• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Jlaws OFFLINE  

Jlaws
  • Member No: 31172
  • 542 Thanks
  • 365 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 04:28 PM

You had me wondering about the engine  , so I walked over and he said I could take some pics.

Its still not finished , its about 95% , still needs some moulding put back on and decals .

I know it was a frame up , and he has the original rims that need re-plated (chromes flaking).

I believe he has an aftermarket intake and holly carb on it , but he kept the originals for its next owner .

Attached Thumbnails

• Little Red Express 001.JPG
  • Little Red Express 002.JPG
  • Little Red Express 003.JPG
  • Little Red Express 005.JPG

Edited by Jlaws, May 11, 2014 - 04:38 PM.

• sacsr, boyscout862, Nato77 and 1 other said thanks

#17 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 04:49 PM

Chevy had a "Heavy Half" at the same time. The manufacturers were trying to attract people that normally drove cars. At that time there was alot of emissions crap added to engines which created headaches. I prefer before 1972 or 1982 to 1985. Good Luck, Rick

• VintageIronCollector said thank you

#18 HANKG ONLINE  

HANKG
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,863 Thanks
  • 2,788 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 06:59 PM

I drool over late 40s, early 50s Power Wagons. Absolutely indestructible!
[/quote I AGREE, USED EXTENSIVLY BY THE FOREST FIRE SERVICE HERE IN NEW JERSEY

#19 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 08:10 PM

These trucks have some get up and go in them due to their 360 High Output.

The Worlock was standard with slant 6 and could be ordered with any 1/2 ton optional engine including the 440. the 318 was the most popular engine in them. 

Only the Li'l Red Express had the high output 360, which was the police package engine and had dual exhausts. Both were very cool trucks!

The biggest problem is rust.

Edited by toppop52, May 11, 2014 - 08:14 PM.

• boyscout862 and VintageIronCollector have said thanks

#20 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 08:38 PM

The Lil Red has been one of my favorites. Neighbor has one hoping someday....................but he has 2 sons that are car guys. I owned a 78 Dodge Super Coupe with the 360. Very fast for a late 70's car.

#21 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,264 Thanks
  • 1,767 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 09:07 PM

The biggest problem is rust.

The Lil Red Express that I'm looking at has the worst rust spot approximately a quarter in size on the front right quarter panel. that's the worst spot from what I can see.

#22 toppop52 OFFLINE  

toppop52
  • Member No: 54420
  • 3,447 Thanks
  • 3,356 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 09:55 PM

Be sure to check the frame and body mounts, rust was the one thing that took most of them out of circulation, all the mechanical stuff is replaceable. One more note, the side stacks were not a Worlock original either, only the Express. I almost ordered a '78 Ram Charger 4x4 with 440, 3.91 gears and Torqeflite. But for some stupid reason you couldn't get 440 with posi and 3.91 gears, if you wanted posi you had to settle for 3.55 or 3.23. I was off roading then and I could have installed lockers but it just pissed me off and I bought a 3/4 ton 454 GMC Suburban with 4.10 gears.
  • Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#23 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Nato77

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 11:05 PM

The Lil Red Express that I'm looking at has the worst rust spot approximately a quarter in size on the front right quarter panel. that's the worst spot from what I can see.

If the spot is by the door and not towards the wheel opening you may have to get the support on the back side of the fender patched up. If the carpet is out of it look along the floor on the inside where the weatherstripping is mounted, real common place for rust holes that you can't normally see. Also check out the radiator support down by the body mounts. Seen a few trucks that were rust free except for the rad. support.
Its doesn't look to be in to bad of shape. You say he still has the original rims for it? With the center caps?

#24 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,264 Thanks
  • 1,767 posts

Posted May 12, 2014 - 03:09 PM

You say he still has the original rims for it? With the center caps?

Yep and a spare set.

#25 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 10:37 AM

The Warlock in the pic is a clone. They were made in the 70s not the 80s like that one.

Plus the Warlocks didn't say "Warlock Express Truck" on door. :smilewink:

At that time there was alot of emissions crap added to engines which created headaches.

Emission equipment was basically the reason for the Lil Red Express, or at least why it was a truck and not a car.  Cars were loaded with everything but trucks weren't yet.  Plus some mods could be made to the engines without having them re-certified.  The '78 had no catalytic converters but unfortunately the emissions regs changed for '79 and those had cats.

I owned a 78 Dodge Super Coupe with the 360. Very fast for a late 70's car.

Cool, I've always like the Super Coupe look.  It wasn't one of the more rare "kit cars" was it?

If the spot is by the door and not towards the wheel opening you may have to get the support on the back side of the fender patched up. If the carpet is out of it look along the floor on the inside where the weatherstripping is mounted, real common place for rust holes that you can't normally see. Also check out the radiator support down by the body mounts. Seen a few trucks that were rust free except for the rad. support.
Its doesn't look to be in to bad of shape. You say he still has the original rims for it? With the center caps?

Another bad spot for rust is the rear cab corners.  My '78 W150 was totally rusted out underneath the corner but showed nothing from the outside.

I have a friend with a '78 LRE so I've gotten to play with his over the years.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen him in a while and due to the OP's location, plus the fact that a mutual friend has a '72 RR, I'm wondering if the '78 mentioned is my buddy's?

To VintageIronCollector:  If you end up with this truck let me know.  I purchased a good bit of govt. surplus Dodge truck stuff for my '78 and might be able to help you out if you need anything.  Plus I'm very curious who it belongs too.

• Texas Deere and Horse, Nato77 and A.C.T. have said thanks

#26 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 01:37 PM

That would be about the only Dodge truck I would ever own, those were so cool when I was a kid. 

#27 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • 1,264 Thanks
  • 1,767 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 03:53 PM

Plus the Warlocks didn't say "Warlock Express Truck" on door. :smilewink:

Emission equipment was basically the reason for the Lil Red Express, or at least why it was a truck and not a car.  Cars were loaded with everything but trucks weren't yet.  Plus some mods could be made to the engines without having them re-certified.  The '78 had no catalytic converters but unfortunately the emissions regs changed for '79 and those had cats.

Cool, I've always like the Super Coupe look.  It wasn't one of the more rare "kit cars" was it?

Another bad spot for rust is the rear cab corners.  My '78 W150 was totally rusted out underneath the corner but showed nothing from the outside.

I have a friend with a '78 LRE so I've gotten to play with his over the years.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen him in a while and due to the OP's location, plus the fact that a mutual friend has a '72 RR, I'm wondering if the '78 mentioned is my buddy's?

To VintageIronCollector:  If you end up with this truck let me know.  I purchased a good bit of govt. surplus Dodge truck stuff for my '78 and might be able to help you out if you need anything.  Plus I'm very curious who it belongs too.

I will PM you some info. Don't want to blast your buddy's info all over the web.

#28 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted May 19, 2014 - 11:48 AM

Just saw one in the ohio Auto-Rv mag....

little high $$$ for me.

http://www.autorv.co...AdName=1-290633