#1 ·
I came across this in the Southern Utah Craig's List today:

http://lasvegas.craigslist.org/grd/4453332653.html

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire
Wheel Tire Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Vehicle Wheel Motor vehicle Steering part Automobile pedal

It's in Lost Wages, NV--same place I picked up my little Broyhill grooming machine (which I now refer to as a lawn truck for simplicity's sake).

He has quite a bit of stuff with it, including the trailer.

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Gas Asphalt

Bicycle handlebar Bicycle fork Water Bicycle frame Tool
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle
Automotive tire Bumper Wood Asphalt Road surface

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Gas Cable Metal Wire Ethernet cable

I know the F-series Yanmars aren't near as well-supported for parts, but there appears to be a number of the machines in the country. The decal on the fender says "Power Shift" but the F16D is a standard gear transmission, if I understand correctly.

I've also heard that the engines don't have a sleeved cylinder--when the bore gets worn, you either install oversized pistons or throw the block away. This doesn't concern me a great deal if the engines in good shape now, as I probably won't put more than 500-600 hours on it before I'm too aged and decrepit to use it anymore.

The Bulldog Loader tells me that at least part of the machine came from Viet Nam/China--need to be careful of "refurbished" tractors.

I've sent an email to the seller for more information.

Your feedback is also appreciated, as always.

Smitty

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't know about the Yammar after the late 80s, but before that they were well built machines and good enough that JD merged or something with them to get into the SCUT market. The early, 1981-1989 650-750 JD's are Yammars with Deere sheet metal on them.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
here are parts

http://www.hoyetractor.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=HTE&Category_Code=F16

I don't think its a true F16d all the nes i looked at had a 3 speed shift pattern in the left fender this looks different plus the model number decal is in a different spot then most
Yeah, I saw a picture of the F16D and it had the 3 speed pattern you mentioned. Yanmar made an FX16D that was a power shift--which is what this shifter looks like...

Thanks for the link on parts at Hoye's. They have a decent amount of parts for it, particularly things like water pumps, gaskets, pistons, etc.

Smitty

#6 ·
Smitty, is that a machine that was purchased new here in North america or was it imported as a rebuilt Japanese tractor? I ask this because it looks like it has the "Rice Paddie" tires on it. You don't normally see those tires sold on equipment for the North American market.

I don't know about the Yammar after the late 80s, but before that they were well built machines and good enough that JD merged or something with them to get into the SCUT market. The early, 1981-1989 650-750 JD's are Yammars with Deere sheet metal on them.
The partnership continues. My 2008 JD2320 is built in Japan by Yanmar for JD. Yanmar is also the parent company for Kanzaki who makes the hydro transmissions for JD in GT's and compacts.

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Smitty, is that a machine that was purchased new here in North america or was it imported as a rebuilt Japanese tractor? I ask this because it looks like it has the "Rice Paddie" tires on it. You don't normally see those tires sold on equipment for the North American market.

The partnership continues. My 2008 JD2320 is built in Japan by Yanmar for JD. Yanmar is also the parent company for Kanzaki who makes the hydro transmissions for JD in GT's and compacts.
You're right, Brian. My neighbor has a 2006 JD790--essentially a green Yanmar.
The B7800 Kubota I took back was similar to the JD790,same hp, but the JD 790 had much beefier 3ph.

Smitty

#8 ·
I researched parts for the F16d last night. It has the same basic engine as the YM 1610--filters, gaskets, pistons, bearings are the same. Many other parts like dynamo, water pump, oil pump, axle components safe common with the 1610 and American-market machines. So, parts supply won't be as scarce as I thought.

Smitty

#10 ·
Not real familiar with the F Series Yanmar. I understand that the power shift transmition is a gear drive, but you can shift on the go without using the clutch. Those I have heard of who have it love it. I have never been on one but would think going from forward to reverse you would have to clutch? I would think the trailer and implements would add up to over half the asking price.

#11 ·
Have you contacted him to ask any questions yet? Only concern I see is after seeing all the others you've looked at, is this a lower value tractor ?priced right for its value? It does have a lot of extras, if it's in good shape , this might be the tractor you've been looking for! Tom

#12 ·
Not real familiar with the F Series Yanmar. I understand that the power shift transmition is a gear drive, but you can shift on the go without using the clutch. Those I have heard of who have it love it. I have never been on one but would think going from forward to reverse you would have to clutch? I would think the trailer and implements would add up to over half the asking price.
The F-seriess are grey market machines from the 80s and early 90s. They aren't as common as the YM-series GM machines.
My interest in this tractor is the open platform plus the compact size. The trailer is also a big interest, and of course the attachments. The loader is Chinese or Vietnamese, so it's probably a VN rebuild.
IF--the tractor doesn't have major issues, I'm very interested in it. It's also close--relatively speaking--about an 8 Hour drive each.way

Smitty

#13 ·
Have you contacted him to ask any questions yet? Only concern I see is after seeing all the others you've looked at, is this a lower value tractor ?priced right for its value? It does have a lot of extras, if it's in good shape , this might be the tractor you've been looking for! Tom
I've sent an email--no other contact info listed--still haven't heard back. It is a good value because of the trailer and implements.
Hopefully the owner will contact me.

Smitty

#15 ·
I have had 2 yanmars.....all were 3 digit models made for the USA market. I have a vague recollection that when the F series started coming over there was some concern because it had more electronics on it......may be way off base.....but that seemed to be the concern. Just might check to see if that is no longer a concern or issue.

I like my yanmar 187d and don't plan on ever selling it. Hope you find something that will work for you.

#16 ·
Any word ?
The owner emailed me this this morning. The tractor is still for sale. He said it runs fine and he hasn't had to put anything into it. He's away from home this week, so he couldn't answer all my questions--like how many hours and how long he's owned it- so I'm waiting to hear on that.

I'm fairly certain it's a Vietnamese Refurb. But, if he's owned it for several years with no problems, then it may be a safe bet.

The ad says it's an F16D, but it's actually the FX16D, which is the power shift model. The F series has models with two digits and with 3 digits. The 3 digit models had a lot of fancy electronics, including the lift control for the 3 ph, but no manuals in English--the link on Hoye Tractor says to avoid them.

I checked parts availability for the F16 at Hoye, and it isn't bad... things like the clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing, water pump starter, head gasket, etc. are readily available. The F16D uses many common parts with the YM1610--don't know if there's a US equivalent to the YM1610, but I feel pretty good about availability of parts.

Now if I can just get the hours , etc from the seller, and get down to Las Vegas to look at it!!

Smitty

#17 ·
I know a guy that imports tractors. He has been to Vietnam and looked over the re-manufacturers. Seems many are not very good but some do a very proffessional job. If the owner has had it for a while and has had not problems with it than your probably good to go.

Like you the open floor plan is very appealing I just hope it is big enough to accommodate you comfortably.

Best of luck to you on this one Smitty.

#18 ·
I know a guy that imports tractors. He has been to Vietnam and looked over the re-manufacturers. Seems many are not very good but some do a very proffessional job. If the owner has had it for a while and has had not problems with it than your probably good to go.

Like you the open floor plan is very appealing I just hope it is big enough to accommodate you comfortably.

Best of luck to you on this one Smitty.
Thanks, Chris.

One of the reasons I went to several dealers and drove numerous tractors over the past couple weeks is to get an idea of the size and series of machine that I can use comfortably. For example, I found that I fit pretty well on the Mahindra Max series (made by Mitsubishi), but not so much so on the e-Max (made by Dae Dong in Korea).

I drove a Kubota B7100 gear drive, and found it to be a little cramped. I also drove a Yanmar YM1610D-- a little larger than the Kubota, and with shuttle shift--problem is the shifter is in the middle of the operators platform--near the dash--also drove a JD790 and a JD 750 gear drive--I've found that it's hard for me to get into most gear shift transmissions because, aside from my 6'0"and 300 lbs, I wear size 12 shoes (have to get 'em at Newport News shipyard and remove the port and starboard running lights :D ) Anyway, it's hard to get me feet through the various levers, etc. Another reason to buy a hydrostat, or, as in this case, and tractor with an open platform and the shifter on the fender.

