IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 09:29 PM

When I was in Rome NY 2 weeks ago, I was surprised to see Non-Ethanol fuel.

I thought that you couldn't get that anymore down there. Up here we have

it available in premium (91 octane). Rumor has it, that non-ethanol fuel is starting

to become available again in mid grade(89 octane). Maybe, perhaps somebody

is starting to see the light. After all, we just went through a propane shortage, which

they blamed on too much being used to dry the corn crop last fall. What gets done

with the dry corn? Do we make alcohol out of it, and add it to gasoline?

I refuse to buy ethanol fuel. I don't care if it's 15 cents a litre more. I won't support

that scam, and in the long run, I'm sure I'm further ahead.

• GTTinkerer said thank you

#17 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• Member No: 4935
  • 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 10:07 PM

One suggestion I have on you test:

Instead of waiting a month for your samples to absorb atmospheric moisture, go ahead and add water to your samples. You will start to see phase separation almost immediately in samples that contains ethanol and no fuel additives. It will be interesting to see how long the separation takes with a fuel additive in it.

Besides accelerating your experiment, you will be able to keep your samples sealed which will be safer or you.

#18 ironcub OFFLINE  

ironcub
  • Member No: 56184
  • 12 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 11:54 PM

Lucas ethanol treatment works great. I'm sure there are probably other products that do to, but my old cubs have clean fuel system and carbs using Lucas ethanol treatment. However I do run high test gas.

#19 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 06:55 AM

Anyone else remember when you could actually light gas  with a match nowdays you cant even get it lit

And after you use enough heat to get it burning, when the fire goes out you end up with an oily residue left over.

• Bill 76 said thank you

#20 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 07:00 AM

I honestly dont think any of the "Miracle" treatments work. I have tried just about every one and always have the same results.

Even the Lawn and Garden guys who sell the stuff were saying its more of a money making thing to sell the treatment.

Best you can do is buy high Octane gas and find Ethanol free fuel if you are lucky enough to do so.

#21 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,028 Thanks
  • 1,123 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 08:05 PM

Anyone else remember when you could actually light gas  with a match nowdays you cant even get it lit

And it smelled good and looked good. Now it stinks and looks like watered down pee. Fortunately some local stations are starting to sell 91 octane, non-ethanol gas. Unfortunately they want around 60 to 75 cents more per gallon. Still doesn't look like the old gas but it smells a little better.

DAC

#22 dodge trucker OFFLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,439 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 09:05 PM

yeah they have had gasohol for over 30 years now but there is  "something" difefrent about the crap we have been able to buy these last 5 years or so....the gasohol I bought while I was a teen in the 80s, never did to carbs what todays "fuel" does

• MFDAC said thank you

#23 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 561 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 12:32 PM

I must say I disagree with the whole ethanol debate. I run 87 ethanol gas in everything I have besides my weedeater because it will void my warrantee. What we have here is companies building piss poor parts to save money. It's not the gas it's the cheap materials that these companies make carb kits it of.

#24 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 03:11 PM

I must say I disagree with the whole ethanol debate. I run 87 ethanol gas in everything I have besides my weedeater because it will void my warrantee. What we have here is companies building piss poor parts to save money. It's not the gas it's the cheap materials that these companies make carb kits it of.

I am glad it works for you but my old equipment doesn't like the "new" gasoline any more than my new stuff does.  Same for my customers.  Some of my top money-makers last year were due to the new gasoline (over 60 carb rebuilds and 11 new carbs) so I guess I don't want to complain about the new gas too much.  Perhaps if the owners actually read and followed the owner's manuals it would be different but again I am not complaining.  On the back of every invoice I give my customers I print my suggestion that the owner use non-ethenol gasoline and where to purchase it locally.

Edited by GTTinkerer, May 18, 2014 - 03:11 PM.

• Cat385B said thank you

#25 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 03:24 PM

I would say I have to disagree with you. Being on the "Dealer" end of things for a couple years now I have experienced and have heard the horror stories of guys that have been doing this for 30-40 years. Especially older equipment that was never designed to run on this crap.

#26 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 04:45 PM

Don't even get me started on what I think of ethanol.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: gas, fuel, ethanol