Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Help me choose an air compressor for sandblasting and shop.

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#31 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 11:11 AM

I would say shipping is less than $200. For me I think it was $150 when I asked them

#32 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 11:19 AM

I did get a quote from them for shipping and it would be $125 so that is not bad. I gotta find out more details if I need to having it shipped to my work's dock or if they can deliver to a house. They have one other one that is the same thing except uses a different pump and is about $200 more. I don't know if it would be worth it for my use to go for the bigger or better pump as I don't know what the differences are. So far though the Polar Air compressors seem to be in the lead if I am going with a new one. Just gotta save up the money.

The one thing I really like is the ability to switch it between continuous run and auto on/off. Would save a little wear and tear when using it for sandblasting or painting.

#33 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 11:59 AM

After reading all the Polar info.......I want one!!!!!

#34 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 12:13 PM

After reading all the Polar info.......I want one!!!!!

It is tempting isn't it Daniel? Now if I could just win the lottery. I sense some sacrifices in the near future LOL.

#35 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 04:28 PM

That does look like a sturdy unit George! Eaton is a good name too. I think you may have found a winner there!

#36 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 04:29 PM

If my Binks ever packs it in,I would mind one something like that one,certainly an upright one anyway.

#37 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted February 03, 2011 - 12:32 PM

We went in to tractor supply today to get a few things and looked at the compressors while there. They had an Ingersol Rand for $849. It was a single stage but said it was rated at 18.1 cfm at 90 psi. I believe the model was SS5L5.

For the prices and specs I have been seeing on some others I am leaning towards this one. I know two stage would be better but I don't have a budget for how expensive some of the other ones are. I am still in shock with how much people are asking for used ones.

That is the model I have, it's quite a worker. I don't know about the others your looking at, but I can vouch for this one.
BTW, your "5hp" oilless is actualy only about 1.5 hp. the 5 rating is for "peak or startup" power. The ss5l5 is 5hp with 11.5 "peak" hp.
whatever you get will be a night and day differance to the one you have now, you'll wander why you waited so long. lol

#38 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 06:25 PM

Well I was really going to buy a new compressor but it was going to take some time to save up the money required for it. All of the used compressors I was coming across that were the size I wanted were three phase and people were still asking an arm and a leg for them. I happened to look on craigslist last night and there was a compressor listed that needed an electric motor and it was an Ingersol Rand T30 but it was older. Probably from the 80's because it is the blue color.

Anyway it was only about 45 minutes away so we went to look at it today. We ended up getting it and it was $200.00. He still had the old motor but no pulley. The old motor was three phase and was wired single phase and supposedly worked fine until he put a bigger pulley on it and then the motor burnt up? I don't know that much about wiring so I don't know for sure if that would happen or not but it sounded feasible. This thing is huge, I tried finding specs on the pump and so far I haven't found anything but the tag on the pump says Type 30 and the model number is 57T D. I did find a pump rebuild kit online for about $860 but the pump and tank are in really good shape.

We are more then likely setting it up out side and putting a roof over it. We are undecided if we are going to put an electric motor on it or power it with a gas engine. We have a couple of extra gas engines but without knowing the specs on the pump I am unsure what we are going to go with yet. The guy we got it from had an overhead crane that he used to load it for us. Unloading was the hard part. We pulled the flywheel off and then unbolted and unhooked the pumps air lines going to the tank. Took the pump off and set it to the side, then we slid the tank to the back of the truck and let one end down first and stood it on end. Then we rotated it and set it down. Then we bolted the pump back in place. We left the flywheel off for now because I wanna take the pressure washer and clean it off and also get the cooler coils cleaned off.

Here are pics:

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0190.jpg
  • DSC_0192.jpg
  • DSC_0188.jpg
  • DSC_0191.jpg
  • DSC_0189.jpg

#39 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 06:49 PM

Oh my aching back. Actually it went better than we hoped. Just lighten the load and make it easier to handle. George didn't mention my favorite part. My granddaughter was in the garage with us when her mom needed to run an errand. When asked if she wanted to go with Mommy or stay with Daddy and Pappy, her question was whether we would be using tools. When told yes about the tools, she stayed with Daddy and Pappy. She actually seemed to have fun using the ratchet to help tighten the bolts. When she grows up she better find a husband that knows how to cook so she can keep the family auto running. That's my girl.

Edited by grand, February 06, 2011 - 07:26 PM.

#40 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 07:09 PM

Thats a nice compressor. American quality no doubt.

Thats a real popular pump for the service trucks. The older ones usually have the Kohler 12HP with the relief set at 150-175psi.

You should check the tank for corrosion. That could be a mess if it is soft.

Good buy

#41 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 07:22 PM

Thats a nice compressor. American quality no doubt.

Thats a real popular pump for the service trucks. The older ones usually have the Kohler 12HP with the relief set at 150-175psi.

You should check the tank for corrosion. That could be a mess if it is soft.

Good buy

Mike,
Do you happen to know any info regarding the pump? Maybe specs or something? We haven't decided if we are going to power it with electric or gas yet. I am guessing we will need a 7.5hp electric motor if we go that route. The tank is really solid. I am going to put some pressure to it with my other air compressor and check for any leaks.

#42 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 07:45 PM

Depends how fast you spin it but the T30 I have seen with the gas engine are usually 15-20cfm at 175psi

That would be a big electric motor. Something like 30 running amps and 50 or 60 starting?

I think the compressor shop checks those tanks with a portable ultrasound machine. If youre putting it outside propably nothing to worry about right.

#43 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,611 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 08:07 PM

Most 7.5hp electric single phase run at max recommended load at 32 to 34 amps. I don't remember the starting amps, but we have ours on our milk vacuum pump on a 60 amp breaker.

#44 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,271 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 08:21 PM

Nice looking compressor, from all sides. You may be pouring a slab if you put her outside. Looks like it weighs a bunch. Grand: LOL on grandaughter, My girl was with me all day today too!

#45 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 06, 2011 - 08:26 PM

I think more then likely we will probably go with electric on it. I am assuming I would be alright if I go with a 7.5 hp single phase right? I noticed most of the motors are around 3,470 rpm which with it having a smaller pulley about a 1/3 size of the pumps flywheel it should put it around 1,000 rpm? I guess the motor pulley would be a little smaller then a 1/3 diameter of the flywheel. Dad seen the label on the pump that says about keeping the pump above 500+ rpm for proper oil lubrication.