Dont You Love It When You Call.....

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Kentucky OFFLINE  

• Member No: 55814
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 05:56 PM

About classified ad's that say "Run's perfect, cuts perfect" then when you call its always "Well it does need a new deck spindle or a pto switch" or it "does smoke a little and takes starter fluid to start" Another favorite "Well it ran perfect but I haven't started it in 6 months"...Man I been getting a lot of those lately :wallbanging:

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, tinbender7 and 4 others have said thanks

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,672 Thanks
  • 4,220 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 06:41 PM

They all ran when they were new! :bigrofl:

To bad these people can't be slapped with fraudulent  advertisement!

But if it won't start or run, then they can't expect top dollar for it.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,738 Thanks
  • 2,157 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:40 PM

But it's rare! rolling n laughing

#4 dthomp17 OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 480 Thanks
  • 409 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:47 PM

I see a lot of ads that say "it ran well when it was parked 10 years ago and probably only needs a new battery and the carb cleaned".

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:57 PM

I mess around with trade ins.  That's dangerous.  If you listen to the glowing descriptions of the seller, you'd think they had a NOS machine.  When it comes in or I go to see it, I usually have a surprise. 

Then the negotiations begin.  And I'm on the winning side with the advantage of saying "Your machine is not what you said it was."

Ben W.

• tinbender7 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#6 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 09:21 PM

Rare and Collectable = rarely do you find one in good condition, and collectable because if you have one.... you need three more for parts
  • petrj6 said thank you

#7 thom OFFLINE  

• Member No: 33353
  • 305 Thanks
  • 235 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 10:12 PM

It seems that a lot of sellers include the "probably will need carb cleaned" to sooth their conscience a little. Never mind the rod sticking thru the motor block. Or the mower deck falling off in pieces.

#8 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 04:52 AM

Ive been shopping for Ford LGT series stuff for about a year now but instead of calling the 'for sale' ads I posted my own wanted ad, I get calls from three provinces asking some ridiculous prices... but Ive also bought four tractors for less than $1000 combined, only one could be driven into the trailer, it was $300, but all three LGTs  run/drive now, at no extra cost, the fourth is an older Ford 120 that I havent had time to look at.

Last purchase was an LGT 145 for $180, had to push it into the trailer, cleaned the carb and gas tank, put in a battery and it runs, drives, mows, and tills... needs cosmetic work, but then the other day I had a guy with identical tractor and attachments, looks to be similar condition, turns over but doesnt run...asking $750

Point being if you spend some effort looking there are deals out there, but if you wait for somebody to splash some paint on an old tractor and advertise it he's gonna ask a higher price... and there is ppl who will pay the price because they didnt do any research to find that many of these old tractors are actually quite common.

• boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#9 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,118 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 07:26 AM

Also gotta love when they say "I paid this much for it". I don't care what they paid for it, I just want to know how much they want for it.

#10 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,714 Thanks
  • 864 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 02:48 PM

i know where your coming from. i love it when they are looking for bo. usually i ask them whats it going to take cash wise, if i dont get an answer i dont bother with it, he knows he wants to much, then there the guy that say $500 would make him happy, will i pack up go see the tractor offer him $300, i dont care if hes happy, i only worry about me, ha ha ha !!!!!

#11 Cvans OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,322 Thanks
  • 4,917 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 04:07 PM

To bad these people can't be slapped with fraudulent  advertisement!

Especially when you tell the seller that you don't want to drive 600 miles for nothing and they assure you the trip will be worth while. And it wasn't  :mad2: 

• jpackard56 said thank you

#12 Kentucky OFFLINE  

• Member No: 55814
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 07:42 AM

We have been looking for another GT more for a mower. I bet Ive called 20 ads this week and at least 3/4 of them have been the same crap. Ad says "Runs and cuts great" then on the phone "Well it does need this, or that and it needs the carb cleaned" :wallbanging:

Edited by Kentucky, May 16, 2014 - 07:43 AM.

#13 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 39654
  • 1,333 Thanks
  • 1,452 posts

Posted May 28, 2014 - 08:43 PM

If you think it's bad with GTs try antique chainsaws, people think their stuff is worth a fortune too. 

#14 motobreeder OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 07:07 AM

I've bought some that didn't run: "not sure why" - just needed the carb cleaned and runs like a top.

Others that "just need the carb cleaned" and still haven't got it to run.

You're gambling on 40 year old and older machines.  Just gamble with the $s you can afford to loose and have fun.

If the outcome isn't going great, I will ask if they have anything else for sale.  I got some really nice 6-12 ag tires on rims for way less than expected.  Sometimes it's the "junk" they didn't think was worth advertising that's the real score.

However, driving 600 miles is hard core.  You really want to find a way to mitigate the "surprise" factor.