• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 1adamb OFFLINE  

1adamb

• Member No: 4424
  • 2 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 07:10 AM

After plowing snow this past winter, noticed the left side axle seal was leaking oil (as evidenced by the oil all over the garage floor), so I ordered the part on ebay and set out to taking things apart last night.

Pretty straight forward, remove wheel, remove wheel hub/brake disc assembly by removing the nut and washer and then found it was stuck on from 40 years of being together.  Hit it with some PB blaster and after letting it sit about 1/2 hour removed the whole thing with a gear puller. 

Removed the old oil seal by carefully drilling a hole in the metal then inserting a screw and pulling it out.  bolensseal.JPG bolensseal1.JPG seal3.JPG

• Bolens 1000 and blackjackjakexxix have said thanks

#2 1adamb OFFLINE  

1adamb

• 2 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 07:55 AM

weld.jpg Also when attached the snow plow I thought it mounted to the rear axle attachment points and when it didn't fit tried to massage it to fitting... well the cast iron mounting point took exception to that and broke off.  I set about to welding it back on, hate to weld cast iron but it appears to be half way strong, only time will tell.  I used a flux core arc welder (FCAW) ,mig welder that I have.  I have no professional schooling or anything, just learned as I go.  I did put a piece of metal across the top to help sure it up.  Welded everything in red, ground it down and was going to weld on external pieces of metal but I think it'll work as it.  Was going to complete the box across the top but again left it as is just to see if it'll work.

#3 1adamb OFFLINE  

1adamb

• 2 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 07:57 AM

Sorry for the blurry shot but the camera decided to focus whereever it wanted.  THe part in red is basically when the part cracked off.  I ground the edges down to a "V" welded it on both sides and put the boxing metal on top.  Any opinions if it'll work or not?

Funny thing is I had a complete QT-16 tractor to use as a spare parts donor, but got tired of looking at it and scrapped it last summer... Now I could have used the whole rear transaxle....

#4 1adamb OFFLINE  

1adamb

• 2 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:10 AM

sealpart.JPG puller.JPG final.JPG Heres the part # for the oil seal, the puller I used and evidence of clean garage floor after sitting all night.  I drove it around a little yesterday and parked it.  Maybe tonight I'll get a chance to hook up the three point and bottom plow and see if it stays together.

#5 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:11 AM

Hey, That looks like my handwriting on the bag! :poke:

I guess it was you that bought those from me last week :D

• 1adamb said thank you

#6 1adamb OFFLINE  

1adamb

• 2 Thanks
  • 38 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:18 AM

Bolens 1000, ha ha small world.  Yes I just bought them, they fit like a glove... thanks!