is the biggest selling point, well... maybe the second biggest, the 30x40 shop is really nice.
Our current 3,300 sq ft house is a lot of room. To be honest, it's too much room, even with my daughter in the house. We hardly use about half the house... and just think, there is a 700 sq ft room above the garage that is not finished, just studs.
Actually, the first floor of the 1920s house is not too bad, the kitchen is a little dated but it's a good size. Most of the work would be upstairs, the bedrooms need help. The basement is a typical 1920's...watch your head. Although the addition on the right side of the house has a full basement under it with nice high ceilings, but you have to duck a bit to get to it from the old section in the middle.

Here is the kitchen, not near as nice as our recently remodeled kitchen, but not bad either.....

Posted Image

#19 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 07:21 PM

Oh my gosh Todd.....that "dated" kitchen makes mine look awful! I'd absolutely love to have a kitchen just like it! Really, I would! That would be a place to live out the rest of your lives at....and love it the whole time.

#20 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 07:24 PM

I generally tell people to stay put, but in this case I'd say you should go for it. My father waited until he retired to buy an acreage, and the renovations and getting the yard cleaned up were a lot tougher as a result, not to mention that the time he had left to enjoy it was limited.

For me the big attraction is the 28 acres. The shop is great. That driveway is fantastic, especially with the way the fence sets it off.

I don't know what your property market is like down there, but around here it's generally a lot easier to sell 1-5 acres than 28 acres right now. If you're in a similar situation there, you'll get a better price on the new property than your buyer will on yours.

#21 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 07:31 PM

I don't know what your property market is like down there, but around here it's generally a lot easier to sell 1-5 acres than 28 acres right now. If you're in a similar situation there, you'll get a better price on the new property than your buyer will on yours.

Boy, I hope that is the case

#22 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 07:40 PM

Oh my gosh Todd.....that "dated" kitchen makes mine look awful! I'd absolutely love to have a kitchen just like it! Really, I would! That would be a place to live out the rest of your lives at....and love it the whole time.

I knew that was going to happen. It's not that dated, but it's not granite and stainless either. I'm not saying I have to have granite and stainless, but it is what we have now. I know, I sound like a snob...

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 08:12 PM

I knew that was going to happen. It's not that dated, but it's not granite and stainless either. I'm not saying I have to have granite and stainless, but it is what we have now. I know, I sound like a snob...

I don't think you're a snob Todd...known you long enough to know better than that. BTW, if you do rip out that kitchen, I'll be up with truck & trailer to haul off the stuff for ya! LOL
I just can't see you passing up a place like that if all the pieces come together for you.

#24 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 10:48 PM

Yea, I am trying not to get too far ahead of myself. This is not a cheap property and we would need to sell our current house without too much of a loss from the purchase price 5 years ago. It's a dream, but you never know, maybe it will come true. If not, I still have a really nice house and property, that I have invested many hours in....
I am going to look at the property again tomorrow night. My daughter wasn't with us when I looked at it on Sunday.

#25 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 10:51 PM

BTW, if you do rip out that kitchen, I'll be up with truck & trailer to haul off the stuff for ya!

I would not rip the kitchen out, just replace the vinyl floor with wood or tile, pull off the wall paper, and a few other things.

#26 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 25, 2011 - 12:03 AM

Beautiful wood in that kitchen

#27 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 09:34 AM

Went to see the property again with my daughter. She loved it... go figure. After all, it's her horse.
We have the agent looking at our current house tomorrow to get a better idea of what exactly we can expect to get out of it. The agent will also advise the owner of the farm on whether to take a contingent offer, based on what we have to sell, and it's value. The agent did say the seller did not want to carry the property through another spring.... could be good news? Although, the seller did make a serious price drop about 4 months ago.

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 09:37 AM

I think all in your last post has to be good news for you, especially them not wanting to carry it till spring. BEST of fortune in selling your current home!

#29 awol OFFLINE  

awol

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 1576
  • 77 Thanks
  • 339 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 10:04 AM

Very nice property Todd, I would make sure you get a competent home inspector who knows his or her stuff to go over everything, electrical, plumbing, structure. I’m sure you know all that!!! But that would be your best investment. Also when you go to sell your current house it would advised to stage it first before anyone comes to view it. I just sold my place in the city and moved to the country and a little paint and remove any clutter goes a long way when showing. I had an appraiser, appraise my town house for $160,000.00 and the realtor thought the same. It sold within 24hr for $184,000.00 with multiple offers. I know you will make the right choice for your family, good luck and best wishes in you new home.

#30 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,669 Thanks
  • 17,197 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 01:09 PM

:ditto: the above replies