36 replies to this topic

#16 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:11 PM

Is that the hard line that goes to the front of the tractor?

#17 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:14 PM

Is that the hard line that goes to the front of the tractor?

Yes it is, it goes to the front right side of tractor to the quick couplers

#18 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 08:34 PM

Chris, I may have the hydro line you need. I have extra lines that would have been standard for an H1 140. These the ones you're looking for?

#19 hdg4400 ONLINE  

hdg4400

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6945
  • 254 Thanks
  • 326 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 09:00 PM

BigFlash:

It's fun for me to watch people restore 140s. I had a 140 H1 for about 20 years, loved it, and worked it hard. But never thought to restore it.

On a related note, I have the Operator's Manual and the Service Manual for the 140, scanned in as PDFs. If you can use them, let me know.

Harlan

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#20 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 10:00 PM

Chris, I may have the hydro line you need. I have extra lines that would have been standard for an H1 140. These the ones you're looking for?

i just looked on jd parts and h1 and h3s had different oil lines, and i need h3 lines, I appreciate the offer tho.

BigFlash:

It's fun for me to watch people restore 140s. I had a 140 H1 for about 20 years, loved it, and worked it hard. But never thought to restore it.

On a related note, I have the Operator's Manual and the Service Manual for the 140, scanned in as PDFs. If you can use them, let me know.

Harlan

I already have a pdf of the service manual, but a copy of the operators would be nice to have.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#21 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 07:10 PM

Update: Well, the tractor runs and drives well. I found out tho that my carb float had a hole in it, and would cause the tractor to run for short periods of time and then shut off, so a new carb float was installed and all is well. It has a small amount of creep to it, so i'm gonna look into inspecting the linkage and doing the adjustment procedure.  I was able to source a hydraulic pipe, it's a original steel line in excellent condition, I don't have it on the tractor yet, before i got the new line, i went to the local hydraulics shop and bought 2 caps so i could keep running the tractor without it leaking everywhere. If you look closely you can see a shiny cap down inside there. In the next week here i will install the new hydraulic line,

IMG_1592_zpsae65a5d6.jpg

IMG_1595_zps9f2f7830.jpg

Once i got the caps on, i tapped the mounting holes on the carb and installed  the air cleaner with a new filter. I had to buy new screws for the air cleaner since i didn't have any. I used alan cap head screws out of personal preference. With that installed i moved on to reassembling the rest of the tractor. The fender pan had a broken rubber mount so i picked up a new one on one of them many trips to the deere dealer I've made the last couple weeks. You can see it laying in the background of one of the pictures

IMG_1633_zps39249689.jpg

I had a set of seat springs for the tractor and we had a used seat sitting around since we put a new one on our 212 so it found a new home on the 140. I sourced the bolts holding the seat to the springs from spares floating around the garage, and bought 4 news bolts to hold it the fender pan. Its not original type seat but i don't get worked up about whether it's the correct seat or not, plus it matches the tractor. Next time I'm at tractor supply, i'm going to pick up 2 new tail lights and get them mounted

IMG_1634_zpsc494fea4.jpg

IMG_1637_zps91aae010.jpg

• johndeereelfman, Trav1s and propane1 have said thanks

#22 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 24, 2014 - 08:00 PM

You are making some real progress. The lines are different because the valves are different. When I put my 317restoration  back together last year I had a bit of trouble getting all the lines back on in the right spots. It's real tight under there. I can't imagine an extra set of lines on an H3. I don't know where they would put them, but then the 140 has a different steering arrangement which may leave more space. 

#23 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 25, 2014 - 06:25 AM

I have a similar seat on my 120 but the correct one is waiting to be installed. Slow and steady progress is always a good thing. 

#24 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted July 13, 2014 - 03:47 PM

Alright, Time for and update, its been a while from the last one, The tractor had to be put on the sideline for a while, But I've been slowly working on it,  Since the last time i posted a couple things have happened. I found another steel hydraulic line leaking. The cost of the last steel line was a little salty, so i had a hose made for it. The only hose they had was rated for 6000 psi, and thats working pressure not burst, so there's that. I didn't get any pictures of it yet. Next problems we came across was what seemed like a exhaust leak, The tractor was louder then we really wanted it to be. So i tried removing the muffler and reposition it with the hopes of getting a better seal with the exhaust clamp. Well that didn't work out so well. The nipple in the block twisted right off, There was some pretty serious rust in there causing large portions of the threads to flake away but after about two weeks of daily soaking of pb blaster and some work with a harbor freight pipe tap. I got the block as good as its gonna get. The threads that are left seem to be holding well.

IMG_1820_zps7109d77b.jpg

So a quick trip to tractor supply netted me with a new pipe nipple long enough to make two exhaust nipples out of.

