25 replies to this topic

#16 tpevlor OFFLINE  

tpevlor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 57151
  • 4 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 06:52 PM

to Cat...the deck you pictured is VERY similar...mine is white...doesn't have the winch looking thin on the front...gearbox looks the same...the diagram of a gearbox looks correct....cant get the gearbox off because of the pulley underneath......any suggestions?..I would take the gearbox to a shop if I could remove it...

#17 tpevlor OFFLINE  

tpevlor
  • Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 07:01 PM

when I mow there is a lot of vibration and noise...Ive greased everything and made sure everything is tight...there is some play in that particular blade...took the blade off and can wobble the spindle slightly...gears seem good...leaves me to thinking its the bearings

#18 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,756 Thanks
  • 8,924 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 07:05 PM

It's the bearings or the key on the shaft, most likely.

..doesn't have the winch looking thin on the front...gearbox looks the same...the diagram of a gearbox looks correct...

The winch in the pic I posted is attached to the trailer the mower deck is sitting atop of.

If your deck is white, it's one the early (70's) models. That diagram should be representative of what you're dealing with. I haven't seen one of these apart, I don't know how the belt drive pulley fastens to the gearbox shaft. But you're saying the pulley (and the shaft going up to) below the gearbox is loose? I would definitely be suspecting the keys on the shaft. #19 in the diagram.

Oops, misread your post. Your saying there is slop in the spindle of the blade. I'll see if I can find a diagram of the spindles.

#19 tpevlor OFFLINE  

tpevlor
  • Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 07:09 PM

the key on the shaft broke in half as I was removing the blade so it was bad...but there is sti9ll the wobble in the spindle...thought I should replace it as I have it torn this far apart??

#20 tpevlor OFFLINE  

tpevlor
  • Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 07:18 PM

Hmm...glad you pointed out number 19...the key that broke for me was in the pto shaft...was sure that wasn't the wobble...

#21 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 08:41 AM

Yours might be the same as mine.  Mine has the white deck and the K321S and is a GT-14.

I hope you can figure this out, mine needs a new key on the lower front drive pulley that drives the shaft going to the mower deck.

#22 tpevlor OFFLINE  

tpevlor
  • Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 04:45 PM

Ok..got it figured out...I needed to remove the pulley from the bottom of the deck with a gear puller. This allows the gearbox to be removed from the top side..taking the gearbox to the shop!  I have since decided that even though that bearing needs replaced..it wasn't causing the majority of the vibration I was getting  while mowing.....the vibration was coming from the almost gone universal joint in the pto shaft! Guess I was so busy looking for something wrong with the deck that I completely overlooked the pto shaft! Replaced that today...just need a new roll pin in the shaft and Im back in business!  Thanks to every one who replyed!  Its nice to know someone out there is willing to help a poor girl out!!!

.... and to Victor...accordihng to the repair manual that I have (its like a Chilton's for garden tractors) the K321S can either be on a 16 hp or a 14 hp...the 14 comes in either Gear or Hydro. Im guessing yours is the geared...thus the GT  and mine is Hydrostat. The tag with the model number is torn mostly off so I cant determine the model number..there are so many!!  somewhere along the line I had written down 931018. I don't remember where I got that from but it would be my best guess. Wish there was something that listed the differences.

• KennyP said thank you

#23 tpevlor OFFLINE  

tpevlor
  • Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Im wrong on the GT vs S thing.  After poking around on some other sites, seems that may just be that GT is newer..a precurser to the Grand Serria...who knows!!

#24 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,578 Thanks
  • 3,958 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:31 PM

Welcome to the forums!

Ariens used the engine size for the number in the model. As in the S-12 had a 12 horse and so on. 

This line of tractors was originally designed and built by Sperry New Holland. I think it was around 1980 that the S was finished and the GT was introduced. The Grand Sierra was the last garden tractor Ariens built. Now they are more of a LT version. 

The greatest thing about this line of tractors, is that through all the years all the attachments will interchange. No worries about finding the right year to be able to hook up.

#25 victor3ranger OFFLINE  

victor3ranger
  • Member No: 48052
  • 310 Thanks
  • 604 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 11:56 AM

I am working on my GT14 a little every night trying to get things fixed and working again.  I attached the Johnny Bucket lastnight on the rear.  But I sure wish I could get the front driveshaft pulley repaired so I can have the mower deck working too.

#26 tpevlor OFFLINE  

tpevlor
  • Contributor
  • 4 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 05:32 PM

I replaced the front driveshaft pulley on mine through parts on ebay...just sayin..    Of interest to anyone..Through researching and trying to figure out what model # mine is..Ive learned that GT means Graden tractor..just what that is Im not sure, but I do know that Gradens were put out by Ariens, John Deere, Speedx, Craftsman and others.  Ive come to the conclusion that mine is a 931002 which means it was built in 1974. Not bad considering that its in great shape.