• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 13, 2014 - 08:56 PM

I have an old pine tree stump ion my yard that is cut off at ground level, but was wanting to either grind the stump or use a stump remover { chemical dissolver} to get rid of it. its approx. 10 years old and hard as a rock still. Just wondering if anyone has had any luck with the disolvers? the stump is about the size of a 5 gallon bucket. thanks in advance.
  • Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and Gabriel have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 10:00 PM

I have had good luck with burning old stumps up at ground level by building a big char-coal fire right on top of it and putting open 55Ga. drum on it up side down. Check it every couple hrs and add more char-coal as it burns down. I have burnt them down 10 to 12" that way.

BTW, I want to build a stump grinder out of one of the rotary plows for my Gravely.

• Cvans, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,293 Thanks
  • 2,329 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 10:47 PM

Wonder if a trencher would grind up a stump.

I have a 4 foot wide Pine stump in the back yard that is in need of removal.I've been burning it for a couple weeks.I have a hole about 3 feet across and 2 feet deep burnt in it but it's still rock solid.I've dug up and cut off a bunch of roots but it's just so darn big.

I was going to just dig around and cut off all of the roots and Hopefully find someone to pull it out but I think it's to big for the average farm tractor or pick up truck to pull.

My Water Well is to close to it to use a chemical remover.  

Edited by EricFromPa, May 13, 2014 - 10:47 PM.

#4 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 11:59 PM

If I didn't have a Backhoe I'd sure give TD&H's charcoal idea a try. Sounds like a winner.

• GTTinkerer and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 04:18 AM

I don't think a trencher would work very well. The teeth are farther apart and does not rotate as fast as a stump grinder.

I like the buring idea, but I have seen roots burn for weeks, so don't burn up something you didn't want to burn!

• dodge trucker said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 05:20 AM

For a stump that size, I'd just bite the bullet and dig it down below the surface and cut it off. This can be back breaking work but if you get a second person to help it usually goes pretty fast. Another idea - If there is a BH working in the area try to hire him to pull it out for you. If you don't have to pay a float fee it won't cost you that much.

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#7 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 06:14 AM

The stump remover chemicals are just high nitrogen fertilizer. If you want to try it, just drill lots of holes into the stump(the bigger the better). With the holes cleanned out fill them with fertilizer. Good Luck, Rick

My best way to remove stumps is to push the tree over with my dozer and cut the stump off the trunk now that it is out of the ground.

• JDBrian, Cvans, HDWildBill and 1 other said thanks

#8 toppop52 ONLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,450 Thanks
  • 3,359 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 06:26 AM

One thing that works really well for two reasons is rock salt. It will eat away the stump and soften it until it falls apart, takes a few months with adding more every 2 weeks or so, just mix it with water or make a lot of ice cream and use the salt. The second way it works is that it attracts every deer within a mile and they'll gather around and munch on the stump to get the salt. I got one nearly eaten to the ground that way.

• Cvans, HDWildBill, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 14, 2014 - 06:48 AM

think I"ll start drilling holes and pour some salt water or urea water in the holes wish me luck...

#10 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,599 Thanks
  • 7,655 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 07:37 AM

The second way it works is that it attracts every deer within a mile and they'll gather around and munch on the stump to get the salt. I got one nearly eaten to the ground that way.

I live in town. This could be a problem, n'est-ce pas?

#11 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:58 AM

Try boring some holes in it about 1" X 6" - 8"  deep and pouring pure Epsom Slats in it. May need to add some Epsom salts along the way but I understand that this will dry up the root system and killt he stump in about a month or two. Never tried it. Heard it works good.                        Good Luck.                Roger.

• GTTinkerer, Cvans and HDWildBill have said thanks

#12 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 14, 2014 - 10:33 AM

thanks for all the good advice!

#13 farmer john ONLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 11:14 AM

this my not be popular but i have removed lots of stumps by running a large ships drill 3/4 -1 inch down 12-16 inches drilling lots of holes then soaking it with diesel fuel let it sit soak it again then setting it alight, sometimes they burn for days but in the end there are gone

• hamman, Cvans and HDWildBill have said thanks

#14 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:08 PM

this my not be popular but i have removed lots of stumps by running a large ships drill 3/4 -1 inch down 12-16 inches drilling lots of holes then soaking it with diesel fuel let it sit soak it again then setting it alight, sometimes they burn for days but in the end there are gone

believe me

believe me if I lived in the country that's what I would do.   

• farmer john said thank you

#15 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:12 PM

here is what I did do with the stump. I used a 1" spade bit and bored 7 or 8 holes anbout 6-8 inches deep and about 2 inches apart filled with 46-0-0- urea fertilizer and then covered the entire stump with more 46-0-0 urea fertilizer then watered to activate .......I will update the progress in a week or so ... in the mean time I will keep adding more urea to the stump and keep it well watered...
  • GTTinkerer, hamman, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks