Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

So, What Do You Think Of This Machine?

yanmar yanmar f16d grey market tractor fel bulldog loader bulldog front end loader rock rake box scraper f16d

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 10:13 PM

I came across this in the Southern Utah Craig's List today:

http://lasvegas.crai...4453332653.html

YANMAR F16D LH FRT.jpg YANMAR F16D LH RR.jpg

YANMAR F16D FRT.jpg YANMAR F16D RH.jpg

YANMAR F16D OP.jpg

It's in Lost Wages, NV--same place I picked up my little Broyhill grooming machine (which I now refer to as a lawn truck for simplicity's sake).

He has quite a bit of stuff with it, including the trailer. 

YANMAR F16D BOX SCRAPER.jpg

YANMAR F16D POSTHOLE DIGGER.jpg YANMAR F16D ROCK RAKE.jpg YANMAR F16D FORKS.jpg

YANMAR F16D 2 AXLE TRAILER.jpg

YANMAR F16D MANUALS & TOOLS.jpg

I know the F-series Yanmars aren't near as well-supported for parts, but there appears to be a number of the machines in the country. The decal on the fender says "Power Shift" but the F16D is a standard gear transmission, if I understand correctly.

I've also heard that the engines don't have a sleeved cylinder--when the bore gets worn, you either install oversized pistons or throw the block away.  This doesn't concern me a great deal if the engines in good shape now, as I probably won't put more than 500-600 hours on it before I'm too aged and decrepit to use it anymore.

The Bulldog Loader tells me that at least part of the machine came from Viet Nam/China--need to be careful of "refurbished" tractors.

I've sent an email to the seller for more information. 

Your feedback is also appreciated, as always.

Smitty

• sacsr, boyscout862, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 4 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,336 Thanks
  • 28,645 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 10:56 PM

Looks nice, but no mention of hours or running condition.
The post hole digger will be fun over a the neighbor's house. :smilewink:
Tell them it was a big gopher
  • Utah Smitty and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#3 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 11:10 PM

I don't know about the Yammar after the late 80s, but before that they were well built machines and good enough that JD merged or something with them to get into the SCUT market. The early, 1981-1989 650-750 JD's are Yammars with Deere sheet metal on them.

• Cvans and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#4 nbent OFFLINE  

nbent

customizer

• Member No: 8320
  • 628 Thanks
  • 520 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 11:14 PM

here are parts 

http://www.hoyetract...tegory_Code=F16

I don't think its a true F16d all the nes i looked at had a 3 speed shift pattern in the left fender this looks different plus the model number decal is in a different spot then most  

• Utah Smitty and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#5 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 11:26 PM

here are parts 

http://www.hoyetract...tegory_Code=F16

I don't think its a true F16d all the nes i looked at had a 3 speed shift pattern in the left fender this looks different plus the model number decal is in a different spot then most  

Yeah, I saw a picture of the F16D and it had the 3 speed pattern you mentioned.  Yanmar made an FX16D that was a power shift--which is what this shifter looks like...

Thanks for the link on parts at Hoye's.  They have a decent amount of parts for it, particularly things like water pumps, gaskets, pistons, etc. 

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, May 11, 2014 - 11:30 PM.

• holdenboy1960 said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 05:01 AM

Smitty, is that a machine that was purchased new here in North america or was it imported as a rebuilt Japanese tractor? I ask this because it looks like it has the "Rice Paddie" tires on it. You don't normally see those tires sold on equipment for the North American market. 

I don't know about the Yammar after the late 80s, but before that they were well built machines and good enough that JD merged or something with them to get into the SCUT market. The early, 1981-1989 650-750 JD's are Yammars with Deere sheet metal on them.

The partnership continues. My 2008 JD2320 is built in Japan by Yanmar for JD. Yanmar is also the parent company for Kanzaki who makes the hydro transmissions for JD in GT's and compacts.

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 06:18 AM

Smitty, is that a machine that was purchased new here in North america or was it imported as a rebuilt Japanese tractor? I ask this because it looks like it has the "Rice Paddie" tires on it. You don't normally see those tires sold on equipment for the North American market.

The partnership continues. My 2008 JD2320 is built in Japan by Yanmar for JD. Yanmar is also the parent company for Kanzaki who makes the hydro transmissions for JD in GT's and compacts.

You're right, Brian. My neighbor has a 2006 JD790--essentially a green Yanmar.
The B7800 Kubota I took back was similar to the JD790,same hp, but the JD 790 had much beefier 3ph.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, May 12, 2014 - 06:19 AM.

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 06:25 AM

I researched parts for the F16d last night. It has the same basic engine as the YM 1610--filters, gaskets, pistons, bearings are the same. Many other parts like dynamo, water pump, oil pump, axle components safe common with the 1610 and American-market machines. So, parts supply won't be as scarce as I thought.

Smitty

#9 SNUFFY OFFLINE  

SNUFFY
  • Member No: 47170
  • 184 Thanks
  • 267 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 07:04 AM

Looks like a lot of stuff to go with it....for a reasonable price.

Definitely got the rice tires.....good indicator of a rehab machine from rice country....not that it isn`t a good machine though ! If you have dirt and grass you`ll want to get rid of those.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 08:01 AM

Not real familiar with the F Series Yanmar. I understand that the power shift transmition is a gear drive, but you can shift on the go without using the clutch. Those I have heard of who have it love it.  I have never been on one but would think going from forward to reverse you would have to clutch?  I would think the trailer and implements would add up to over half the asking price.

#11 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 08:08 AM

Have you contacted him to ask any questions yet? Only concern I see is after seeing all the others you've looked at, is this a lower value tractor ?priced right for its value? It does have a lot of extras, if it's in good shape , this might be the tractor you've been looking for! Tom

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 09:45 AM

Not real familiar with the F Series Yanmar. I understand that the power shift transmition is a gear drive, but you can shift on the go without using the clutch. Those I have heard of who have it love it.  I have never been on one but would think going from forward to reverse you would have to clutch?  I would think the trailer and implements would add up to over half the asking price.

The F-seriess are grey market machines from the 80s and early 90s. They aren't as common as the YM-series GM machines.
My interest in this tractor is the open platform plus the compact size. The trailer is also a big interest, and of course the attachments. The loader is Chinese or Vietnamese, so it's probably a VN rebuild.
IF--the tractor doesn't have major issues, I'm very interested in it. It's also close--relatively speaking--about an 8 Hour drive each.way

Smitty

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 09:48 AM

Have you contacted him to ask any questions yet? Only concern I see is after seeing all the others you've looked at, is this a lower value tractor ?priced right for its value? It does have a lot of extras, if it's in good shape , this might be the tractor you've been looking for! Tom

I've sent an email--no other contact info listed--still haven't heard back. It is a good value because of the trailer and implements.
Hopefully the owner will contact me.

Smitty
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#14 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,807 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:34 PM

Any word ?

#15 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:55 PM

I have had 2 yanmars.....all were 3 digit models made for the USA market. I have a vague recollection that when the F series started coming over there was some concern because it had more electronics on it......may be way off base.....but that seemed to be the concern. Just might check to see if that is no longer a concern or issue.

I like my yanmar 187d and don't plan on ever selling it.  Hope you find something that will work for you.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: yanmar, yanmar f16d, grey market tractor, fel, bulldog loader, bulldog front end loader, rock rake, box scraper, f16d