#1 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 11:56 AM

I have one of the 10" tiller/cultivators made by Noma, branded Dynamark, with a two-cycle Tecumseh engine (I've had it several years).  Yesterday, I was tilling some garden with it when the tines stopped, engine running good, but little tine rotation!  I'm assuming the centrifugal clutch went out.  I'm going to check with the local mower shop tomorrow, but expect to have to replace it.  

From what I've found online, it looks like maybe Mantis or Earthquake brands.  The Mantis doesn't list engine brand, so I'm assuming they use whatever they can get the cheapest.  It is listed as 21.2 CC & is 20 lbs.& sells for $300

The Earthquake has a similar size tiller listed as 43CC Viper two-cycle engine, 33 lbs. for $200 (locally) or a four-cycle, 33 lbs. for $300.

Any opinions on these or other brands?

I'm going to need one as soon as the ground dries out again!  ~~  Lowell

#2 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 12:05 PM

I have one of those.  Does the engine bog down when you rev the engine?  If so, you may have a rock caught in the tines.  That happens to me all the time.  If not, the clutch may have gone or you may have stripped the lower end gears.  The engine is mounted with 4 bolts you can access from the bottom side.  The clutch is below the engine.  You'll see it when the engine comes off.

DSCN2351.JPG tiller red.jpg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, May 11, 2014 - 12:45 PM.

#3 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

grnspot110

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,292 Thanks
  • 2,395 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 12:49 PM

Engine runs fine, problem is a drive-line problem some where.  ~~  Lowell

#4 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,622 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 01:15 PM

I had a Mantis that didnt last very long.  It lost the spark module and it was around 180 for the one part (from memory)

If they have gone back to a regular pickup, they were/are good tillers... just the CDI was a very weak spot IMHO.

I even tried to retro a coil, but the mounting bracket ended up defeating me about the time it caused a backfire that shouldve singed my eyebrows.

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted May 11, 2014 - 01:43 PM

Mantis uses a Kioritz/Echo engine.  Good little motors, and as long as the problem is carburetor related it is cheap to fix. 

If I was shopping for a tiller, I would buy one of those expensive string trimmers with removable attachments and get something that I can use the rest of the year for other jobs.  The Echo version is excellent, the Stihl version seems to have a good reputation. 

If I was buying one, I'd find a Maruyama.  I've wanted one of those turkeys for awhile. 

http://maruyama-us.c...cutter-systems/

Ben W.