8 replies to this topic

#1 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 06:39 PM

Well I need some help guys,  I need a part.  My housing around my free wheeling pin has bit the dust.  It had been welded years ago before I got my 1963 bolens 900.  As I was tilling the garden this year my mower died what I thought was a permanent death engine wise.  Here is the story.  Last year I took my mower to the Portland Indiana show. I drove around on it to show it off a little, well maybe a lot lol.  Brought it home parked it most of the winter.  started it a couple time mid winter, no problems.  Got on it couple weeks ago and hooked up the tiller.  No problems,  except low battery, had to jump start it.  I tilled the garden for about 1hr.  Sort of got stuck and killed the engine.  the mower would not start so I went and got the truck.  Jump started the mower, walked around the truck to unhook cables and heard the most awful sound you would want to here. A loud squeal of death.  I ran over to the mower which was not running anymore.  It would not start.  in fact it would not turn over.  tight as a drum.  So I go get the 4 wheeler and a tow strap.  NOW you know where I am going.  I check the engine oil and guess what?  NO  oil on the dip stick.  No leaks in the garage all winter.  I can only assume I burnt it out the muffler when I  was at Portland.  Any how now that I am totally depressed, I hook up to the mower and pull it to the garage without pulling the free wheeling pin.  So not thinking anything about the pin, more worried about the motor, I get a wrench out and hook on the front of the engine and hand crank it about 6 revolutions.  This I think has to be good.  I had added oil to the motor before hand cranking it.  I tried to start it but no luck  The starter pulley just spun around the belt.  So 4 weeks later I go out today to push the mower into the shop, take off the tiller, and find a chunk of metal under the mower from the free wheeling housing.  As I pull the pin out 3 more pieces fell to the ground.  Now for the blessing from God. I tried to turn the engine by hand and the belt seem to pull easier.  I pushed the starter button and she cranked over.  I flipped the toggle switch on and pushed again and she fired right up and ran as good as she ever had.  Yea!!!!!  Called my dad, called my neighbor, called my wife.  I'm all smiles.     Now I need your help locating a free wheeling housing part to fix the rear end.  Is this a simple part to replace?  does anyone have a direction  to send me for finding one?  Any help appreciated and I am sorry for the long story.

• MyBolens1053 and propane1 have said thanks

#2 Husky OFFLINE  

Husky

• Contributor
  • Member No: 63
  • 923 Thanks
  • 892 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 07:04 PM

Ebay may be your best bet. The turn up from time to time. I would type in Bolens tractor parts and just scroll through them to see if you can find the hub.

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#3 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 07:16 PM

Check with Bob and Rick.  They are both Site Sponsors. One of them will most likely have that part.

http://gardentractor...arden-tractors/

http://gardentractor...-tractor-parts/

If I'm not mistaken, there were two different sizes, so you will want to make sure to get the right one.

Once you get it, you can download the Tube Frame Service Manual in our downloads section.

• redcarkids and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,763 Thanks
  • 7,532 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 07:16 PM

Check with our sponsors too. Good Luck, Rick

• MyBolens1053 said thank you

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,106 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 07:30 PM

Great story. Sorry for your troubles though. I have days like that too. Noel
  • redcarkids and MyBolens1053 have said thanks

#6 MyBolens1053 OFFLINE  

MyBolens1053
  • Member No: 50025
  • 634 Thanks
  • 566 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 10:14 PM

Your story turned out better than I thought. Happy for you on that engine.

Just remember to check it before each run. I can vouch that you can lose oil overnight or within hours. That little drain tube at the bottom of the engine block cracked on mine. The next day I fired it up and within a minute the piston rod froze to the crank and the rest is history.

• redcarkids said thank you

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 10:52 PM

Hope you find the part, glad the engine stayed together.
  • redcarkids said thank you

#8 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 06:49 PM

Well I went to a another sight and someone suggested using a hose clamp around the axle and pin to hold it in place.  That's if there is enough housing to help support the pin.  I tried this this morning and it worked.  I was able to drive the tractor around the driveway and through the yard with no problems.  Another person on that sight suggested using a u bolt or muffler clamp.  He had photos of it and I believe that would be a better fix.  I will run the clamp for a while and see if it holds up. I had no luck on ebay finding a housing.  There was a guy parting out a 900 so I sent him a message to see if he had the part.  Will keep you informed.

#9 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 06:52 PM

Check with our sponsors too. Good Luck, Rick

Got a e-mail out to one right now.  Portland swap meet coming up in the next couple day will keep my eye out for one there.