• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:05 AM

looking good.     send some warm weather up this way.     

#17 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:28 AM

I kind of wish I could.  It is forecast to hit 93 F today, and I'm just not ready for that kind of heat.  

It remains to be seen if the last two weeks of dry weather and warmer temps here are a return to what I've begun to think of as "normal" NC conditions, or if the cooler, wetter pattern that was in place last summer and through the winter will remain in place.  The "cooler, wetter" pattern of last summer actually was a better match for the "average" conditions than I've seen in a while.

#18 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 13, 2014 - 07:59 AM

next year I"ll try soaking the seeds .....bet that works great.   

#19 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 13, 2014 - 08:01 AM

we are cool and damp up this way... upper 50s and low 60s all week up this way, we desperately need some 70s and 80s to bring things along.
  • Gabriel said thank you

#20 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:40 PM

Today was long and productive!

First, a few more plants were up in the garden, the butter beans and the green beans.

5.14.2014 pics 004.JPG 5.14.2014 pics 005.JPG

And it seems like the corn has doubled in size today:

5.14.2014 pics 006.JPG

A couple of years ago, when I couldn't keep driving my ranger but had too much else going on to get around to fixing it, I parked it on an old garden area I wasn't using.  I moved the truck last week for the first time, so since it was out of the way I wanted to level the old garden area up, cause it was a real pain mowing with the plow furrows still marking the edge of the plot:

5.14.2014 pics 007.JPG

I used the Gravely to rotary plow it, then used the Gravely tiller to help level it more, then used the disk for a final "fluff" and level.  It was a real pain trying to use the disk here, because there was no place to turn around.

Then I started cutting bushes.  I trimmed about 30 feet of bushes at the entrance to the subdivision, and used my Massey and a 4x8 trailer to haul the clippings.  Then I started trimming the bushes at the front of the house.  Those bushes have only had "trims" every year since we moved in, so I decided to give them a good cutting.

5.14.2014 pics 008.JPG

I ended up with a huge stack of clippings behind the house.  I'm going to have to buy a chipper, or else find one to rent that isn't too expensive.

5.14.2014 pics 002.JPG 5.14.2014 pics 003.JPG

• sacsr and twostep have said thanks

#21 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 08:20 PM

Ok, that big brush pile is gone, a query on a local homeowners message board produced a chipper for me to use.  I let the chips and leaves blow out into the garden since I wanted mulch on the garden anyway.  Plants have made Good progress for the most part.  The corn, cucumbers, green beans, zuchinni, squash and red potatoes have all done quite well coming up and are looking good to me.  However, the white potatoes have not done well at all, the butter beans were a little spotty, and the garden peas did not come up at all.  So, I replanted in several areas, adding more butter beans to the butter bean area, and completely replanting the peas and adding acorn squash at the end of the row (as directed by my wife).  I'll leave the potatoes, but I don't think the missing ones will appear at this point.  I also got in the second planting of corn, which is now up also.   In addition to the mulch created by the brush pile, I've been hand weeding and putting out Preen once the seeds are up.  Hopefully, the yearly weed battle won't be quite as bad as it has been some years.

GE 001.JPG GE 002.JPG

GE 004.JPG GE 005.JPG

GE 007.JPG GE 010.JPG

• sacsr and Gabriel have said thanks

#22 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 08:25 PM

Also, the old strawberry bed I plowed and leveled back up, I put down grass seed and straw and have kept it wet these past weeks.  Currently the grass is coming up nicely, so this should blend back into my lawn very nicely.

• Gabriel said thank you

#23 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 29, 2014 - 08:36 PM

Here is another little planter/flower box.  My daughter wanted to put some begonias in it, but only got 6, which did not fill the space.  Thinking I'd like a small space to grow onions in, and to help keep some weeds at bay, I planted onions around the begonias.  I sure thought the begonias would get bigger, but they haven't.  The onions are doing well.  The big surprise is the plant in the second picture.  Before Mom passed in 2004, Dad had found and planted some Gloriosa lilies which we all loved growing up.  After Dad passed and before the house sold, I dug up and planted several of the lilies in different places.  This was one of those places, but the plant died the same year I planted it, and did not return the following summer.  It is a tuber based plant, so it regrows year after year.  Anyway, greatly to my surprise, especially considering how deeply I tilled this little patch, a Gloriosa lily has grown in, so I will be looking forward to seeing it bloom.

GE 012.JPG GE 011.JPG Gloriosa Lily.jpeg

#24 coldone ONLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 05:50 AM

I am trying to stay ahead of the weeds too. I am using a sears cultivator behind the 1650D while the plants are small enough to drive over. I also picked up a hula hoe at Lowes. If you aint got one, go get one! That thing makes weeding easier. Even in my clay soil it will get under the ground and get the weeds. I like it so much I am looking at making something like it to either fit on the gravely or behind the Horse tiller I have.

Heres a link

http://www.lowes.com...=hoe&facetInfo=

PS. Its so easy to use even my wife is helping with weeding.

Edited by coldone, May 30, 2014 - 05:50 AM.

#25 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 07:42 AM

I have seen references to a "stirrup hoe" which I think is what that is.  Right now I've got two hoes and the Gravely with a tiller on it, though I would like to figure out a way to use the cultivator tool bar in my garden space.

I make my two oldest boys help with the weeding  :rocker2:

PS:  I need to get my parts tiller over to you one day soon.  But now that I'm out of school, I'm busy looking for a job and catching up on all the projects that I put on hold while I was in school!

Edited by HowardsMF155, May 30, 2014 - 07:44 AM.

• coldone said thank you

#26 coldone ONLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted May 30, 2014 - 04:45 PM

Dont worry about that tiller, finding a job is more important.

#27 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 07, 2014 - 09:56 PM

Garden looks good

#28 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted June 07, 2014 - 09:57 PM

Yes...it's best to find a good job to fund the hobbies

• oldedeeres said thank you

#29 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 10:43 AM

Well, May was actually a pretty dry month.  We basically had 4 inches of rain one day in the middle of the month, then no more real rain until last night, so the lawn and garden were getting pretty dry, though I've been watering the garden well.  These pictures were taken this weekend, I swear I think everything has nearly doubled today after last nights rainfall.

First planted corn is doing well, the second planting is coming right along.  I'm using Preen this year to try and control weeds right around the plants where mechanical cultivators can't reach.  The weeds are still coming, but it seems to be less than some other years.

GE 020.JPG GE 017.JPG

Potatoes are going well mostly, but a few areas simply didn't produce anything at all.  I'll try going back soon with some grocery store russet potatoes and see if they will fill in the gaps.

GE 018.JPG GE 023.JPG

And I used the Gravely with the tiller to go between the rows.

GE 025.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• GE 016.JPG

#30 sacsr ONLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted June 10, 2014 - 07:09 PM

Looking good! We have been dry over here.....must have gotten two rains in the past 3 -4 weeks.....both times were gully washers and it was gone........grass is greener today but sure could have used a nice soaker at this point.

Keep up the good work Howard!

• Gabriel said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massey, gravely, garden