#76 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 04:47 PM

Sounds like you made a little progress on the Big Dipper today,good.

#77 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 08:48 AM

Dipper is finished, but milk parlor troubles have taken away my day off today. My last milk vacuum pump which was fine last night will not work this morning. Strange electrical problem that is not allowing full power to the motors. It is burning out the capacitors on the motors. I have the other one running direct from our farm pto generator & hope it gets this morning's milking finished, but who knows. Eelectrical problems will drive you nuts with "ghosts" running rampant. You can get full voltage, but still not get full power, so I figure that's what's going on. Gonna go feed silage and hope for the best on getting the milking done. I sure hope Tommy, my supply guy is a snap finding ghosts in wiring!

#78 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 09:31 AM

Don't you hate it when it is just one thing after another.

#79 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 09:54 AM

I believe we just had a strange freak thing of both magnetic contactors going bad at the same time. The main pump going bad was the motor itself. But to get the milking done this mornign, I figured it best to bypass all the parlor electrical and just run it direct off the pto generator. ALL the other 220V items are running perfectly, like the twin 5hp cooling compressors, so I don't think it's the main wiring coming into the parlor, or the main panel. Tommy will be here in an hour to save the day, or what will be left of it. He will be replacing the main vacuum pump, and we've already put a new magnetic contactor on it's line, so we should be good to go with the new outfit, but I'll have Tommy check as much as possible.

#80 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 10:13 AM

I believe we just had a strange freak thing of both magnetic contactors going bad at the same time. The main pump going bad was the motor itself. But to get the milking done this mornign, I figured it best to bypass all the parlor electrical and just run it direct off the pto generator. ALL the other 220V items are running perfectly, like the twin 5hp cooling compressors, so I don't think it's the main wiring coming into the parlor, or the main panel. Tommy will be here in an hour to save the day, or what will be left of it. He will be replacing the main vacuum pump, and we've already put a new magnetic contactor on it's line, so we should be good to go with the new outfit, but I'll have Tommy check as much as possible.

Dan, There are some preventative maintenance things you can do with the contactors. Most models have changeable contact tips inside that are reasonably easy to change and inexpensive when compared to the cost of a new contactor. The manufacturers usually recommend that you change the tips when they wear beyond half of their original thickness. When the tips wear, they will carry the full voltage, but will not be able to sustain full current. When that happens, they get hot and start to degrade ever further and faster. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

#81 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 10:22 AM

I hope the ghosts in the parlor are evicted soon. There's always something on a working family farm.
But as always on a successful one, people as you keep their head up and continue on. Good luck with the latest.

That Big Dipper is pretty cool. I had never seen one either.

#82 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 12:52 PM

Well, the new motor & pump can't be used yet. Our pulley won't fit the new motor shaft, BUT they got both standby pumps fully functional. Had them put in new magnetic contactors, and one had a totally shot start capacitor, the other a totally shot run capacitor, and the second one was on it's way to totally shot. We don't know how we got the morning milking finished on that one, but with the generator cords coming through the open window, the cold air is likely all that kept the motor's heat safety from kicking out. Next week I'll pick up a new pulley adapter & get the new unit online. So I will get a little shop time today after all. But I'm not likely to get much done, as my mood is far from perfect for wrenching. Took some ibuprofin, but the head still aches. But at least things have calmed for the moment....and I'll take that!

#83 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 01:06 PM

Hopefully things will go better for you Daniel. With a lot of machinery in use I can understand how things are bound to break and need your attention.

#84 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 01:09 PM

I'm sorry to hear that the electrical gremlins have camped out at your place Daniel. Good that you got a handle on it and are up and running for milking. May your afternoon and evening go trouble free and the gremlins have moved on down the road!

#85 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted February 05, 2011 - 05:01 PM

I think I forgot to update you guys on the "sinkhole bull". He stayed on the back of the farm for days, so we started taking him bales of hay, as he had to be hungry, but too sulled up to come up with the heifers to eat. Then I stopped with the baled hay & he still stayed back there. I noticed his eyes didn't have that weird look, so got close enough to shoo him on up to the barn without any problems. Snow was off the ground, so safer to deal with him....just in case! Well, he stood there all afternoon, but never went to the feeder, and noticed him amble on off later on. The next day though, he's at the hay ring eating away, and been with the heifers ever since, so he's finally acclimating. Not seen him on the concrete eating silage yet, but he will given time. I have a smaller bull with the milk cows & he can breed all but the largest cows till the new bull gets used to concrete. I can do AI on the larger cows if needed. Looks like the bull saga has settled down....the rest is up to him!