Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 05:38 AM

I tried cultivating for the first time with the DB last night and it works pretty good even though I dug up 2 potatoes  lol. The sweeps are worn so much ( I should have taken pictures )  mine look like these , single bolt holding them on .The other cultivator has the adjustable shank with 2 bolts holding the sweep on . Besides used has anyone bought new ones that will work on these shanks ? I would think it will be easier to find one for the adjustable one but the nonadjustable it would have to have the angle pretty close to  start    

Attached Thumbnails

• m6rdy-XxNDmvLR253olTy0A.jpg
  • mfcViK3cKOxmT0toOYJCSVQ.jpg

#2 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,456 Thanks
  • 2,801 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 05:37 PM

on the older round rod shank, nothing else will fit right. On the ones for the southern, which are adjustable, you need to find shovel that fit a front mounted tractor vator, not one from a field cultivator, which lay back to far. You could also go with just the plain steels. Although there not as wide you can set them closer together and add a couple more to cover the distance.

• Alc said thank you

#3 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 05:18 AM

you need to find shovel that fit a front mounted tractor vator, not one from a field cultivator, which lay back to far.

I don't know the difference between those two . I don't think Tractor Supply carries the sweeps . We used to have a store about 25 miles away , think it was called " Farm & Family"  but pretty sure TS bought them out . I tried online line but there are sooo many to chose from , On the straight shank ones I wonder if ones I saw online that had a single bolt could be attached and bent to the correct angle ?  Or the shanks themselves heated and bent ? 

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 05:29 AM

I might try to modify one of them or a pair, but not any more than that until I was sure what effect the heat and reshape would have.

What if, you replaced the round bars, bent to work with whatever you could find reasonable sweeps.
I wonder if you would have to heat treat the bar after forming and drilling the hole.
  • Alc said thank you

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 05:43 AM

I bet I could bend the round bars on a press without heating them , maybe just above were the sweep attaches .  I wish there was a good farm store near me . Might be a good reason for a road trip to my sister's in Lancaster Pa . Much more farm/tractors places there .

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 05:53 AM

Have you tried Agrisupply online. They have a bunch of points and sweeps.

• Alc said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 07:40 AM

I was looking at ones Agrisupply   if tuff trying to decide which would work the best by the pictures , I would hate to spend money on one style and find out that a different one would work better with the DB shanks .

#8 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,629 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 09:06 PM

I was looking through some of the extra cultivator parts from the Tri-Trac .There was 2 extra sweeps that fit the round shanks of the walkbehind then used 2 from the Sears rectangular  4 wheel frame that I had gotten at a swap-meet

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0824.JPG
  • DSCN0825.JPG
  • DSCN0827.JPG
  • DSCN0828.JPG
  • DSCN0829.JPG

• MH81, KennyP, Lauber1 and 1 other said thanks