30 replies to this topic

#1 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • Member No: 57105
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Greetings,

Firstly my apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Secondly I have just recently come across what i believe to be an older MTD GT. I was at first going to simply get it running and sell it or take it to the scrap yard, as this thing weighs a frakin ton. But in my search to identify and possibly find parts for it, I have decided to fix it up and keep it. But in order to find parts if I need them I need to know what it is. I have looked and have found no numbers, number plates or anything. Not even on the engine block.

Thirdly what I do know. It weighs alot is all heavy metal, even the mower deck is a heavy metal. Needs atleast front tires. Been sitting for an indeterminate amount of years since last run. Was parked do to steering colum coming undone or breaking, havent dug into it far enough yet to know exactly. It was adorned with Honda stickers by a previous owner. Got it for the cost of gas to haul it home, and the brute force it took to move it,LOL.

So I am attaching some pictures of it, and asking for any help to find out something about this. So i can bring this beast back to life. DSCF2693.JPG DSCF2695.JPG DSCF2696.JPG DSCF2697.JPG DSCF2698.JPG DSCF2700.JPG DSCF2701.JPG DSCF2702.JPG DSCF2703.JPG DSCF2704.JPG

• MH81, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 3 others have said thanks

#2 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 08:10 PM

Welcome! I agree it is a older MTD.

imagesCABT689B.jpg

• Gryphon said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 08:11 PM

Hi, new guy! Is that name "Griff-en" then?  Looks like nice heavy rig. I have 990 model that is hydro and older, but is very similar. Looks like yours has manual trans?  You have same dash, hood and grill. That is Briggs engine, do you know how big? Mine is 16, but thinking you may have some smaller, but not by much. There are smaller series say in 800 line and maybe others that are manuals and smaller HPs. You SURE don't wanna junk it!  These ARE tough tractors. You also have the little newer three-pnto  or whatever the lift is called on rear with that upper rockshaft to lift. The rest of that is missing, unless you have it?  I see you have manual deck lift. Can't tell from Pix if you have the "Quick-attach" deck? That is one that has some flip up clips on it's back mount to rock up and whole deck slides forward and off the hanger hardware under tractor, which all stays on?  Some are belt driven decks and others shaft, but think shaft is for bigger unit again. Well, not alot of help here on model, just my observations. Some more informed fellas should come along and fill in and guide you to places to look. The serials and model tags are usually on the very botom of dash where it meets the metal chassis, or maybe just under seat areas. But, if it has been painted and such, probly got painted over or removed. Look for stampings in the shroud of engine, not a tag along the top or one one flat side. Might take some cleaning to see that.

• Gryphon said thank you

#4 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 08:19 PM

Yes Griff-en just a different spelling. The deck is shaft driven, i believe, and  appears to be bolted to the lifting mechanism which doesn't seem to be working at the moment. Though I just picked it up saturday and been so busy haven't been able to dive into it. Had to repair my John deere and some other stuff. The individual i got it from was say it was a 24hp engine, I for some reason doubt it. He also said something about it being a Kohler which i also doubt. And I am hoping some of the gurus here can chime in and help a newbie out. Because I am wondering what other parts if any are missing

Edited by Gryphon, May 11, 2014 - 08:21 PM.

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 08:32 PM

Sure not a 24 and IS a Briggs. There was an add for a 10hp tractor listed in link just below here by VTX. it was in Michigan, wondering if same tractor then? Shows ad deleted now. VTX is the Guru on these rigs, hope he will step in here. To be a 24 hp would have to be a twin like many modern tractors have, but this isn't that. I looked pix over more and I think You DO have quick-disconnect deck, but could be wrong. I see the twin belt drive for the pto and lever on right of dash to engage, same as mine. Was wondering if this is a two-stage rear end? Is there another lever anywhere to give ranges?  That is quite a plush seat on there, and looks quite a ways back in the rear pix. That is not orig style and looks like it may hit fenders on sides when you sit on it? Orig seats have extra plate to mount under it and keep above fenders more. That many times gets taken off with seat and may be gone? Think I would power wash or at least good strong hose first, then spray PB Blaster or other oils on all the joints and links and let set awhile. That lift has a crosshaft that goes thru the frame on both sides and many times those places rust up and stick or get  hard to work. Penetrant/oil and working it, might free up. See what you can spray on underneath too.

