What Was Your First Garden Tractor

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 Kentucky OFFLINE  

• Member No: 55814
  • 106 Thanks
  • 62 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 06:14 PM

Growing up on a farm we never had a "garden tractor" we had push mowers and farm tractors. The first tractor I ever had exp with was a MF 135. Great old machine..My first garden tractor was a old sears suburban.

• Gabriel said thank you

#17 toppop52 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 54420
  • 3,218 Thanks
  • 3,211 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 09:04 PM

The first one I personally owned was 6hp Panzer, bought it around 1984. My stp dad had a Sears SS 12 with a lot of attachments, bought new around 1967 or so.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#18 bja105 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 09:16 PM

My Cub Cadet 147. I needed a second mowing tractor and found this for sale in someone's yard. The PTO slipped, so I used it for other things for two years before I fixed the PTO and deck. It is a fine tractor, one I use frequently.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#19 tom tractor OFFLINE  

tom tractor
  • Member No: 51604
  • 179 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 05:55 AM

My first true garden tractor was a panzer t60. I went to a country fair where they has garden tractor pulls and was hooked. One guy had a panzer and I fell in love. I looked and found one one town over from me. I enjoyed every second of restoring it. 12 tractors later I still own it.

Edited by tom tractor, May 14, 2014 - 06:46 AM.

#20 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,468 Thanks
  • 17,093 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 06:01 AM

First I ever drove was my Grandpa's 1965 Bolens 1000

Was purchased in 1966 and has been in the family ever since

Attached Thumbnails

• bolens 1000 3 012.JPG

• TomLGT195 said thank you

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,417 Thanks
  • 4,883 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:20 AM

The first GT I grew up on was dad's AC HB212, I think he bought it only a year or two old in 1971.

We ran it on a hill with low oil and snapped the rod, it's sat in the barn since 1990. I just found another motor, I hope to get it running and restored someday.

Pic is from last Oct when I cleaned out the barn, first time it has seen light since '90

The first GT that was actually mine, is a 68 Sears suburban SS12 that I inherited from my wief's uncle before he past. He gave it to me over his two nephews cause he said I would/could actually get it running/restore it. It still in storage in the barn.

#22 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

• Member No: 20120
  • 1,842 Thanks
  • 1,064 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 09:29 PM

First drive  70-s Case 444, with tiller Deck and blower.

I don't think my dad ever saw me doing wheelies with it. I Hope.

First owned riding mower, 76 JD rear engine rIder.

First owned lawn tractor.   98 MTD, stamped steel junk.

First real GT, my 77 Ford LGT100

#23 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

• Member No: 58852
  • 849 Thanks
  • 350 posts

Posted June 16, 2014 - 08:28 AM

My folks had a Sperry Rand New Holland 12HP that mowed their lawn and blew the snow when it got deep  till then a blade was used. It had that electronic ignition module on the Kohler engine that kept dyeing.

So dad parked it and ordered a new module after it died one day, while he was there he bought a new Ariens H16.  It was a nice tractor with the hrydrlic lift and 3 pt.

When I married my wife and I bought a nice place in the country where they used to pasture the horses in the front of the house which is 400 feet off the road. and a bunch more behind the house.

I mowed with a 22" self propelled more starting on Saturday finishing on Thursday and back at the start again on Saturday.

Told the wife we needed a lawn tractor to mow with or just not mow all that much.

Instead of starting the mowing that Saturday we went used tractor mower shopping with the local papers for sale ads. I seen a Toro I really wanted but the wife felt it was to small with a 32 inch deck and 8HP.

We ended up getting a very used sears SS with a B/S 10HP engine at a dealers. That thing had a skirt on the mower deck that made a lot of lift so it cut grass beautifully It also had a Home made 3pt using a pump from a convertible car and the cylinders. If the grass got over 4 inches long it would blow a head gasket  so I got good at removing the head and replacing the gasket. 

Finally started running octane boost in the gas.

In August 1988 I was mowing when the engine seized. We were a little more flush by then so went shopping for a brand new lawn tractor. I wanted a Ariens like dads but I wasn't that flush so the second choice was a Bolens like a friend had with the foot hydro. No dealer had one of those so I got a Simplicity 6517.

