• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ironcub OFFLINE  

ironcub
  • Member No: 56184
  • 12 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 12:27 AM

I put a stainless steel exhaust piece from a motorcycle on my 1650 cub cadet early spring of 2013 and all was well and doing fine until the other day well over a year later the exhaust cracked open. Engine is totally fine , but the stainless steel exhaust isn't. Do any of you guys have any idea what might have caused it?

Attached Thumbnails

• 2014051495180057.jpg

Edited by ironcub, May 15, 2014 - 12:31 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#2 petrj6 ONLINE  

petrj6
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 53717
  • 3,808 Thanks
  • 2,221 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 04:49 AM

Stress crack!!!  Stainless is very funny about heating and cooling in an exhaust situation.  As it heats and cools it becomes work hardened and very hard, with the hardness it also gets very brittle.  as you run it it wiggles and vibrates then after some time       Bang!!!!!!!!!! there you go.  That is the reason why most bikes and cars have lots of hangers in the exhaust system especially out on the end where it will move allot.

The only way to avoid this would be to add a brace to keep the wiggling down

Pete

• HDWildBill and ironcub have said thanks

#3 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 05:22 AM

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 05:29 AM

Vibration. When you take that engineered pipe out of it's intended application and use it where it is subjected to different stresses it will break. A motorcycle exhaust is designed to be as light as possible and still get the job done so it doesn't have much tolerance for increased vibration or different support arrangements.

• HDWildBill said thank you

#5 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:21 AM

petri and JD have nailed it...I would like to add that motor cycle muffs.  are made with fairly thin metal .. and YES  Brackets

#6 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,709 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 09:26 AM

I think everyone has pretty well explained it.  A bikes exhaust is not made to be mounted like that with the weight pushing down and the vibrations. 

#7 BillTheTractorMan OFFLINE  

BillTheTractorMan

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1477
  • 203 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 12:40 PM

Here is a write up I did back along time ago as a teenager. I should add to it and update it when I get time. For what ever it's worth it may help you.

I've posted it a few places and it always seems to be lost, so I put it up on my own website where I know for sure it won't be lost.

Here's a link.
http://www.mysearstr....php?topic=56.0

sent from my telecomunication device, from the seat of my imaginary tractor, working my imaginary feilds.
  • Cvans said thank you