• Gryphon said thank you

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 08:46 PM

Welcome to GTtalk Grphon.  The engine for sure looks like a Brigg's.  Most Brigg's engines will have the model no, type and S/N stamped on either one of the tin's or a metal plate by the carburetor.  I'm thinking yours will be stamped on one of the engine Tin's, but sometimes they are hard to find through the dirt and grim.  When you have time if you will take a rag and light and look carefully you will find the Engine model.

• Gryphon said thank you

#7 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 08:52 PM

Sure not a 24 and IS a Briggs. There was an add for a 10hp tractor listed in link just below here by VTX. it was in Michigan, wondering if same tractor then? Shows ad deleted now. VTX is the Guru on these rigs, hope he will step in here. To be a 24 hp would have to be a twin like many modern tractors have, but this isn't that. I looked pix over more and I think You DO have quick-disconnect deck, but could be wrong. I see the twin belt drive for the pto and lever on right of dash to engage, same as mine. Was wondering if this is a two-stage rear end? Is there another lever anywhere to give ranges?  That is quite a plush seat on there, and looks quite a ways back in the rear pix. That is not orig style and looks like it may hit fenders on sides when you sit on it? Orig seats have extra plate to mount under it and keep above fenders more. That many times gets taken off with seat and may be gone? Think I would power wash or at least good strong hose first, then spray PB Blaster or other oils on all the joints and links and let set awhile. That lift has a crosshaft that goes thru the frame on both sides and many times those places rust up and stick or get  hard to work. Penetrant/oil and working it, might free up. See what you can spray on underneath too.

No not the same one, I saw that post and was like hoping still had it because thats not too far from me. Got this from my brothersin-laws. They have another "broken" GT sitting still waiting to hear if its clear for the taking :dancingbanana: . My dad said the same thing, powerwash it down, spray the nuts and bolts and joints, then see if she turns over before digging to far into it.

#8 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 08:56 PM

Welcome to GTtalk Grphon.  The engine for sure looks like a Brigg's.  Most Brigg's engines will have the model no, type and S/N stamped on either one of the tin's or a metal plate by the carburetor.  I'm thinking yours will be stamped on one of the engine Tin's, but sometimes they are hard to find through the dirt and grim.  When you have time if you will take a rag and light and look carefully you will find the Engine model.

Will do. Supposed to rain the next few days here so garage time is coming my way. We really need a mad scientist or mad mechanic smiley face LOL

Edited by Gryphon, May 11, 2014 - 08:56 PM.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,304 Thanks
  • 28,628 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 09:02 PM

:thumbs:
Nice MTD, look for that engine model stamp, and I'm sure the guys can tell you something.

#10 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 09:13 PM

Welcome to the forum.

You have an MTD 960/860/760 depending on the engine hp. I'm not a Briggs guru but it looks like the 16hp which would make it a model 960. It's pre-'76 because it appears to have the scissors deck mount. There should be a manual for it in the "manuals" area, if not they're a free download on MTD's manuals site.
  • Texas Deere and Horse and Gryphon have said thanks

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 09:57 PM

I agree with Jim that it is a 950-060 with 12" rear tires and a manual trans-axle.

• rustyoldjunk and Gryphon have said thanks

#12 Gryphon OFFLINE  

Gryphon
  • 12 Thanks
  • 21 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Downloaded a few of the 960 manuals and it is most likely one of those. I will get some numbers of the engine soon hopefully and determine the HP. thanks for all the info so far. I am hungry for more and i will keep you all posted on my progress with this.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#13 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 10:25 PM

Welcome to the forum!  That old MTD will serve you will no matter what you do to it.  Its a shame MTD dropped making quality and started producing junk.

Ben W.

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 03:56 AM

Welcome to GTT. That is a nice tractor. The last picture looks like the big welch plug is missing from the carb. That must be plugged before any cleanning. It also means that junk probably got into the engine. You may need to rebuild that engine evenually. You should rebuild the carb before even trying to start it.  You can download some engine manuals from our Manuals Section. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, May 12, 2014 - 04:01 AM.

• Gryphon said thank you

#15 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 05:17 AM

Welcome! Looks like an MTD 960 to me. A nice solid GT and worth some effort to get running again. That's a nice score for gas money!

• Gryphon said thank you