39 replies to this topic

#31 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 08:24 PM

Well, May was actually a pretty dry month.  We basically had 4 inches of rain one day in the middle of the month, then no more real rain until last night, so the lawn and garden were getting pretty dry, though I've been watering the garden well.  These pictures were taken this weekend, I swear I think everything has nearly doubled today after last nights rainfall.

First planted corn is doing well, the second planting is coming right along.  I'm using Preen this year to try and control weeds right around the plants where mechanical cultivators can't reach.  The weeds are still coming, but it seems to be less than some other years.

attachicon.gifGE 020.JPGattachicon.gifGE 017.JPG

Potatoes are going well mostly, but a few areas simply didn't produce anything at all.  I'll try going back soon with some grocery store russet potatoes and see if they will fill in the gaps.

attachicon.gifGE 018.JPGattachicon.gifGE 023.JPG

And I used the Gravely with the tiller to go between the rows.

attachicon.gifGE 025.JPG

Very nice garden!!

#32 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 09:15 PM

I did a little work to the garden today.  Everything is coming along nicely, the cucumbers are starting to spread and climb the fence.

I wanted to mound up around the potatoes today, and only one of my 4 running Gravelys had the rotary plow already attached.  However, when I checked oil and gas, there was no gas, with just tiny traces of water in the bottom of the tank.  I got some "heet" water remover, added it to the tank, then filled the tank with gas treated with sea-foam and Stabil.  I also took a moment to clean the sediment bowl.  When I got the bowl to stop leaking, I took ONE PULL and the old thing just fired right up after sitting since August of last year!  This was Dad's LI, just a bit fast for normal garden plowing, but it did ok to mound up my potatoes.

I also top-dressed the corn, both the old and the younger plantings.  It sure is looking good.

The white potatoes I planted didn't come up very well, so last week my wife showed me some Russet potatoes that were sprouting eyes, and I cut them and planted them in the empty spots in the potato rows, we'll see how that goes.

• sacsr said thank you

#33 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted June 14, 2014 - 10:18 PM

I hilled mine last week. The Gravely still had gas from the last time i ran it and I cant remember when that was. I opened the valve and let the bowl fill, wrapped the strap and she fired up. I do love a magneto ignition.

• HowardsMF155 said thank you

#34 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 04:21 PM

I walked my garden this afternoon and found a potato beetle infestation!  After answering someone else's questions about how to get rid of them!  

Garden 001.JPG Garden 002.JPG

So I quickly sprayed with some dedicated Colorado Potato Beetle killer.

The rest of the garden is coming on nicely.  The squash and zucchinni are producing, as are the cucumbers and green beans.

Garden 005.JPG Garden 006.JPG Garden 009.JPG

The first planted corn has tasselled and put out silks, so I've seen corn pollen drifting around in the garden.  The due date on this variety should be around the middle to end of July.  The second planting is coming up healthy too.  In the following pictures, you can also see the potatoes are mostly doing well, flowering and growing tall.  Garden 007.JPG Garden 013.JPG

• coldone, sacsr and Gabriel have said thanks

#35 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 07:41 PM

Looking really good Howard!
  • Gabriel said thank you

#36 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted June 28, 2014 - 08:57 PM

I walked my garden this afternoon and found a potato beetle infestation!  After answering someone else's questions about how to get rid of them!  
attachicon.gifGarden 001.JPGattachicon.gifGarden 002.JPG

So I quickly sprayed with some dedicated Colorado Potato Beetle killer.

The rest of the garden is coming on nicely.  The squash and zucchinni are producing, as are the cucumbers and green beans.
attachicon.gifGarden 005.JPGattachicon.gifGarden 006.JPGattachicon.gifGarden 009.JPG

The first planted corn has tasselled and put out silks, so I've seen corn pollen drifting around in the garden.  The due date on this variety should be around the middle to end of July.  The second planting is coming up healthy too.  In the following pictures, you can also see the potatoes are mostly doing well, flowering and growing tall.  attachicon.gifGarden 007.JPGattachicon.gifGarden 013.JPG

Nice garden Howard!

#37 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 12:09 PM

I have to post this.  Dad bought and planted some Flame Lilies, or "Gloriosa" Lilies for Mom after they moved back to the States.  When we were selling the house, I harvested as many plants and root systems as I could, they start from a tuber in the ground.  See this page for more information and an excellent photo.  http://www.kew.org/s...erba-flame-lily

Anyway, I don't think any came back last year, and I thought perhaps they had all died off.  But three plants have come back this year, and one has flowered!  Here are some shots

GE 012.JPG GE 015.JPG

Also, a small hibiscus plant my wife bought is steadily growing and getting prettier every year.

GE 019.JPG

• sacsr and Gabriel have said thanks

#38 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted July 03, 2014 - 09:07 PM

Very pretty flowers! Thanks for sharing!

#39 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 29, 2014 - 07:14 PM

Time for a bit of an update, but no pictures.  I had two plantings of corn, 4 rows about 25 feet long in each planting.  I harvested about 125 ears off each planting.  Some we ate fresh picked over  couple of weeks, but about 80 ears from each planting was prepped and frozen.  Most of the other crops are doing as well as might be expected.  The exception is the potatoes.  I was expecting good things this year as the potatoes that sprouted were tall, green, leafy and bushy, just the sort of canopy you would expect to produce a great crop.  It's been about 90 days since they were planted, so I've dug one or two plants over the last week.  The potatoes are small, or misshapen and number only around 10-15.  The plants look like they might be starting to die back, so I would expect that this is the right time to be getting some new potatoes, only I'm not getting any.

• sacsr said thank you

#40 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,311 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted July 30, 2014 - 06:28 AM

We've just been to wet up here. Plants stunted, turning yellow, probably corn in another week. Cucumbers ok so far, taters aren't going to produce diddly.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massey, gravely, garden