36 replies to this topic

#1 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7324
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 08:38 PM

One of my favorite parts of this website is following people's restorations over time, It's always interesting to see the progress they make and watch as old becomes new. So when we bought this tractor at the end of last summer i decided i would bring everyone along for the ride. I bought this tractor 2 days before i left for college this summer. We brought it home friday night, spent saturday degreasing and cleaning. Sunday it found it's way into the deep dark corner of the shed and sat there untouched until yesterday.

IMG_0846_zps8901b1eb.jpg

IMG_0855_zpsc020d2f1.jpg

IMG_0514_zpsad3e8f01.jpg

Earlier today it got dug out of the shed, drug into the garage and began to have it's innermost secrets revealed. One of which is what the inside of a john deere 140 muffler looks like. I'm sure your wandering now that i brought it up, so i'll show you.

IMG_1465_zpsf4c41317.jpg

IMG_1458_zps556160c0.jpg

Now when we bought it, we were told it they had it running, and it moved forward and backward. But as you can see, it needs another bath with engine degreaser and the pressure washer. 

IMG_1460_zps99261aab.jpg

Now this is where i ask for some help for the gurus, there is some kind of electrical device on the dash tower to the left of the cigarette lighter that i'm not familiar with. It's threaded, like maybe there was a knob on it, but i tried pushing it in and pulling it out, and it didn't move, but if it's anything, like the pto switch, it's completely seized. It was rumored that this had a snow cab on it at one time.

IMG_1467_zps9a3023fc.jpg

IMG_1455_zpsb1909355.jpg

So the plan for the time being is to get it running and driving, from there the tear down and painting will happen. 

• olcowhand, KennyP, johndeereelfman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 08:52 PM

Is it a breaker or reset for the cigarette lighter?

• superaben said thank you

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 09:25 PM

I'd say that it was a light switch for lights on the cab, but it's only a guess.

#4 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,113 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 04:58 AM

That's where the headlight/taillight switch is on my 140 H3. The cigarette lighter has its own breaker in the rear of the holder. Small hole at the back of it, push in a small pin in the hole to reset if its tripped. Noel
  • johndeereelfman and Cat385B have said thanks

#5 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 05:34 AM

Looks good cant wait

#6 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,480 Thanks
  • 2,535 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 05:49 AM

That is the light switch. Unfortunately, the pull knob is broken off. That circuit breaker you are showing if for the lights. The headlights and taillights were factory standards for the 140H3, as well as the cigarette lighter. I'm actually in the beginning stages of reassembling a 1973 140H3 myself, so it will be good to follow along with you on your restore. I'm more into the round fender 110 & 112's, so this 140 is a new adventure for me. Looking forward to seeing your progress. 

Tractor looks to be pretty complete, right down to the optional rear hydraulics. Expensive option to purchase outright! Glad to see though, that you removed and installed the rear wheels correctly.  :thumbs:

Let us know if you have question, and we'll help you out as much as we can. 

Edited by johndeereelfman, May 13, 2014 - 05:50 AM.

• propane1 said thank you

#7 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,113 Thanks
  • 3,205 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Just wondering what year it is ?? Does it have head lights and tail lights ?? Can't see from pictures. Mine is a 1970. Noel

#8 schweitz OFFLINE  

schweitz

• Member No: 3045
  • 17 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 11:17 PM

Looks like a good start. I'm just waiting to see how you are going to rebuild that muffler??

Seriously, can mufflers be restored/rebuilt if not totally rusted out. Muffler on my 312 is a little better than yours, but has no guts whatever. They were rattling around inside so I cut a hole in the end, fished out the loose pieces then pop rivited a patch over the hole I made. It's been working great for several years, but a little noisy and I'd like to replace some sort of sound deadener system inside.

Anybody have ideas?

• superspeedex and JBRamsey have said thanks

#9 superspeedex OFFLINE  

superspeedex

gttalk enthusiast

• Member No: 40756
  • 851 Thanks
  • 959 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 05:31 AM

Looks like a good start. I'm just waiting to see how you are going to rebuild that muffler??

Seriously, can mufflers be restored/rebuilt if not totally rusted out. Muffler on my 312 is a little better than yours, but has no guts whatever. They were rattling around inside so I cut a hole in the end, fished out the loose pieces then pop rivited a patch over the hole I made. It's been working great for several years, but a little noisy and I'd like to replace some sort of sound deadener system inside.

Anybody have ideas?

Could you use like 4 stroke four wheeler exhaust packing this is what i use.. http://www.rockymoun...rm=lexx packing its a big sheet probaly do 4 mufflers  and takes heat casue my pipe turns cherry red

#10 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 07:22 AM

Just wondering what year it is ?? Does it have head lights and tail lights ?? Can't see from pictures. Mine is a 1970. Noel

It has the late style hydro so it is a '71 or newer.  Nice project!