I have mowed a lot of grass with it over the years and like it a lot. I modified the steering drag link when it broke with a pair of snowmobile tie rod ends. Finally last year it kept blowing belts so I have stopped using it to mow with a New 60 inch zrt does that now.

It's 25th birthday.

When the wife's dad passed away in 2010 we got his mowing tractor a 7112 Simplicity when mom decided she wanted some thing newer and bigger and the dealer didn't want it as a trade in.

When My mom passed away I got dads New Holland and the Ariens. A friend gave me a little wheel horse with a 7 HP kohler engine with now spark.

We have a collection of 22 old Massey Harris tractors one old Allis Chamber and one Ford 5000 gas.

:D   Al

• toppop52 said thank you

#24 cubx4 OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 58987
  • 0 Thanks
  • 8 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 06:48 PM

lstlk8950marion.jpg My first was this '62 Cub Cadet Original which I still own. Bought from the original owner in 1974, has sat endlessly in my fathers garage for years on end. Found my home in 1988, and has since been my pride and joy through the years.

#25 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,461 Thanks
  • 2,527 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 09:52 PM

My first tractor that I bought was a 1966 John Deere 110 back in 1989. Bought the tractor with a mower deck and a snowthrower and a set of rear wheel weights for $150.00. Still own the tractor and has been added to the collection. My son (jdelfjunior) has since inherited it and calls it his own. 1989? Just doesn't seem like it was that long ago, and feels like it was just yesterday. 

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,652 Thanks
  • 1,682 posts

Posted June 17, 2014 - 11:00 PM

Mine was a Sears Custom 7, bought it for $65 and mowed with it for a couple seasons, then we didn't need it as a mower so we put on a 16hp B&S engine and AG tires. We used it for several more years in the garden and ect.

I ended up shattering one rear hub, I then found some 5 bolt hubs and I put them on.

What finally killed it was the belt came off and got wedged between the rear end and pulley. It took out some seals and started leaking.

That's when it was parked, now I have a John Deere 140 with loader, Bolens HT23 with 54" mower deck and a Kubota L2000 with loader, backhoe, box blade, 60" finish mower, single bottom plow, raised bed builder.

That picture is before we put duals on it, I'll half to see if I can find a picture of it with the duels and weights.

Any idea of the year?

Edited by BTS, June 17, 2014 - 11:01 PM.

#27 FrozenInTime OFFLINE  

• Member No: 46384
  • 566 Thanks
  • 352 posts

Posted June 18, 2014 - 03:37 AM

My first one was/is a Craftsman GT6000.  I use it mostly for mowing, some towing/yard work.  I had planned on using it in the garden but picked up a Snapper 1855A.  Saw it at a buds place one day, I had grown up using Snapper Comet mowers.  Until I saw this one, I had no idea that Snapper made GTs.  I had to have it.  Finally talked my bud into pulling it out of the weeds and selling it to me.  The eng was in pieces and strewn all over the place between 2 barns.  Came with a deck and blower.  Used the blower some this past winter til it ate a gear, now have it back together after some machine work.  The motor still acts like is is fuel starved at times, even with a new Onan vacuum pump on it.  Hopefully tomorrow or next day I will get an elec. pump installed I just picked up.  If this fixes my problems, I will be putting new meat all way round and start collecting ground engaging attachments for the garden work.  This is fun!  It is causing me to put the antique ACs on the back burner, I have 2 waiting restoration, some day.  The GT is more fun.

#28 motobreeder OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted June 22, 2014 - 07:36 PM

I have a cub cadet 2206 that i got when we purchased the house.  But that's a riding mower and snowblower.  The GT craziness started with a 6HP Moto-mower.

Moto-mower model 6020 manuals
Last Updated Mar 16, 2012 11:22 AM

Being the first vintage GT, it holds a special place for my son and me.

#29 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,405 Thanks
  • 4,612 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 05:29 PM

1964 Bolens 800.

When the wife inherited the house when my MIL passed in 2010, this was in the far corner of the garage.
My FIL bought it new, and used it until 1977 when he bought a new Sears tractor.
When I found it, the blade was on it, and I later found the dump attachment in the side room of the garage.

#30 Garden Mark Tractor OFFLINE  

Garden Mark Tractor
  • Member No: 59284
  • 3 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted June 23, 2014 - 06:40 PM

I have a glen mark garden. tractor and need he'd findin what year it is is a 7.25 hp