John Deere Original Equipment Over "other" Brand

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LBrush OFFLINE  

• Member No: 49072
  • 19 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 03:13 PM

I have a couple of comments first then a question.  I just did 3 days work on my '74 110.  All new belts, new wiring harness, ignition switch, blade bearings, deck plates welded and painted, and fresh oil.  What a difference it makes to use the original John Deere stuff.  The off brand belts wouldn't let the variator work correctly, and the ignition switch was only 6 months old before having to be replaced again.  Now with all that work, it's back to being the 110 I fell in love with a long time ago.  One question.  With the new belts, the clutch doesn't want to disengage the drive completely.  Will this go away as the belts break in?  Super site.  I've learned a lot just by being a quiet sideline kind of guy.  Thanks to all who answer these questions.

• tinbender7 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#2 Trav1s ONLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,736 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 03:51 PM

Which drive are you talking about?  PTO clutch or drive clutch?  Either way there is likely an adjustment that needs fine-tuned.  If you are talking the drive clutch - That is part of the variator assembly that needs adjusted after installing new belts.  Do you have a service manual?  I don't have anything for the '68-74 gear drives.

My experience with parts is this:  You will pay more for Deere parts that work or you will pay in time using non-Deere parts.  I choose to pay for the parts as my time has worth.

Edited by Trav1s, May 13, 2014 - 03:52 PM.

• LBrush said thank you

#3 LBrush OFFLINE  

• Member No: 49072
  • 19 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 04:40 PM

The variator belt is working just fine now.  I think it's the secondary belt from the variator to the rear axle.  I do have a manual.  I don't learn too well from a book.  I'm a hands on learner.  I like pictures and drawings also.  Here are some pics of the deck plates that I've welded in place to support a lot of the rusted deck.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140507_114026_504.jpg
  • IMG_20140510_104325_186.jpg

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54307
  • 5,875 Thanks
  • 3,111 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 06:31 PM

Nice job on the deck. I am sure you will figure out your belt trouble soon, sounds like adjustment.  Noel

• LBrush said thank you