IMG_1895_zps4268df60.jpg

So with the new nipple in the block and nice new exhaust clamp, i got a nice seal and a little quieter tractor. That brings us up to yesterday. A friend of mine and i deiced to take the day and go to a U-Pull-It junkyard that was a little over an hour away from us. While roaming the lawn and garden section i hit what i consider the jackpot, relatively speaking. We were wandering around aimlessly and i suddenly came across a square fender 110, and to my surprise there laid a Headlight Panel. I thought to myself, there's no way, this is impossible. The headlight panel the sells for well over a hundred bucks on a bad on the internet is just sitting here. Now it's not perfect, it has a crack which seems easily fixable. Its missing the chrome rings, and the rubber mounts that hold the lights in leave some to be desired, but that doesn't matter. I have a headlight panel, which not having one has been driving me nuts without it, there was giant hole in the front of the tractor.

IMG_1908_zps7dfcbd5e.jpg

Now i got two lights with it, both of which work. But one when you hook a battery you can see smoke coming off something on the inside, so it will need replaced, so i might replace them both for a nice even look. Some of the more eagle eyed viewers might of noticed a unusual bracket on the side of the tractor. That has to do with a second find in the junkyard. A heavy duty air filter, now its not the deere branded one, i actually don't know what it's off of. It was just laying on the ground and something about said i need to take you home with me. So i found a bracket from a previous project and wedged it in there. Now i know some of might be thinking thats not original and has no place on there, and part of me agrees with out. But the other part of me loves functionality. Its a dual element filter so it has offer better protection than the stock along with longer service intervals, which I like a lot, plus I it think it looks plain cool.

IMG_1910_zps15df9fdd.jpg

IMG_1909_zpse66733fc.jpg

IMG_1911_zps3b505482.jpg

That wouldn't be the final location for it, and i'll get a new filters but. The big question is what kind of pipe or hose work i'll need to hook to the carb. I know hapco make an adapter for the deere heavy deere air filters but that looks like something i can make myself. The filter housing outlet is at a 90* angle which isn't ideal but i won't let it hold me back. I'd like to hear your ideas for hoses or piping or a better location. I don't want to have to modify anything permanently, so no drilling holes in that hood support panel but I'm more then filling to fab brackets. Now i had third purchase at the junkyard, which is nothing special but considering its condition and i payed less than 20 dollars for all 3 things, it was good day.

IMG_1915_zpsc7a71ec4.jpg

Now its not perfect and i don't know if it works, but is a lot clearer than the one i have, so I'm happy,

• johndeereelfman and propane1 have said thanks

#25 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Well, i figured it was time for an update again. Haven't made many changes to the tractor since the last update, the amp gauge i mentioned in the last post is in the tractor and works great.  Now that i'm thinking about theres a bunch of things I've done that i just didn't document as i went along. The first being i replaced the rear lights i had on the back with ones that are closer in design to that of the original ones. I also got the rear lights functioning, they had not been working prior. I replaced the neutral start switch, which didn't function do to a serious rust build up with a new one from Deere. I had to drill the hole bigger, but safety is safety. I also replaced the fuel cap/ gauge with a new one. You couldn't see through the old one. As well as the fuel shutoff valve in the bottom of the tank. While i was replacing all those part i changed the hydraulic filter, and decide to have a peek inside.

IMG_1916_zps38b34a2f.jpg

Now i don't have a filter cutter, so i had to use a hack saw, so naturally that put some material in there. But overall the filter was fairly clean considering i have no idea how long it was on there.  I found out we have a filter cutter at work so the next time i will borrow that to check the filter out. 

The last bit of progress i made was with my air cleaner mount. I'm not super satisfied with it, but working with the available tools i turned out pretty good i think and its greatly simplified by mounting it where its at. I broke down and bought a HD air cleaner adapter from Hapco. I attempted one of my own, but i just don't have the tools at my disposal to make it how i want it to be.

IMG_0117_zps7d25b400.jpg

I plan on mounting on of these guys on the top to complete the look,

H002040_c__93355.1380908944.640.640.jpg?

• olcowhand, johndeereelfman, Trav1s and 2 others have said thanks

#26 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for the update!  

• BigFlash said thank you

#27 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,741 Thanks
  • 8,915 posts

Posted August 18, 2014 - 08:24 PM

I had no idea they made a mini sediment pre-filter. Where did you find it?

#28 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted August 19, 2014 - 04:33 PM

That one is made by donaldson, which is who makes my air flitter housing it's self. You can get a couple different kinds, i like the ones you can see inside off. You can check out all their different options on their website, but i don't believe you can order direct from them. I work for a heavy equipment dealer that deals with them, so i'll have them order me one.

#29 Johndeerecrazy OFFLINE  

Johndeerecrazy
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 61495
  • 1 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 10:05 AM

Just Joined this form.  I read through your whole thread and you do nice work.  Keep up the good work.

#30 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted August 20, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Figured i throw up a picture of the rear lights, id take one at night but this tractor always gets put away first since you need to drive it to it's parking spot and can't just roll it around.

IMG_0121_zpseca4061e.jpg

• johndeereelfman and Trav1s have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john deere, 140, 140h3, restoration, rebuild