#61 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 07:49 PM

Glad you got the cattle all loaded up without any mishaps. Sorry you had breakdowns to content with but I remember how some days on the farm everything you touched decided to break down. It makes you appreciate when all goes well on other days! Hope youfind your parts tomorrow and all can get going back together.

#62 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 07:57 PM

That is a pretty neat looking little machine.

#63 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 07:59 PM

Daniel wrote," TD&H.....our "newest" tractor is a 1980, so even it is 31yrs old now. Most things we buy need work right out of the gate, but costs way less in the end, and that's one reason guys like us are still in business. Some days it gets mighty old beating life into old worn "stuff", but other days it's not so bad. Kinda funny though, how I'll work my tail off on an old garden tractor & love every minute of it (most of the time), then when a piece of farm equipment kicks my tail, I get grumpy! LOL
I gotta sit down at the table in a few minutes to do some tax work, then get a shower & early bedtime I hope. I hope tomorrow goes a bit smoother & easier than today, but however it goes, I gotta take it. Just hope finding clutch parts isn't too hard."

I know what you are saying Daniel, Our newest forklift in our little prodution plant is a 1991, that I had to put another crank in last year after a rod bearing fell out from being to thin (wore out) LOL. Gt's and my 2 little girls and 1 big girl are the things that keep me going.

Have good evening and better tomorrow,

Brian

Edited by olcowhand, January 27, 2011 - 09:40 AM.
repaired quote

#64 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 26, 2011 - 11:30 PM

So where did you learn to use old equipment, Daniel? In my family it's generational...the Cockshutt 30 I learned to drive with was purchased used when my mother was in high school. The Deutz I used to use was bought used and the starter never did work right...it was okay though, because we had a hill.

I've seen a lot of people struggle a lot because they bought new equipment and had payments to make when money got scarce. Some of them made it, some of them didn't. No matter how scarce money got though, we always had enough to get by because the banker wasn't banging on the door.

#65 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 09:42 AM

So where did you learn to use old equipment, Daniel?

Pure necessity! You do with what you can afford IF you want to stay afloat. Gotta get to the shop in a few minutes. My Cat 910 wheeled payloader now has a brake caliper dumping fluid. So after lunch, will head to town for parts for the "Big Dipper", and a caliper rebuild kit for the Cat. Always something!

#66 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 09:56 AM

Pure necessity! My Cat 910 wheeled payloader now has a brake caliper dumping fluid. So after lunch, will head to town for parts for the "Big Dipper", and a caliper rebuild kit for the Cat. Always something!

It sure is a good thing that you can do your own repairs Daniel.

#67 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 11:17 AM

You learn that with the old equipment though, Maynard. I'm certainly not a master mechanic, and I'm constantly impressed with the work that people on this site do, but what I do know I know because of the small matter of old equipment breaking at regular intervals...usually at the worst possible time. Since Daniel has farmed all of his life with old equipment, I'm betting he has a lot more experience with that than I do.

#68 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 11:39 AM

I owned and worked on my junk all my life, thats because it was all we could afford. I wouldn't trade the experiences I have learned from fixing all my junk. It also helped growing up in a Midwestern Farm community. only a select few could afford new farm equipment.

I'm "PROUD TO BE A OLE FARM BOY"

#69 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 12:07 PM

Back when we farmed an extra 800 acres for grain, we were pretty quick at rebuilding the diesels. We worked the tractors mighty hard, and about every 3yrs, the Perkins 354ci inline 6's needed refreshing. Man was it tough driving those dry sleeves out of the block! Used a plate that just fit the sleeve thickness, then a big metal pin fit into it's center. From underneath I drove the sleeves upward with a sledgehammer. Arms would be shot after all 6....well, after 2 or 3! LOL Back then we didn't do "no-till", so ran the tractors up into the night getting the ground prepped. Can't imagine trying to farm extra acreage today!
While it might be fun being able to buy new tractors, I also wouldn't trade my learning through the repair of old equipment for anything. Learning to repair anything makes you more able to repair most anything else you come upon broken. Besides, new tractors & such are littered with electronics, which when broken, leave you without a clue how to fix. My older tractors can be repaired mostly with common tools. Try that with computer controlled implements of today!
Soon as Teresa gets back from taking my Mom to her Dr's appointment, we'll roll out for all the parts I need.

