Utah Smitty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,641 Thanks
  • 1,742 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 11:08 PM

Hey guys !

Now that I have my Sundstrand Hydro repaired and working good, I feel it is time to bring the motor up-to-date !!!

I found a nice little Kubota D662-e, triple diesel engine, that might be a good canditate to be dropped in there...

Does any of you have advices on fitment or off-the-shelf parts to help out with this transplant (flywheel adapters, PTO pulleys, engine mounts...) ???

I also would like to know your thoughts about that kind of repower : Should I stick to the K523, and rebuild it, or go forward and make this tractor a real beast ???

Thank you for your opinions !

I also attached a picture of the front rollers I added to the 54" mower deck, to prevent it from diggind in the ground on uneven ground...

Nice looking machine!  I just sold an HT23 with a Brantly loader.  I bought a Mitsubishi L3E engine to repower it but never did it... still have the engine.  Fortunately, this tractor drives the hydro off the back side of the engine, so you'll just need to make an adapter to mount to the flywheel on your diesel...

I wouldn't extend the frame, as the Bolens don't have real good turning radius as it is...

The HDT1000 was a factory-built Bolens with a K3B Mitsi diesel based on the HT series.  Bolens shoehorned the 3 cylinder diesel in the same length frame as what you have by moving the fuel tank and battery further forward and mounted it on a heavy guage piece of steel.  This did require extending the hood, but kept the wheel base--and turning radius-- the same.

Here's some pics--courtesy of Ol' Buzzard:

Bolens HDT 1000 Engine LH FRT.jpg Bolens HDT 1000 Engine RH FRT LOWER.jpg Bolens HDT 1000 Engine RH FRT.jpg Bolens HDT 1000 PTO PULLEY.jpg

Bolens HDT 1000 Engine TOP.jpg

Edited by Utah Smitty, May 20, 2014 - 11:20 PM.

• Cvans said thank you

#17 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted July 20, 2014 - 07:55 PM

im coming in a little late on this but ive got a z482 in an HT20 that i mow with. still quite the work in progress but its useable. I have a thread in this secton on what ive done to get the 2cylinder in there. stock battery and fuel tank location. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: large frame, ht20, kubota, diesel