#11 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 07:46 PM

Serial number places it as a 73, and it should have head lights and tail lights,  but the taillights were smashed and the whole front light plate is missing. I will need to find one down the road, I think i will end up putting very similar led tail lights on it, lessens the electrical load, and the plan is to make this my working tractor down the road.

#12 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,603 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:21 PM

Sounds like you are approaching this 140 like I approached my 120.  I am still working on LED headlights for it.  I picked up my LED tails at Napa and made my own wiring harness.

Attached Thumbnails

• 580273_10200598681103356_711893228_n.jpg
  • 65264_10200598680743347_1918721954_n.jpg
  • 993936_10200633136404717_631628612_n-2.jpg

• A.C.T. said thank you

#13 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:38 PM

Can anyone answer a question, I was trying to explain so someone recently the difference between my garden tractors (140, 212) and their modern lawn tractor. That got me wandering.

If you had the same money today, what would that buy you? So i searched around and found one post stating that a new 140H3 cost 1875.00 dollars back in they day. But i have no idea if that's correct or way off. Can anyone verify that number or that number being close?

But assuming that is correct, a new 140H3 (according to several inflation calculators) today will cost you a little over 9500.00 dollars. Today that gets you X710 from deere, a somewhat comparable machine

Sounds like you are approaching this 140 like I approached my 120.  I am still working on LED headlights for it.  I picked up my LED tails at Napa and made my own wiring harness.

Those look good, only people looking for things wrong will know, and they functional.

#14 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 08:26 PM

Update: Today was attempt one at trying the start the 140.  Had the starter rebuilt at a local shop that does excellent work and have rebuilt several starters for us in the past. Plenty of starting power. The battery i have for the tractor is a little on the weak side, but will hold me over for the time being.

The brakes on the other hand are a different story, almost every spring related to the brakes was broken, and one brake shoe came completly unbounded. The rest of the brake shoes are still usable and have good pad life left in them. I ordered all new springs and a new brake pad at a local dealer, so hopefully the breaks will be fully functioning soon, It won't leave the jack stands till the brakes are in proper working order. Sorry i didn't grab any pictures while i had everything apart.

IMG_1492_zps915cbaed.jpg

IMG_1489_zps02c8bbab.jpg

The electrical system is relatively sound for now. Good enough to get the tractor started, I replaced the missing key switch and pto switch. The engine has a good spark to it, which was a relief for me. What's holding me back at the moment is the carburetor, to say it was gunked up is an understatement. It seemed as if the old fuel line had decomposed and found it's way into the carb, it was full of a incredibly thick, sticky, black goo. I cleaned it the best i could but the float seat and float needle were beyond saving. It would either stick shut and leave the fuel blow dry or stick open and flood.  A trip to the local parts supplier is in the books for tomorrow.

IMG_1487_zpsba3595dd.jpg

• johndeereelfman said thank you

#15 BigFlash OFFLINE  

BigFlash

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 150 Thanks
  • 88 posts

Posted May 20, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Another update. The tractors RUNS!! Once i rebuilt the carberuator with the rebuild kit, everything was functioning well, So attempt number two at starting began. Without any starting aids, the tractor started right up. BUT let me tell you, with no muffler, in a one car garage, those motors are hellaciously loud, the video doesn't really do it justice. 

This picture shows what the inside of the carb was like,

IMG_1534_zps257e5d81.jpg

Luckily tho, we picked a muffler in excellent condition locally and will be able to let the tractor run for a while, to make sure everything is good, As you can probably see, the transmission seems to be in working order. The hydraulic rock shaft cylinder moved smoothly and fluidly , so once i have the last break spring on, the tractor will be able to leave the jack stands, and move under it's own power.

IMG_1590_zpsea178302.jpg

IMG_1537_zps2a69aafd.jpg

IMG_1571_zpsb22199b7.jpg

At least that's what i thought, until the next day, a noticed a small fresh oil puddle sitting under the tractor. This wasn't just any oil, it was red. Which meant hydraulic leak, after some searching i found the source, a steel hydraulic line had 2 small pin hole from rust.

IMG_1574_zps6aeefa1a.jpg

So for the time being, I'm on the hunt for a steel hydraulic line, If i can't source one in the next couple days, I will probably have a hose made to replace it, yes it won't be original but it will be functional

Edited by BigFlash, May 20, 2014 - 07:23 PM.

• johndeereelfman said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: john deere, 140, 140h3, restoration, rebuild