#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 08:35 AM

Went over to mom's to feed this morning, walked into a little surprise, a baby goat. My calculations were off about 4 wks, guess the buck had an earlier meeting I didn't know about.

She actually had twins, looks like the little doe was still born.The little buck was up and walking a little wobbly, but all cleaned up and nursing. Not sure what we will do with him now, probably end up in someone's freezer.

Kind of worried when she got fat, it is a daddy-uncle situation, wasn't sure if they would come out with extra legs or something :D

I'll try to post pics tomorrow, didn't have my camera with me.

• daytime dave, Alc, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#2 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 10:16 AM

Congratulations on the one healthy birth. I'm glad to hear there are no "extra" parts!
  • TAHOE said thank you

#3 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 10:59 AM

We raised goats for years, and where a randy buck is concerned, where there's a will, there's a way. Ken used to say a buck would breed a fence post once fall came around. As far as the daddy-uncle thing goes, good genetics are just that, and I wouldn't worry about an accidental breeding, recessive genes not withstanding. Serious purebred breeders use tight line breeding/inbreeding to identify hidden faults quite often. The freezer is where the mistakes go. For Murphy's Law reference, in mixed sex twins, if you are trying to increase the herd, the doe kid is the one you'll lose, lol.
  • jpackard56, LilysDad and TAHOE have said thanks

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,588 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 11:04 AM

I know nothing of goats, other than my 2 pygmy goats, which I never plan to breed either.  But in cows, if you have mixed sexed twins, often the female will be barren....missing a full reproductive tract, caused from the predominant male's chromosomes mixing, messing up the female's tract.  Is it this way in goats I wonder?

• Alc, LilysDad, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#5 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 11:16 AM

They had gotten together in the same pen Jan that I saw, but my calculations put birthing first of June so he must've done the deed before Christmas and I missed it.

We do line breeding in our goats and rabbits, but it's only father-daughter or son-mother, .never brother-sister sooooo.... he at least looks "normal" :smilewink:

We have no need for a buck or wethered pet so either way, he will go bye-bye after he's weaned.

Sure messed up our breeding times with this doe, she bred earlier in age than we wanted. If we breed her again, she will wean then go right back into being bred, I do not like doing that to give her some recovery time, but we will have to wait over a year to bred again if we wait. We breed in August to get early year kids so they can be used as market animals at fair.

Daniel, goats throw twins 50-60% of the time, singles and triples are about 20-25% each, sometimes you will get quads. You never know, could be all bucks, mixture, or all does, but all are good and productive, similar to any other animal.

Cattle are strange I guess :rolling:  :rolling:  :D

Edited by TAHOE, May 12, 2014 - 11:21 AM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#6 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 01:08 PM

I know nothing of goats, other than my 2 pygmy goats, which I never plan to breed either.  But in cows, if you have mixed sexed twins, often the female will be barren....missing a full reproductive tract, caused from the predominant male's chromosomes mixing, messing up the female's tract.  Is it this way in goats I wonder?

I didn't know this.  We haven't had a set of cow twins in years. 

#7 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Cross-breeding, kids in freezer right away??!!  Wow! Sounds like some weird horror movie.  I'm dumb to animals and breeding, so have no rights to say anything. Just wanted to be in this posting, ha!  Weirdos!  :smilewink:

• oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks

#8 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 05:03 PM

glgrumpy, you need to get out more often!

#9 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,233 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 06:00 PM

I love those little pygmy goats. I want 2 as pets. We took little girl to a petting zoo and they had baby pygmy goats. I carried one around scratching his neck and he fell asleep in my arms.

#10 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 03:19 PM

Genetics is a fascinating study, and certain characteristics vary from species to species, especially where multiple births are concerned. In goats and sheep in particular, mixed sex twins are fertile, generally speaking. The exception in goats is in the case of progeny of polled parents. If both the sire and dam are polled there is a chance that female kids will be hermaphrodites, looking like does externally, but having retained testicles within the body cavity. They act "bucky" and are pretty confused as to their role in life, to put it mildly. Not even freezer material really, because they smell like bucks once they reach maturity. I could go on and on with this topic, having raised stock for over 45 years, but no point in boring you all with my particular obsession, lol

• olcowhand, jpackard56 and TAHOE have said thanks

#11 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 03:48 PM

Send the little thing down here to clean up my field. We keep threatening to get one to clean the areas I can't mow.

• TAHOE said thank you

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 07:44 AM

I will pass on the pigmies, been there, done that, they were always causing trouble, give me the full size!

Thanks Mrs Deere, I didn't know about he polled breeding issues. We cut and burn at a couple weeks!

Willie, all ya when he's weaned and you can come get him haha.

I looked over the little guy, seems his right ear canal is grown shut, he must've layed in the same palce and not moved much inthe womb. That ear is noticeably smaller too.

Soooo...meet     "SQUIRT"

squirt2_zpsd60377bb.jpg

squirt1_zpsffdac882.jpg

squirt_zpsddc32b10.jpg