30 replies to this topic

#16 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 05:42 AM

Welcome to GTT

looks like an old 960 to me, I have a '74 Columbia, same tractor with a differant grill, same deck, same dash, differant rear fenders tho so it might be newer than mine, and you have some brackets holding a steel bar on the back end that isnt familiar to me.

few pics of mine here....

https://www.dropbox....bCA1ktaODjlbkXa

• Gryphon said thank you

#17 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 06:18 AM

:welcometogttalk:

• Gryphon said thank you

#18 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • Member No: 57105
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 08:55 PM

I agree with Jim that it is a 950-060 with 12" rear tires and a manual trans-axle.

yes rear tires are 23x8.5x12 fronts are 16x6.5x8nhs (not sure what that mean)

Welcome to GTT. That is a nice tractor. The last picture looks like the big welch plug is missing from the carb. That must be plugged before any cleanning. It also means that junk probably got into the engine. You may need to rebuild that engine evenually. You should rebuild the carb before even trying to start it.  You can download some engine manuals from our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

I am somewhat leaning towards a complete tear down and rebuild. As soon as i find out which engine it is. All i found today was the number on the starter generator Delco-remy 1101992  7k18 12volt.

Now i guess two things that are throwing me off from a visual ID are the muffler doesnt seem to coincide with the pictures of 16hp engines, and the one manual i DL'ed in which the physical description and image match the front wheels have 3lugs while mine have no lugs at all. Though I suppose it is possible that some previous owner swapped the front for something else.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#19 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 09:16 PM

WELCOME! It does look like an MTD built GT.

• Gryphon said thank you

#20 Lance Skene OFFLINE  

Lance Skene
  • Member No: 50665
  • 487 Thanks
  • 337 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 09:20 PM

Should be an engine tag on the front tin... behind the grill... 3 lug wheels are pre '76ish I believe.
  • Gryphon said thank you

#21 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 09:59 PM

Now i guess two things that are throwing me off from a visual ID are the muffler doesnt seem to coincide with the pictures of 16hp engines, and the one manual i DL'ed in which the physical description and image match the front wheels have 3lugs while mine have no lugs at all. Though I suppose it is possible that some previous owner swapped the front for something else.

I don't think the muffler is original. Again, not a Briggs guru but I don't think even the lower HP engines used that style stock.

Should be an engine tag on the front tin... behind the grill... 3 lug wheels are pre '76ish I believe.

The wheels might have switched from bolt on to one piece in '75 which would explain those wheels and the scissors deck together.

• Texas Deere and Horse and Gryphon have said thanks

#22 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:44 PM

The front tin and engine have been painted over atleast 3times that I can currently tell. So what i am thinking I am going to do is, start a complete teardown, from the front back, as soon as I have some more room in garage and on work bench.

#23 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:42 AM

The 960 came standard with the 3PT, this tractor has the sleeve hitch lifts on it. I can't quite see the pto idler to tell if it's a 860, and the clutch arrangement isn't of a 760. So my guess would be a 660- 10HP or 860 - 14HP.

• Gryphon said thank you

#24 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 07:18 PM

The 960 came standard with the 3PT, this tractor has the sleeve hitch lifts on it. I can't quite see the pto idler to tell if it's a 860, and the clutch arrangement isn't of a 760. So my guess would be a 660- 10HP or 860 - 14HP.

Ok so what exactly would i be looking for on the pto idler to differentiate between the 660 & 860? Or something someone needs a clearer picture of? OH before i forget what type and or style of carburator is on this? If someone would be so kind as to tell me.

#25 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 04:26 PM

The 14 HP big block has a higher threaded boss for the idler to bolt to than the other big blocks, Your best bet is to get the Briggs numbers off of the shroud ,they are stamped in .It's also the best way to tell what year the tractor is with out tearing it apart.

After having so many of these tractors apart , you can narrow down to the half year when they were built. For instance ,the first part of 74' and older the brake pedal had the sticker on the pedal that says " BRAKE" , from 741/2' it was molded in the rubber pad, and there are dozens of other examples

I see the original color was that ugly green , my guess would put the year at 72'

• Gryphon said thank you

#26 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 15, 2014 - 07:33 PM

The 14 HP big block has a higher threaded boss for the idler to bolt to than the other big blocks, Your best bet is to get the Briggs numbers off of the shroud ,they are stamped in .It's also the best way to tell what year the tractor is with out tearing it apart.

After having so many of these tractors apart , you can narrow down to the half year when they were built. For instance ,the first part of 74' and older the brake pedal had the sticker on the pedal that says " BRAKE" , from 741/2' it was molded in the rubber pad, and there are dozens of other examples

I see the original color was that ugly green , my guess would put the year at 72'

Ok so I found the numbers now what do to with them. Put them in via briggs and gave me a multiple match message asking for model numbers. And this one has no "brake" pedal, just what I am assuming is a clutch/brake on the left hand side. I know I am really tossing out ALOT of questions. Usually i have no problems finding the information on want without guidance but for whatever reason in this instance i am lost. I really do appreciate all the input all have offered so far.

#27 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 16, 2014 - 07:33 PM

Ok I have SUCCEEDED in finding a model number and a number on the briggs engine. So it is a 148-760 with the briggs 10hp. And the year(s) it was produced are/is ???? I am confused by the briggs number and how to age the engine with it, I am working on it just taking me abit.

Another SUCCESS MOMENT if I have deciphered the B&S number the engine atleast is a 68? Does this sound correct?

Edited by Gryphon, May 16, 2014 - 07:50 PM.

#28 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 07:38 AM

Model number 148-760

1st two digits=product type   14=garden tractor

3rd digit is the model year   8=1968 or 1978

4th-6th digits are the tractor model

The MTD site is showing there was a 760 available in '68 and '78 but the '78 was 11hp

So your engine agrees with the model number sticker.

Edited by Canawler, May 18, 2014 - 07:39 AM.

• MH81, KennyP, HALFSCALE and 1 other said thanks

#29 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 09:10 AM

Model number 148-760

1st two digits=product type   14=garden tractor

3rd digit is the model year   8=1968 or 1978

4th-6th digits are the tractor model

The MTD site is showing there was a 760 available in '68 and '78 but the '78 was 11hp

So your engine agrees with the model number sticker.

Pretty cool, Yeah the other night i went out to the garage and looked at the tractor and was like whats that? I noticed the painted over sticker on the rear just under the seat. Wasnt sure i could get it cleaned off and still be able to read it, and It won't survive another painting, but I succeeded. Thanks for all the help. Will probably start another thread on my rebuild of it.

#30 HALFSCALE ONLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted May 18, 2014 - 09:48 AM

Thanks Jim, I been busy and haven't had time to respond.

If you get the code off of your Briggs ,it will tell you for sure what year you have , but the single pedal was used up to 72 on everything but the 16 HP, in 73 some time the other gear drives went to the two pedals. Since you have the later style clutch and not the goofy cast style, it probably puts yours at a late 68.

Look forward to see you restore it!