Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Help me choose an air compressor for sandblasting and shop.

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#91 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 11:54 AM

you will be close to 30cfm and I would bet close to 6 minutes to fill from empty,my 10hp eaton fills the 80 gallon tank in about 4 minutes from empty
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#92 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 08:13 PM

Alright guys, need some serious suggestions. If I run the compressor to kick in at 95psi and kick out at 135psi would I be able to get away with a 5hp 1725rpm motor? I am thinking that if I am not running the compressor at the higher psi levels that I shouldn't need as much horespower to run it. Especially considering it has the centrifugal unloader.

#93 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 09:10 PM

Here is a motor I have on my watch list. LEESON 5HP 215TC Single Phase Electric Motor, NIB! - eBay (item 250628767923 end time Mar-03-11 08:37:55 PST)

It is 5hp 1740 rpm single phase and in a 213 frame which I just measured according to the motor drawing they have posted and it would be a perfect fit. I am waiting to hear back to see if they allow customer pickup. If they do I will probably go for this one as there is also a place about a 1/2 hour from them that has a sandblast cabinet I am interested in.

#94 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 10:17 PM

give it a try ,but I would think that you would need to change the pulley to a smaller 1 on the electric motor to help get it past the initial torque of the start,because once spinning it will be fine

is the 213 motor what came off of it or was it a 215 the last number dictates shaft lenght the auction is listed as a 215 but shows a 213 box(only reason I asked)

#95 RailmanB110 OFFLINE  

RailmanB110

• Member No: 1725
  • 21 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 01:53 AM

It would help to know what rpm, & pulley size the previous owner ran on that compressor, or maybe what the bore/stroke specs are on the pump. I would still consider running two, or possibly one belt, if it's the right belt, with a big motor pulley. What is the pulley size on the pump? It's kinda hard to scale from the picts without a reference to scale to. If you run a big motor pulley. Here's a little info on what's available in belts from Grainger: http://www.grainger....nce Guide-_-Top

The hp ratings for the BX belts are substantiallly higher than std B belts. They reduce HP loss due to needing fewer belts, & are also more flexable. If you look at the 6.20" pulley size rating (11.34 hp), it gives about 2 hp more more belt for 1 belt than a std B belt. I would think the difference would be even greater in cold outside temps.
The other higher rated VX belts would most likely require a change of pulley's. I have a 60hp gang rip saw that runs 5 or 6 of the VX type. I't pretty amazing how much power they can handle. They are smaller than the BX but very strong. Unfortunately, they are a different pitch.
Joe
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#96 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 05:50 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know what size motor the previous owner ran, I have it but the label is missing and he burnt it up. It definitely wasn't any bigger then 5hp and I believe it was a 3 phase motor and he was running it single phase. He was also running it at 175psi.

The motor I linked to says the frame size is 213TC on the listing and on the box, I don't know what the C part stands for. According to the drawing for the motor linked at http://www.electricm...7_5hp1.25sf.pdf It will fit perfect as for the dimensions. The bolt holes on the compressor for the motor are 7" x 8.5" and the start of the shaft being 4.5" from the middle of the front mounting hole put it right in line with the back edge of the compressor's flywheel.

I will get a diameter measurement of the flywheel next time I get out to the garage.

#97 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 05:52 AM

If I have to I will bite the bullet and get a 7.5hp motor. Just trying to save a few bucks if I can LOL

#98 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 06:57 AM

I just went out and measured the flywheel and it is 16" in diameter so I don't know if that helps or not. I am assuming if I am getting a 1725 rpm motor I am going to want a motor pulley around 8" in diameter?

#99 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 09:53 AM

I just went out and measured the flywheel and it is 16" in diameter so I don't know if that helps or not. I am assuming if I am getting a 1725 rpm motor I am going to want a motor pulley around 8" in diameter?

What did you say the minimum recommended speed for the pump was?

#100 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 09:55 AM

It was either 570 or 750. I can't remember and the sticker blew off when I washed it.

#101 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 10:07 AM

At 1725 at the motor, with a 6" drive pulley, the compressor will spin at 647rpm. With a 7" pulley... 754rpm. With a 5.5" pulley...592rpm.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#102 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 10:10 AM

Here's a handy calculator for pulley configs/speed. Pulley And Belt Information Calculator
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#103 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 11:09 AM

Here is a 7.5hp motor I have on my watch list also. It is a 215T frame which would work perfect also. NEW BALDOR 7.5HP ELECTRIC MOTOR AIR COMPRESSOR L1510T - eBay (item 390284253894 end time Feb-26-11 14:19:31 PST)

Another question I have is am I going to need a magnetic starter? I have no idea what they are or why I would need one LOL.

#104 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 11:26 AM

George, A magnetic starter is a heavier starter that uses a magnet to pull in the contacts, versus a knife switch that you make contact by throwing in the knives into there slots. Mag. starters are heavy duty and easy to work on. One good thing about mag. starters is that you can put the starter out on the compresser and control it in the shop remotely with 110v control circut. They are easy to install and keps you away from the higher voltages that run the motor.
Hope this helps.

And no, you don't have to use one.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you

#105 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 11:31 AM

Here is a 7.5hp motor I have on my watch list also. It is a 215T frame which would work perfect also. NEW BALDOR 7.5HP ELECTRIC MOTOR AIR COMPRESSOR L1510T - eBay (item 390284253894 end time Feb-26-11 14:19:31 PST)

Another question I have is am I going to need a magnetic starter? I have no idea what they are or why I would need one LOL.

DEFINITELY! It is your on/off switch. Large motors draw a lot of power, so no normal switch will stand up to the load they pull. These have large contact points to handle the load. For a 7.5hp, you need a 60 amp magnetic starter, for a 5hp you need a 40 amp starter. The magnetic switch is kicked on/off by the pressure switch on the tank. The magnetic starters come either 120V or 220V as to the coil that energizes the magnetic part. I would get a 120V so it will be simpler to wire from the pressure switch. Go to an electric supply shop once you get your motor. Tell them what you are doing & they can get you all fixed up & explain how to wire. Need any more help, just shout.
  • NUTNDUN said thank you