• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 trashdad OFFLINE  

trashdad
  • Member No: 57100
  • 2 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 04:53 PM

I just fouond an old Power Ho with a cultivator and plow attachment in an estate cleanout.  Any suggestions on what I should do to see if it runs.  It does have compression but I didn't want to fuel it up until I found out if there are any precautions I should take.  Thanks for any help, Trashdad

#2 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 05:20 PM

I just fouond an old Power Ho with a cultivator and plow attachment in an estate cleanout.  Any suggestions on what I should do to see if it runs.  It does have compression but I didn't want to fuel it up until I found out if there are any precautions I should take.  Thanks for any help, Trashdad

I have been where you are with that Power Ho. My recommendation would be to drain the oil, and refill before trying to start the engine. Then check to find out if you have spark. On the Briggs & Stratton 8R6 that you should have on a Power Ho, there are points under the flywheel. If it has been sitting, the points may be corroded, but they are easy to replace.

Before trying to move it under power, make sure to thoroughly lubricate the drive chains to the wheels. I failed to do that on one of mine and a seized link caused one drive chain to self destruct.

Check the manuals section for more information on the Power Ho's. You can download up to three manuals per day, more per day if you become a site supporter.

• boyscout862, Nato77, superaben and 1 other said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,751 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Welcome to GTT. Relax and enjoy the site. Good Luck, Rick

• trashdad said thank you

#4 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 08:57 PM

Welcome to GTtalk!  Like LPBolens said drain the oil and refill, but also make sure you have oil in the gearbox on the engine.  You should post some pics of it. We always like pics!

• LPBolens and trashdad have said thanks