Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Will-Burt Little Farmer - $500 (Fisher, Wv)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 988 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 05:44 PM

• DH1, sacsr and LilysDad have said thanks

#2 LilysDad OFFLINE  

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,230 Thanks
  • 7,462 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 05:55 PM

Every time I think I've seen it all . . .

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 06:02 PM

Every time I think I've seen it all . . .

You and I both.

C.H. Wendel says that it was made in the early 50's and cost $100 new. 

Here's some info on the Will-Burt company:

The Will-Burt Co. is gearing up for a major celebration of its history in conjunction with the Orrville Historical Society. The company is being recognized by the society for its contributions to the community over the past 88 years with a special exhibition that will run throughout May. The exhibit is part of the society's "Orrville's Earliest Industries" series that annually focuses on businesses that have been a part of the community for many years. Will-Burt Chief Executive Officer Jeffrey Evans said on May 5 the company will play host to a gathering for 300 employees, retirees and invited guests in a tent outside the Orrville Historical Museum. There will be light hors d'oeuvres, speakers from Will-Burt and the historical society, and then a preview of the company's exhibit titled "Through the Years." According to Andrea Russell, marketing manager, the exhibit will be composed of products the company has produced over the decades, as well as photographs taken over generations of its employees and newspaper articles detailing the growth of the company. Among the items on display will be a 500-pound general purpose bomb used by the Allied Forces on Germany and Japan in World War II, for which Will-Burt manufactured the base plug. Evans who describes himself as member of a "fourth-generation Will-Burt family" said making the bomb component launched the company into the arena of contract manufacturing that continues to this day in the company's association with Caterpillar, Diebold and Ingersoll-Rand. Among the various products on exhibit will be the "Little Farmer" cultivator, the Versa-Vise that Will-Burt started making in 1916, and items related to the production and marketing of its coal stokers, which continue to enjoy widespread use today. "Today we make a lot more replacement and service parts than new units," Evans said, "but there are still a lot of (Stoker) units out there." One eye-catching exhibit is a miniature model of the Will-Burt shop floor as it appeared on March 11, 1929. Built by employee Dow Line of Orrville, the detailed metal model is part of the permanent collection of the society. Rod Webner, a 40-year employee of Will-Burt and former product manager before his retirement, brought to the exhibit a variety of souvenir and commemorative items produced by and for the company, with a variety of evolving logos. "It's what my wife allows me to keep," Webner said with a wink. "In addition to pens and pencils, rulers and various small tools, Webner shows off a watch the company made for its 75th anniversary, as well as his "75-year bag." He said for Will-Burt's 75th anniversary all the employees were given a cloth bag containing 75 gold Susan B. Anthony dollars. Webner also displays various sizes of "Tuyeres," a cast iron part of its coal stoker used for air flow passage which, he said, throws everybody in terms of its pronunciation. He noted it's particularly fun to have somebody on the telephone trying to place an order for the parts, and being unable to twist his tongue around how to say it. Russell, who noted this year marks Will-Burt's 20th anniversary as an employee-owned company as well as the 25th anniversary of producing its internationally marketed lighting masts, showed off an 8-foot tall metal model made by the Tri-Com Co. of an expandable mast. She said, "Out of this model came the technology for the masts the company makes today." Also on display is a model of the company's fluidized-bed coal stoker system. Evans, whose grandfather was a machinist for the company, whose grandmother was a receptionist and whose mother was a secretary in the sales department, said among those invited to speak at the May 5 reception will be former Will-Burt CEO Harry Featherstone and Mrs. Bill Baer, wife of the company's longtime president. Evans said, "It's been fun watching the enthusiasm for our history take hold across the company" as employees have scrounged in forgotten corners and recesses to come up with items relating to Will-Burt's history. "I feel a real sense of pride in our history," Evans said. "It's been a great local company to be around and see thriving after 88 years." Russell said the company is "really honored that the historical society invited Will-Burt to do this exhibit. It's a great privilege for us. What an exciting time." John Smucker, president of the Orrville Historical Society, said the Will-Burt exhibit is so impressive the organization has decided to leave it in place throughout the month. In the past the special exhibits have been in place only for a weekend. The exhibit will be open to the public on May 6 and 7 from 1-4 p.m. It will then be open on the three other Saturdays during the month from 2-4 p.m. Georgene Lytle, who coordinates the special exhibitions, calls the Will-Burt display "one of the best special exhibits that have ever been done here." In the past the society has saluted the Schantz Organ Co., J.M. Smucker Co. and the Smith Dairy Products Co.

Ben W.

• DougT and A.C.T. have said thanks

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,119 Thanks
  • 5,668 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 06:39 AM

Cool, although it seems a little pricey in my opinion.

#5 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,423 Thanks
  • 2,785 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 04:44 PM

that's a pretty outrageous price .......