Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Help me choose an air compressor for sandblasting and shop.

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#106 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 11:37 AM

This is going to get expensive. Between the motor and the magnetic starter.

#107 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 11:41 AM

This is going to get expensive. Between the motor and the magnetic starter.

Worthwhile things rarely come cheap my friend! But, you know what a new compressor with these stats would cost!!!!!!!!!!!! Quite a savings!

#108 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 11:42 AM

I may have one used that I could make you a deal on George. We have another little project that you are doing for me, maybe we can do some horse trading?

#109 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 12:02 PM

DEFINITELY! It is your on/off switch. Large motors draw a lot of power, so no normal switch will stand up to the load they pull. These have large contact points to handle the load. For a 7.5hp, you need a 60 amp magnetic starter, for a 5hp you need a 40 amp starter. The magnetic switch is kicked on/off by the pressure switch on the tank. The magnetic starters come either 120V or 220V as to the coil that energizes the magnetic part. I would get a 120V so it will be simpler to wire from the pressure switch. Go to an electric supply shop once you get your motor. Tell them what you are doing & they can get you all fixed up & explain how to wire. Need any more help, just shout.

Daniel, You made me think about that some more. Our 3 phase comprsser is setup the way you discribed above, but our single phase 7 1/2hp shop compresser is wired thru a 60amp breaker to the presuure switch and thats how it's ran for years with no issues. we turn on the breaker and the pressure switch does the rest. The pressure switch also has a contact lockout lever that can be used, when servicing unit.

#110 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 12:11 PM

Daniel, You made me think about that some more. Our 3 phase comprsser is setup the way you discribed above, but our single phase 7 1/2hp shop compresser is wired thru a 60amp breaker to the presuure switch and thats how it's ran for years with no issues. we turn on the breaker and the pressure switch does the rest. The pressure switch also has a contact lockout lever that can be used, when servicing unit.

My not being familiar with large compressors, I may well stand corrected on the pressure switch handling the larger loads. I would think pressure switches for larger compressors have larger contacts, so might be that George will not need the magnetic starter. One reason for magnetic starters is for when electric power goes off. With magnetic starters on many applications, the motor will not restart on it's own (unlike with a compressor), so having a magnetic starter reduces intense loads whenever the electricity comes back online. Our grain bins have to use a starter to prevent huge surges on lines when they come back on after an outage, as we have to manually turn them back on.
George, take a look at the contacts in your pressure switch & see how large the contacts are.

#111 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 12:15 PM

I was looking at magnetic starters and here is one that would probably work: DP Contactor, 110-120V, 60A, Enclosed, 3P - Magnetic Motor Starters - Starters and Contactors - Electrical : Grainger Industrial Supply

I will try and find the pressure switch I was going to use and get the link to it. I remember it being rated for 30 amp.

#112 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 12:21 PM

Here is one that says it will do 30 amps and a 5 hp motor on 230volt.

PressureSwitch, 100-125, 1Port, Unload, Sw - Pressure Switches - Switches - Electrical : Grainger Industrial Supply

#113 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 12:27 PM

Here is one that says it will do 30 amps and a 5 hp motor on 230volt.

PressureSwitch, 100-125, 1Port, Unload, Sw - Pressure Switches - Switches - Electrical : Grainger Industrial Supply

That should do you fine on a 5hp George, and save some $'s! We always go up a notch on the milk parlor stuff just for a wider safety net. You would be fine with this & NO magnetic starter.

#114 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 12:56 PM

Here is a 7.5hp motor I have on my watch list also. It is a 215T frame which would work perfect also. NEW BALDOR 7.5HP ELECTRIC MOTOR AIR COMPRESSOR L1510T - eBay (item 390284253894 end time Feb-26-11 14:19:31 PST)

Another question I have is am I going to need a magnetic starter? I have no idea what they are or why I would need one LOL.

George, I just looked at this motor,and it says that it draws 31 amps. Now I know that starting amps are higher, but the pressure switch should handle those amps for the short period time that it will see those amps.
If it were mine and I have a lot of electrical equipment here at work, I would wire it thru the pressure switch and be done with it. That is just my humble opinion, After all it is you setup. Brian

#115 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 01:00 PM

Check thes out at McMaster Carr
McMaster-Carr

Air-Compressor Pressure Switches with Unloader Valve and Reset
60-11015-2524/241/4"4154K24235.28
50-14525-3324/241/4"4154K24635.78

#116 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:15 PM

That should do you fine on a 5hp George, and save some $'s! We always go up a notch on the milk parlor stuff just for a wider safety net. You would be fine with this & NO magnetic starter.

Most 5hp motors only draw 22 amps, so that switch would FOR SURE handle it. 7 1/2hp usually draws between 30 to 34 amps. I guess I've been dealing with milker vacuum pumps too long, as they run so many hours (at least 8hrs/day), we go way past what we have to on switches for durability (learned the hard way). When we break down it's really bad. You can buy more than 2 of those pressure switches for the price of one of the enclosed magnetics you posted link to. If it works for Brian, it should work for you, even with a 7 1/2hp.

#117 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 03:26 PM

FYI, I don't know if you guys are familiar with McMaster- Carr, but they are a industrial supplier that has everything you can think of and has been in business for as long as I can remmber. We always look there before we buy anything.

Hope this information is helpful.

#118 RailmanB110 OFFLINE  

RailmanB110

• Member No: 1725
  • 21 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 12:39 PM

George,
I was just going through my emails, & looked at Grainger clearance items. I thought you might have an interest in this : MtrStarter, w/Relay, 120V, 32A, Sw, Rd Lt - Magnetic Motor Starters - Starters and Contactors - Electrical : Grainger Industrial Supply

It's normally about $400, on sale for $89 ! It should cover all your bases quit nicely. It will do 3ph, but you can just use two ples for single ph. It also has the necesary motor protection, and start/stop switches that you should have. There are also lots of other configurations on clearance.
Joe
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#119 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 12:48 PM

George, that one Railman linked to is one good deal!!!!!
Motor-Starter-4UCV9_AS01.JPG

EATON MtrStarter, w/Relay, 120V, 32A, Sw, Rd Lt

Motor Starter, IEC with Overload Relay, Non-Reversing, NEMA Enclosure Type NEMA 1, Coil Volts 120, 50/60 Hz, Number of Poles 3, 32 Amps AC, Overload Relay Amp Setting 6.4-32A, Aux. Contact Configuration 1 NO, 5 HP @ 1 Phase - 120V, 10 HP @ 1 Phase - 230V, 10 HP @ 3 Phase - 208V, 10 HP @ 3 Phase - 230V, 20 HP @ 3 Phase - 460V, 25 HP @ 3 Phase - 575V, Height 12.6 In., Width 7.73 In., Depth 5.84 In., UL/cUL, Includes Hand/Off/Auto Switch, Red Run Light
Grainger Item #4RZN8 Price (ea.)$86.95

#120 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 03:47 PM

I am going to order it tonight. I tried doing the will call but it isn't in stock at the location nearest us so I will order it tonight and have it shipped. I had seen some of the ones that were on sale for like $44 and $65 but I have no idea for sure if they will work or not. I will link to them once I get home and have more time and maybe you guys with better judgement and knowledge can tell me if they will work or not.

I called the local Ingersoll Rand service center to get prices on a tune up kit and air filter assembly and gave her the model number and she never heard of it before LOL. I told her it is from 1968 and she said that would be why LOL.

Anyway I gotta get the serial number off the tank to give to her and she will try and dig up some more information on it and also find out what motor I should have or can get away with.