Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Help me choose an air compressor for sandblasting and shop.

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#271 RailmanB110 OFFLINE  

RailmanB110

• Member No: 1725
  • 21 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 02:06 PM

I posted comp tech help this earlier, but it might be handy to look at again:
Surplus Center - Tech Help
Do you have a check valve in that position?

#272 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 02:19 PM

I don't think there is a check valve there. The discharge pipe out of the second cylinder goes directly into the tank via a 1" pipe. Which is the way it was setup and how it is shown in the manual. I think I might know why the auxiliary valve was acting goofy. It is a dual control valve, and turning the knob on the top only turns constant run on or off. The actual adjustment for kick in or kick out pressure is done by adjusting the valve lower down. The kick out pressure on the valve is supposed to be set to 5 psi below the setting of the pressure switch so they don't affect each other. I will attach the manual to this post. It is on page 16 figure 4-9 is the auxiliary valve that I have.

Attached Files

• Attached File  57td.pdf   5.68MB   217 downloads

#273 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 03:30 PM

I just did a bunch of thinking and recollection which seems to happen a lot lately LOL. I know what I did wrong with the auxiliary valve. I have the unloader line from the head running to a tee fitting at the auxiliary valve and the pressure switch unloader line runs to that tee also. Which should be fine. When I tried messing with the unloader valve it was after the compressor had already filled the tank and the pressure switch kicked out. When I went to turn the knob on the auxiliary valve air started coming which now makes sense as it was the air that the pressure switch was sending to the unloader.

I am going to pull the auxiliary valve off and I will hook my air line from the other compressor and regulator and set the kick out pressure on it. I am going to set it for 140 psi and once I get the new pulley for the motor I am going to set the pressure switch kick out to 145 psi. I was thinking 145/150 but I don't think I am going to notice the difference really in 5 extra psi.

#274 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 08:05 PM

Good news, when I got home I took the auxiliary valve off the compressor and used my old compressor and set the regulator to 140psi. Then adjusted the auxiliary valve to kick out at that pressure. I drained the compressor down some so it would start pumping and sure enough the auxiliary valve kicked out at 140 on the nose. Now I just need the smaller pulley to get here and I can change the settings on the pressure switch to 145 psi kick out.

#275 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted March 07, 2011 - 08:20 PM

That good news George, I knew you would get it straightened out.:thumbs:

#276 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 10:35 AM

After all the ridicule I figured I would post more to my infamous compressor thread :D

I got a new 3/8" air line and some 3/8" quick disconnect fittings yesterday. I finally got a chance to try out the compressor for a little bit without going to full pressure until I get the new pulley which should be here today. I hooked up my die grinder and held the trigger and the compressor still continued building pressure. I am so used to just draining the tank and the compressor not keeping up with the old compressor.

Once I get the new pulley on I need to see about borrowing or getting an amp reading gauge so I can check the amps at full load on the motor with the new pulley. If they are low enough I will try and get the overload relay wired back in.

#277 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 11:44 AM

Ridicule? Don't know what you mean? But what I wanna know is........what's a compressor? LOL Sounds like the project is about to be complete. Ridicule or not, we do expect full reports once in full swing operation.

#278 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 11:49 AM

Ridicule? Don't know what you mean? But what I wanna know is........what's a compressor? LOL Sounds like the project is about to be complete. Ridicule or not, we do expect full reports once in full swing operation.

LOL, I don't know what an air compressor is :D

I am anxious to do some sandblasting with the pot blaster. I have some Cub Cadet wheel weights that are the perfect volunteers for it too. I know when sandblasting with the pot blaster and the old compressor I would no sooner turn the air on and until I would reach down to open the media valve the compressor was already running and I would be lucky if I got a minute out of it until it started loosing pressure. Will be easy to gauge the performance of the new compressor against that. I am guessing I shouldn't have to stop at all :D

#279 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• Member No: 757
  • 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 11:59 AM

Hi-Flow Coupler Kit - TP Tools & Equipment

you may wanna look into the hiflow fittings fromTPtools to for blasting ,it will make a difference in keeping that pot full of air

get the ones for a half inch and get a half in hose,the 1/2" I cannot find on the site(didnt look that hard either) but there in the catalog

Edited by thecoater, March 14, 2011 - 12:05 PM.

#280 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 01:09 PM

That 1/4" hi flow looks to be about the same size as the 3/8" I got. I will have to take a pic of the male end to show.

#281 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 02:11 PM

but the 1/2in I refered you to is bigger you will need a half in hose aswell but your blasting will be WAYYYYYYYYYY more productive

#282 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 03:47 PM

yep and 1/2 makes a big difference on an impact

#283 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 05:10 PM

yep and 1/2 makes a big difference on an impact

Sure does! Our 1" impact won't take the truck rims off with 3/8 hose. Replaced with 1/2" and "varoom"...they are off!

#284 thecoater OFFLINE  

thecoater

Tractorholic

• 13 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 05:13 PM

its all about getting the cfm's to the tool

you can have 1000cfm but pushing it threw a straw wont do you a bit of good ,every place theres a hook up or connection your restricting flow

#285 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 14, 2011 - 05:45 PM

Well the compressor is basically finished. The smaller pulley came today and I got that installed. I took a bunch of amperage readings also. The compressor sounds much better now too.

Here are the readings I got:
0 psi startup > flashed to 183 and dropped to 22 amps
30 psi > 24 amps
70 psi > 27 amps
100 psi > 28.6 amps
135 psi at kickout > 30.5

I also got the constant speed unloader setup and working. It unloads at 130 psi and kicks back in at 105 psi. Only thing left to do is to try hooking the overload relay back up and see if it holds. I just can't remember where the two wires went when they had it hooked up lol.

I agree 1/2" air line will be ran to the blast cabinet. The 3/8" air line will work for 99% of our tasks and I will see about doing 1/2" air line on one of the other regulators.

Sent via GTtalk mobile.