Smitty

Reactions: Cvans
#20 ·
Just purchased a Yanmar F15D a week ago. I've put 10 hours on it since then. The last time I drove a tractor was in the 70's. I'm 6', 260 lbs and wear size 13 shoes and manage to negotiate the pedals fine. This model is 85"s long, (short,) the F16D is 92"s, not sure what the extra 7"s are for. This thing has three speed ranges. Low is super slow and good for downhill excavating. (I have very sloping graded property.) setting 2 is where I do most of my work. You can scoot along pretty fast in high range. This thing has an aftermarket Front End Loader, (Buhl,) and does just what I expect it to do. When I got it, it had 1017 hours on it. It sets your idle speed with a lever and has a throttle pedal on the floor, (I find that a little tricky where it's located, but manage fine with it.) The floor throttle is the only issue with it. In range 2, where I do most of my work, I normally use reverse and 2nd to work in, they are opposite each other and for a non-hst tractor gives you maximum shifting speed. Sometimes it doesn't synchronize when shifting out of reverse so I put it back in reverse and nudge it, and shift back into the gear I wanted. Saves grinding the gears. Great tractor if you have relatively level ground, but a little dangerous otherwise. No seat belt and no ROP.

#21 ·
Just purchased a Yanmar F15D a week ago. I've put 10 hours on it since then. The last time I drove a tractor was in the 70's. I'm 6', 260 lbs and wear size 13 shoes and manage to negotiate the pedals fine. This model is 85"s long, (short,) the F16D is 92"s, not sure what the extra 7"s are for. This thing has three speed ranges. Low is super slow and good for downhill excavating. (I have very sloping graded property.) setting 2 is where I do most of my work. You can scoot along pretty fast in high range. This thing has an aftermarket Front End Loader, (Buhl,) and does just what I expect it to do. When I got it, it had 1017 hours on it. It sets your idle speed with a lever and has a throttle pedal on the floor, (I find that a little tricky where it's located, but manage fine with it.) The floor throttle is the only issue with it. In range 2, where I do most of my work, I normally use reverse and 2nd to work in, they are opposite each other and for a non-hst tractor gives you maximum shifting speed. Sometimes it doesn't synchronize when shifting out of reverse so I put it back in reverse and nudge it, and shift back into the gear I wanted. Saves grinding the gears. Great tractor if you have relatively level ground, but a little dangerous otherwise. No seat belt and no ROP.
Thanks for the info... the seller never did get back to me and didn't answer my emails.

I bought a Kubota B7100hst with FEL and backhoe, but the manual steering was a pain. I sold it last spring and bought a Mahindra Max 25hp with FEL. It's been a great tractor so far. My biggest gripe is the fuel tank is right in front of the dash and it's a pain to put fuel in without spilling it. A couple other minor issues is the protective overlay for decals on the dash and fender is starting to come off, and the turn signal lever is on the lower left side of the dash and the lever points down... I keep hitting it with my knee and turning on the LH signal.

This tractor came with the industrial type tires, which the dealer swore had better traction than ags (and which I knew to be complete BS)... I think the rears have the standard 6 hole bolt circle of most compact tractors, but the front wheels have a 5 lug pattern. Does anyone know of a wheel that will fit that so I can mount R-1s, or is it a dealer item only???

Reactions: Cvans
#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am looking at buying an EMAX 25 with loader and belly mower. Do you still have yours? if so, how do you like it after a year?
It's still going strong, and no additional complaints other than those I already mentioned above--except 1. You have to remove the right side panel from the engine compartment to check the oil. It isn't hard--it's steel and it just snaps into place, I just wish I could do it without that extra step.

I did put a set of ag wheels and tires on it--had to go to 4 different places for the best deal, but was able to do it for $700 incl freight... The industrial tires don't have near the grip the ags do, plus I got about 2" extra height out of it.

The rears are 9:50 x 16 and the fronts are 6x12s... The rear wheel pattern is the standard 6 on 6" spacing like the Bolens, most Kubotas, etc. The front is a 5 on 4.5 spacing--same spacing as the rears on most older GTs.

I don't have a belly mower so I can't address that, but my FEL works well. The metal is fairly thin, and makes you think it's not very sturdy, but it's rated at about 900 lbs lift force so it beats a lot of the other machines in it's class. One upgrade I did was to get a double beveled 6" x 3/4" cutting edge with standard Highway punch. The cutting edge on the bucket is hardened steel, but I was able to get through it using a carbide masonry drill and steady firm pressure. I then used standard plow bolts to mount the edge. I had to cut some off the edges to fit the bucket. I highly recommend you do this to save the expense of cutting out a worn out blade and rewelding a new one in. Since they're hardened, they have to be preheated or they'll crack...

Regards,

Smitty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.