Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Welcome to Garden Tractor Talk Forums

GTtalk is the place to go if you are a garden tractor collector or someone looking for information on your favorite tractor. We have interactive forums, registry, tractor / implement manuals, photo galleries, articles, show coverage, tech tips and how tos, classifieds and much more.

You are currently viewing our site as a guest which provides limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate with other members, vote on polls, upload images and attachments as well as many other special features. Registration is quick and easy and best of all completely free!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Photo
- - - - -

Help me choose an air compressor for sandblasting and shop.

• Please log in to reply
307 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 6,386 Thanks
  • 13,911 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 09:20 PM

I know I had another thread on air compressors but I wanted to start a new one because it is time to get a little more serious on picking on out that will work. I would love to stay on the cheaper side but I don't think it is going to be possible to stay too cheap with wanting to be able to run a sandblaster and normal air tools non stop without waiting for the air compressor to play catch up.

I have always been a fan of Ingersoll Rand air tools but it has been a long time since I really bought any air tools. I don't know if their quality has changed or not. The sandblaster we have says it uses between 6 cfm and 25 cfm at 90 psi. Well that is a big variance. I am guessing you can pull off the lower cfm number with a small tip and using a lot of sand?

I seen an Ingersoll Rand 3hp 230v 60 air compressor for around $550 and I think it was rated for: 11.3 cfm at 90 psi

The 5hp one which is around $850 is rated for 18.1 cfm at 90 psi.

I really don't want to spend that much but I also don't want to have to replace it in 5 years either. I would like it to be the last air compressor that I buy.

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 9,355 Thanks
  • 13,125 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 09:41 PM

I/R and Quincy both make good compressors

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 21,111 Thanks
  • 24,758 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 09:44 PM

For any amount of blasting, 11cfm won't get it done. DEFINITELY go big on your compressor.
  • superaben said thank you

#4 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 172 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 23, 2011 - 09:55 PM

Eaton Compressor & Fabrication Inc best compressor you will buy for the money

#5 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 2,589 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 08:48 PM

I know what you mean about a big cfm compressor , all I have is an old single cly 1/3 hp 30gl tank from the 50's , have a sand blaster , air sander and body saw that just won't work. Good luck .

#6 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,570 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 24, 2011 - 10:16 PM

George I have and older (1990's vintage) IR T30, 2 stage, 7 1/2 HP, 80 gal., reciprocating (piston type) compressor. The spec sheet says that it's capable of 24 cfm @ 175 psi. unfortunately, they retail for about $2200! I found mine used at a body shop that was upgrading their compressors to rotary screw type units. I paid $300 for it and it has NEVER let me down! I went through several home-built units as well as a couple of the big box store versions and they were just no where near what I wanted or needed. I would suggest that you might be able to find one used as well for a much better price and get a lot more compressor for your money! See if you can find a local company that sells them and see what you can get for a reasonable price. You may even be able to get something through you workplace account for considerably less than retail. Whatever you do, don't settle for a "cheap" big box store unit. You'll likely outgrow it too fast and be quickly dissatisfied with it's performance. Just my $.02
P.S. IMHO, if it says oil-less...walk away!

#7 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • Contributor
  • 6,386 Thanks
  • 13,911 posts

Posted January 25, 2011 - 08:45 AM

I am all for a used one too. If you happen to come across another one with those specs at a decent price let me know. I would drive over there and pick it up, it isn't that far. I seen one on ebay in Indiana that was tempting but that is a pretty good hike.

#8 Reverend Blair ONLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 466 Thanks
  • 938 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 03:37 PM

The screw type ones are always the best bet for shop tools and sandblasting. Unfortunately unless you've recently won the lottery, they are a little tough on the pocketbook. You might find one at a bankruptcy sale or something though.

I use a Campbell-Hausfeld 30 gallon piston-type one that's good for my air nailers, but when it comes to running an impact...well, let's just say that there's plenty of time to sip beer. It's not a great compressor, but the price was right and it's never let me down.

There was an old farmer back home who had figured something out using one way valves and a bunch of old propane tanks so he never ran short of air. I'm not sure of the details, but basically he created a lot of volume in smaller segments and kept it under pressure so he always had air. His compressor ran almost constantly, but he never had to wait.

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• Contributor
  • 1,570 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 08:07 PM

I am all for a used one too. If you happen to come across another one with those specs at a decent price let me know. I would drive over there and pick it up, it isn't that far. I seen one on ebay in Indiana that was tempting but that is a pretty good hike.

Now that I think of it, It was one of a pair. My BIL bought the other one. I think he sold it to his buddy, but I'll see if it's for sale and get back to you.

