Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Help me choose an air compressor for sandblasting and shop.

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#16 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 02:32 AM

The other idea that has been crossing my mind is building my own compressor considering there really isn't that much to them. I could use an old propane tank for the tank.

Well, I've got a pump that has been sitting in the loft that was given to me about 4 years ago to convert for just such a project. That never happened so it's yours if you want it.

I've also done the tandom setup like mike mentioned, biggest drawback I recon is floorspace used.

Alc also mentioned a viable option, and a lot of them (like the IR T-30 my shop uses) will already have the unloader built in. Ours is a 25 hp and the moter runs continuasly with the pump kicking in as needed so an engine conversion would just be a matter of mounting and pulleys (you should see the v-belt that monster uses). The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is, your gonna need to consider the differances between electric and internal combustion. An electric moter is always at 100% torque, and pump duty moters have big capaciters to handle load surges. An engine has a curve, so to end my babble, if you find a nice little 3 ph cheap that has a 10 hp moter on it, you might need to put a 15 hp engine on it for the conversion, meby less if you go diesel.

#17 RailmanB110 OFFLINE  

RailmanB110

• Member No: 1725
  • 21 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 09:42 AM

Nutndun,
If I were you, I'd just find a 5 to 7 1/2 hp 220 single phase, two stage unit. Keep in mind that cfm ratings are dependent on the psi it's rated at. Two stage pumps typically run at much lower rpm, produce a much higher volume of air per hp, & last way longer than a single stage.. They also will give more storage capacity at 175 psi, vs 120 psi.
I used to use a 25hp screw 90cfm (Kellog American), but ended up downsizing to a 5hp two stage 19.5cfm @ 175psi Speedair (Grainger brand). I bought it used for $500 along with about 150' of 1/2" hd hose. I've been running it for about 7 yrs, with absolutely no issues. It runs 6 days a week, for 8+ hr shifts doing about 75 gallons of paint per month, along with other air tools used daily around our woodworking shop. Parts are readily available from Grainger if needed, but I suspect it will be a long time befoire it's an issue.

What part of Pennsylvania do you live in?

Edited by RailmanB110, January 28, 2011 - 07:50 PM.

#18 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 10:30 AM

George,

I would look around on ebay and buy a compressor head and then buy a motor, you already have tank, don't you? I looked a couple days ago and saw some good deals around your part of the country. Just thought I would offer my 2 cents worth to your dilemma.

Brian

#19 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the helpful information guys. My current compressor is a Craftsman, I think it is 5hp oilless and I think the tank is either 26 gallon or 30 gallon. I can't remember for sure what the tank size is. I don't know if the tank size is big enough to make it worth while to put a new pump and motor on it. I haven't been looking too hard but I do want to start looking more. I also need to save a few more benjamins LOL

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 29, 2011 - 09:38 PM

What is the word on Curtis air compressors? The one site that has them and they seem to have better specs and better prices but I don't know how they rate.

#21 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 05:56 PM

We went in to tractor supply today to get a few things and looked at the compressors while there. They had an Ingersol Rand for $849. It was a single stage but said it was rated at 18.1 cfm at 90 psi. I believe the model was SS5L5.

For the prices and specs I have been seeing on some others I am leaning towards this one. I know two stage would be better but I don't have a budget for how expensive some of the other ones are. I am still in shock with how much people are asking for used ones.

#22 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 07:04 PM

Did you look on the Eaton website?
If youre going to buy a compressor under $2500 the Eatons are the way to go. They spin a huge pump at a real slow RPM.
Those cheaper IR are just a name

#23 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 07:56 PM

We went in to tractor supply today to get a few things and looked at the compressors while there. They had an Ingersol Rand for $849. It was a single stage but said it was rated at 18.1 cfm at 90 psi. I believe the model was SS5L5.

For the prices and specs I have been seeing on some others I am leaning towards this one. I know two stage would be better but I don't have a budget for how expensive some of the other ones are. I am still in shock with how much people are asking for used ones.

I've looked at that same one also. 100% duty cycle, so great for blasting, for the average guy like most of us, plenty air for media blasting. If I ever get to buy another, and don't stumble on some kind of super deal, I'd buy this Ingy myself.

#24 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 08:14 PM

George, I'd advise patience.
As someone who's Dad bought a unit based on specs & then regretted it... Sandblasting was a run-wait-run-wait thing.
Saving up for the one you need is cheaper than buying one now & then buying the right one later.

#25 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 08:51 PM

If youre going to buy a compressor under $2500 the Eatons are the way to go. They spin a huge pump at a real slow RPM.

I was on their site. I was admiring some of the screw type compressors. I gotta check on their site again.

#26 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 30, 2011 - 08:52 PM

I do appreciate everyones input and opinions. It is hard to spend that much money especially when you don't really have it. I might have to sacrifice a couple things so I can get one that would do us better then settling for something now. We are doing an outside wood burner this spring so we have it setup for next winter so that is going to put more of a hurting on the pocketbook.

#27 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 06:30 AM

I just looked on their site again last night. I really like this one: 3 - 10 HP Air Compressors:

It is 7.5hp and says it will do 26cfm @ 100psi. I tried looking on their site to find shipping info but I couldn't find anything when I looked. Shipping would be the only downfall unless they can do it pretty cheap. I will have to send them an email then and ask come questions.

#28 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 07:09 AM

I just looked on their site again last night. I really like this one: 3 - 10 HP Air Compressors:

That looks like a good one.

#29 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,250 Thanks
  • 28,602 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 08:25 AM

That looks well built and she should keep up with the blasting.

#30 RailmanB110 OFFLINE  

RailmanB110

• Member No: 1725
  • 21 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted January 31, 2011 - 10:42 AM

That would be a great choice! I'd go with the vertical. It hasf a small footprint, & personally, I think they drain better due to the small pan shape at the drain. . You'll need a 50 amp at 220v single phase breaker. I'm about 60 miles from their location.
Joe