#70 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 06:10 PM

Went into town to get parts today. Local parts store was no help at all with the loader clutch. So went to next town & stopped at NAPA. As I entered the store with box of clutch parts, one parts man was telling a lady he'd been doing parts for 40 years. So I laid the box on the counter & said "then you're the man I wanna talk to". He looked into the box & said..."that's a Ford clutch". The engine in the loader IS a Ford, so I knew I found the right guy! Clutch/pressure plate, throwout bearing, & pilot bushing will either be in tomorrow or Monday. The Cat loader brake schematic was different than I had imagined, so I need to get a closer look to see exactly what I need, as the way it's made, parts will be pricey. Don't wanna order anything I don't actually need. Got my torch oxygen bottle swapped out, and other little items I need. ------------ This is weird.....my font has changed as I've typed this post all on it's own.

#71 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 27, 2011 - 09:39 PM

Daniel, You need to get that guys name that works at the NAPA store and right it down along with the phone number to the store. A knowledgable guy like that is almost impossible to find anymore. I quit going to the local NAPA because all they had for counter people were young kids who if you had all the right info might be able to get you the correct parts.

#72 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 07:14 AM

Daniel, You need to get that guys name that works at the NAPA store and right it down along with the phone number to the store. A knowledgable guy like that is almost impossible to find anymore. I quit going to the local NAPA because all they had for counter people were young kids who if you had all the right info might be able to get you the correct parts.

I know what you mean... I had to get a new Briggs starter clutch for my 900 and the guy just kind of looked confused when I showed him the part I needed. The other mechanic came over and said to him "you probably dont even know what thats for do you" LOL

You just cant find good help these days :wallbanging:

#73 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 08:30 AM

I think it's like that at most places now. I'm lucky,my local NAPA store has people working there that know what you're talking about when you ask for something.

#74 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 09:37 AM

Went into town to get parts today. Local parts store was no help at all with the loader clutch. So went to next town & stopped at NAPA. As I entered the store with box of clutch parts, one parts man was telling a lady he'd been doing parts for 40 years. So I laid the box on the counter & said "then you're the man I wanna talk to". He looked into the box & said..."that's a Ford clutch". The engine in the loader IS a Ford, so I knew I found the right guy! Clutch/pressure plate, throwout bearing, & pilot bushing will either be in tomorrow or Monday. The Cat loader brake schematic was different than I had imagined, so I need to get a closer look to see exactly what I need, as the way it's made, parts will be pricey. Don't wanna order anything I don't actually need. Got my torch oxygen bottle swapped out, and other little items I need. ------------ This is weird.....my font has changed as I've typed this post all on it's own.

Reminds me of trying to buy parts for the Big Green Truck. It was kind of built out of spare parts, but older Chevy small block stuff is pretty interchangeable as long as you know which side the dipstick is on and what the bolt pattern on the starter looks like. The kids at the parts store can really only look things up by computer though, so I was always making up years and saying things like, "Let's pretend it's a 1978."

#75 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts

Posted January 28, 2011 - 04:19 PM

Will be next week before my clutch kit comes in, but in the meantime, the MF1855 w/FEL got the stalls bedded just fine. I posted about that in "What did you do WITH your tractor today". Been a long day & I milk again tonight, & my son's day off tomorrow. Makes it a 13hr work day, but got a lot done. Looking at the Big Dipper loader doesn't make me cringe as much after scraping the old grease & dirt off it. Will be much easier going back together. I also got the new universal pressed into the driveshaft after lunch.