#10 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 58 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 03:27 AM

If you can find a heavy duty single phase(unless your willing to deal with a phase converter) compressor from a shop auction nearby than you could get a good deal. Keep in mind though, getting a used piece of machinery could become it's own project.
A buddy of mine got the 3 hp IR probably 3-4 years ago, last year I got the 5 hp. I wish I could have got the 2 stage that was a few hundred more, but I have not been dissapointed! We both got them from northern tool, could not find a better price and free shipping, check on freight for a 300 lb home delivery lol. I'm a little more hardcore than my buddy but both of us are metal workers and demand(have been spoiled at work) a lot from the air supply.
I should probably mention now you should take air tool ratings with a grain of salt. They usualy are given with duty cycles but they don't tell you that...eg. a die grinder might be rated at 6 cfm, but if they expect a 10% duty cycle that's 60 cfm used for 1 min. every 10 min!
I got the single stage 5 hp rated for 18.1 cfm. I brought home my big cleco grinder from work and it was able to keep up with me, the only trouble I had was the demand overwhelmed my design to keep condensate out of the lines. This is a 0.8 hp grinder that is rated for 27 cfm, when I use it at work if anyone else is plugged in on the same manifold there tools slow down when I start it up, tried to use it once with my neighbors 30 gal. crapman and it took about 15 sec. to drain it to 0 psi.
Well, without knowing what your needs truely are, or your budget, I guess I've done all the babbling I can do. This does fall into the how I make my living catagory, so if you wanna pick my brain it more it might be easier to give me your number and a time and I'll give you a call.
almost forgot, my sandblaster put less demand than my grinder on the compressor...

Edited by WQDL753, January 27, 2011 - 03:31 AM.
forgot to mention

#11 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • Contributor
  • 6,386 Thanks
  • 13,911 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 07:22 AM

I wanted to ask about the single phase or 3 phase. I keep seeing a lot of used 3 phase compressors for sale although they seem to all be a good distance away. I definitely want to make sure I make a good choice as I don't want to regret it later. How hard is it to do a phase converter? I don't know anything about wiring outside of standard household current.

I think if I can get a compressor rated for 17cfm or a little more that it would be good. I have been thinking about doing a sandblasting cabinet to do medium to small size parts and then it gives me the option of using the regular sandblaster for the big stuff like frames and hoods or I can take them down to the local guy. We did find out the local guy charges $95 an hour. I can't see it taking longer then a half hour to do a frame if you have the right tools.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

• Contributor
  • 1,570 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 05:08 PM

I called my BIL's friend. He said he uses it at his business, so he's not interested in selling it. It was worth a shot!

I wanted to ask about the single phase or 3 phase. I keep seeing a lot of used 3 phase compressors for sale although they seem to all be a good distance away. I definitely want to make sure I make a good choice as I don't want to regret it later. How hard is it to do a phase converter? I don't know anything about wiring outside of standard household current.

It's fairly easy to hook up a phase converter. They even come with instructions if you buy them new, but they cost about $250 last time I checked! The one thing that you need to know about a phase converter is that you're feeding it 2 phases (both legs of a single phase service) and it's mimicking a third leg. The third leg is a "ghost" leg, i.e. there is a voltage potential present, but there is no current flowing through it! What this means is that whatever the rated HP of the motor is, you reduce that by 1/3, and that's what you'll actually get out of it! Just wanted you to know that so you can make an informed decision.

#13 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • Contributor
  • 6,386 Thanks
  • 13,911 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 05:16 PM

I called my BIL's friend. He said he uses it at his business, so he's not interested in selling it. It was worth a shot!

It's fairly easy to hook up a phase converter. They even come with instructions if you buy them new, but they cost about $250 last time I checked! The one thing that you need to know about a phase converter is that you're feeding it 2 phases (both legs of a single phase service) and it's mimicking a third leg. The third leg is a "ghost" leg, i.e. there is a voltage potential present, but there is no current flowing through it! What this means is that whatever the rated HP of the motor is, you reduce that by 1/3, and that's what you'll actually get out of it! Just wanted you to know that so you can make an informed decision.

Thanks for asking your BIL.

I think I will try and stick with single phase. I know 3 phase provides more power with less energy if you have industrial voltage coming in but since we don't have that I don't think spending money on a phase converter on top of the compressor would be worth it unless I came across one heck of a deal.

The other idea that has been crossing my mind is building my own compressor considering there really isn't that much to them. I could use an old propane tank for the tank.

#14 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 2,589 Thanks
  • 4,584 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 07:59 PM

If get a good deal on a 3phase compressor how about mounting a gas or diesel engine in it's place, think it would need a unloader valve added . You could keep your old compressor for most uses then use the gas/diesel for the big jobs.

#15 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 143 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 10:58 PM

Here is another idea to ponder George. I have 2 air compressors in my shop. The first one is a 3 horsepower 2 cylinder one I have had for years. It is on a 20 gallon tank. I have that hooked up to my airline all the time and builds pressure pretty quickly. I ran across a used 5 horsepower 2 cylinder one with a 30 gallon tank pretty cheap. I have that one on a seperate switch and the air line from that one is connected to my first compressor with a ball valve in line. If I don't need a lot of air the smaller compressor will work just fine and if I am sanding and grinding and using a lot of air I throw the switch for the other compressor, open the ball valve and have both of them running, giving me a pretty good supply of air. I know this isn't a fancy way to do it but it didn't cost very much.